Timezone presets don't account for daylight savings

Like many people, I have lots of calls with clients in other time zones. When I create a new event, I like to use the ‘add timezone’ feature to schedule the event according to my client’s availability.

No problem right? Just click ‘add timezone’, set to my client’s timezone (in this case, London), then enter the time. Easy. BUT there is a huge and potentially embarrassing problem, in that the list does not account for daylight savings. London is NOT currently UTC, it is UTC +1. So my client requests a meeting at 9am their time, and I accidentally send them an invite for 10am their time. Its a dangerous trap, and makes the whole feature unreliable.

I just posted on another thread about time zones and assumed that EMC took daylight savings into account by tapping into the OS data, which does take it into account. Well, you know what they say about assumptions :face_with_thermometer:

2 Likes

It is really important that summer/winter times work correctly, so I am interested in this topic.
Question for you: is there really a problem with the feature?

I would habe thought/hoped that the system will automatically select whether its winter or summer time, right? I.e. winter and summer time changes are clearly defined in time/date. So as long as you define the correct date, it should put your appointment at, say, UTC+1 or UTC+2.

Your post seems to imply that eClient may not ajust a calender entry once it has been logged. That of course, would be a huge problem.

There certainly was a problem when I originally posted. I have since stopped using eMClient for scheduling events, because of this problem, and the difficulty of finding the correct city from the dropdown list.

Since then, the software has been changed so it doesn’t show the timezone (only the region/city), and it is also not currently daylight savings time so its hard to test if this problem is still there.

Screenshot 2022-12-02 at 13.44.37

Time zones do account for daylight savings. If you take @keiichiban example, June 30 2021. The event will include the following in its headers:

BEGIN:VCALENDAR
VERSION:2.0
BEGIN:VTIMEZONE
TZID:GMT Standard Time
X-EM-DISPLAYNAME:(UTC+00:00) Dublin\, Edinburgh\, Lisbon\, London
BEGIN:DAYLIGHT
TZNAME:GMT Summer Time
DTSTART:00010325T010000
TZOFFSETFROM:+0000
TZOFFSETTO:+0100
RRULE:FREQ=YEARLY;BYDAY=-1SU;BYMONTH=3
END:DAYLIGHT

It will be correctly adjusted for you in your calendar view based on your own timezone. Your settings are taken from your OS as @Victor.David correctly commented above. So it will always be correctly displayed relative to you no matter what zone you are in, and as you move between zones, as long as your Windows time settings are correct.

2 Likes