Thunderbird Detected for Import but "No accounts to migrate."

I would like to try out eM Client, but I am unable to import accounts and mail from Thunderbird. This occurs with the first time run wizard and Menu > File > Import…

It would be nice to point eM Client to the Thunderbird profile directory in order to perform the import. The version of eM Client is 7.0.27804.0

Hello Darian,
are both the Import whole accounts/Import selected folders empty?
Is the ThunderBird data in the default location?
If not and the default location is empty, a window pops up to ask you for the files location instead.
Are there any files in the default TB profile location?

Regards,
Olivia

I do not understand your question about “folders empty.” Attached is a screen capture that shows the dialog window that is supposed to show my Thunderbird accounts.

The Thunderbird data is not in the default location. I need to import it from a backup location. There is no window that appears to ask where the files are located. The only window that appears is the dialog, see attached screen capture.

I have upgraded to eM Client 7.0.27894.0 and experiencing the same problem. The screen capture is from the 7.0.27894.0 version.

Hello Darian,
the screenshots answers the question about the options being empty.
The issue I believe is that you have the profile for TB created in your computer (but there is nothing in it), so eM Client loads the content of this default folder and does not ask for the new location (aka your backup location).
So you need to go to your default Profile location (http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Thunderbird) and make sure it’s empty before you try to import the data to eM Client (so it knows to ask for the alternate location).

Regards,
Olivia

Interesting. I do not have Thunderbird installed but did have the profile folder. I deleted the Thunderbird folder and attempted the eM Client import. eM Client did acknowledge this time that I did not have Thunderbird installed and I was prompted to select a data folder to import. I selected the backup folder and then choose to import whole accounts. Once again no accounts were found.

Below is a screen capture of the backup profile folder as selected using the eM Client import wizard followed by a screen capture of the profile directory.

Hello Darian,
this is indeed strange and could also mean the file backup could be corrupted.
We could have a look at it if you didn’t mind sending the profile backup to us for analysis.
You can send it to me to [email protected] with a link to this forum topic.

Or you can try installing TB first and restore your profile first to see if TB recognizes the accounts (and then try import to eM Client).

Regards,
Olivia

The profile is 711,213 KB after being archived (ZIP). Do you need the entire profile?

Hello Darian,
I asked around if the whole profile is needed and had one additional question: You tried to ‘Import whole accounts’ but did you try the ‘Import selected folders’ option?

As for the files: You can leave out the ‘Mail’ folder as we only need the account info (and the Mail should be the largest part of your database anyway).

If it’s still too big, I suggest using a cloud service for sending the file to me, for example DropBox.

Regards,
Olivia

I have been trying to import folders, I set up the accounts manually since I don’t have Thunderbird installed.

I have e-mailed you a link to an archive (ZIP) of the profile folder without the Mail subfolder.

Hello Darian,
I just got reply back from our team and turns out the solution is very simple.
You need to choose the folder ABOVE your actual profile (the one with the profiles.ini file) so the accounts can be recognized correctly :slight_smile:
Hopefuly this will help anyone else experiencing the same issue in the future as well.

Regards,
Olivia

My accounts imported but no folders, hence no mail other than what was downloaded from the server.