The spam filter started doing something unexpected a few weeks back...

So, I just discovered I have a problem with the spam filter. I had contacted a few people to buy some second hand stuff, and never found a reply in the inbox. After checking the spam folder on a whim, I see the hoped-for replies there… along with another couple of messages from people on my contact list, sending the kind of messages that went through just fine earlier this year. (I can’t give you a precise date for it, but messages that were filtered out now were absolutely approved before.) Some of these were what passes for mission critical - I do translations for this company that had sent me an e-mail notice of a new work unit, which ended up in the spam folder.
I have made some filter rules on my own, but they’ve been in place for months without apparent issues.
What happened? Can I reset the spam dictionary somehow, maybe? What can I do to keep this from happening in the future?

Hi Arve, eM Client does not have a spam filter feature, so if some of your emails are ending in the junk folder it has to be done by your server and not the application.
eM client only moves email that was manually marked as junk into the junk folder, you can edit domains/addresses that were added to the blacklist in Tools > Rules > Blacklist.

Hope this helps,
Paul.

That actually makes some degree of sense, seeing as the same conditions were just fine a couple of months ago. (But, to be fair, there is in fact a filter labelled ‘Spam filter’ among the rules. This filter can’t be easily examined/evaluated or edited by myself, though, since it was apparently ‘not created using the wizard’.)

Either way, I’ll have a chat with my ISP, then.

Hi again Arve, that item is the server based rule, that’s why it can not be edited.

Thank you,
Paul.

A follow on: I have the same issue and lease my server from a hosting company.  I can assure you that the server has no “server based rule” and I have never set the email server to have any.  So how does one get rid of the SPAM rule as I can’t seem to delete it?

I ask as it seems that eM Client is putting new msgs into a folder called SPAM - I remove them to their proper folders but they keep coming back to the SPAM folder.  Even if I delete those emails and then delete that SPAM folder, something keeps recreating that SPAM folder AND any “deleted” emails are back in that recreated folder!

Thanks!

-Skip

Hello, SPAM folder is usually a default server folder that can’t be removed, you can find your default folders settings in Tools > Accounts > Your account > IMAP, if you’re using an IMAP account.

If you’re referring to the default “SPAM filter” rule in Tools > Rules, this is not an eM Client junk filter, this rule only works with your server filter that automatically detects your email for spam (most email servers have at least a basic spam filter).

If all your mail is being redirected to the SPAM folder, please navigate to Tools > Settings > Advanced and enable IMAP and Rules logging for the problematic account, save the settings and replicate the issue. Once your messages are again received in the Spam folder rather than your Inbox, please go back to the advanced settings window and submit the logging data to us for more information.

To submit the data, use the “Send logs” button in the advanced settings window, before you submit the logs, please restart eM Client to quit the logging session first. Submit the data to my work mail, mcgregor@emclient.com with a reference link to this forum topic.

Thank you,