Terms and Conditions Violation Email

My 15yr old son received this email today:

Dear eM Client user,
I hope this email finds you well.
My name is George Wilson, and I am writing you regarding the terms and conditions of the Free eM Client license you are using. 
Based on our records we suspect that you are using eM Client for commercial purpose. In the case of non-personal use, please use this link to buy an adequate number of Pro licenses. The Pro version allows you to use eM Client in business, use an unlimited number of mail accounts and you will get Pro support. 
If you are convinced that you are not breaching our terms and conditions, please get in contact to avoid similar misunderstandings in the future. 

Best regards,

George Wilson
eM Client

What ‘records’ is em Client reviewing, better yet, what records is em Client storing on users?

This seems like a pretty heavy handed sales approach to me - not sure I like it. 

BTW - I own a PRO license per em Clients terms and conditions, but my 15 yr old son does not because he qualifies for the free license based on em Clients terms.  

Hi Mark. Maybe they got the two of you confused. :wink:

I doubt anyone on this user forum would know much about eM Client’s records, so better to write to eM Client about your concerns. George did ask that you contact him if there was any misunderstanding.

I got the same email today.  No idea why it would appear I’m using email for “commercial” purposes.  I buy things from Amazon & Ebay occasionally, but no selling on my part.  Seems suspicious to me.

Maybe send an email to George and it can easily be resolved.

I did respond to the license violation - here is the reply I received:

We are very sorry for this misunderstanding - our system marked your email as potential commercial use by mistake. I have just corrected the records thus no further action needs to be taken. 

So it sounds like they are reading the email sent / received via em Client to some extent.  I cannot find anything in the terms / privacy policy where they state they do this - maybe I missed it.  Has anyone else seen this in the terms / privacy policy where they have permission to transmit information about emails being sent to their servers for their use?

I can assure you that they are not reading your emails. I had a discussion about this last year with Olivia and am satisfied that their process is completely ethical.

If they are reading emails, why would they think I’m using it for commercial purposes?  I rarely email anyone, & I do no business transactions at all.  I get a lot of junk mail tho.

I just now received a response to my email.  Same as your, Mark R. Evans.

Subject: eM Client Free license usage

Dear eM Client user,
I hope this email finds you well.

My name is George Wilson, and I am writing you regarding the terms and conditions of the Free eM Client license you are using. 

Based on our records we suspect that you are using eM Client for commercial purpose. In the case of non-personal use, please use this link to buy an adequate number of PRO licenses. The PRO version allows you to use eM Client in business, use an unlimited number of mail accounts and you will get PRO support. 

If you are convinced that you are not breaching our terms and conditions, please get in contact to avoid similar misunderstandings in the future. 

Best regards,

George Wilson Sales department

my response

Dear eM Client Sales Department,
Attention: George Wilson,

Thanks for your email, but I am concerned. Is this email you sent regarding business? If so I’m sorry I can not do business via this email address. Also concerning is the fact that you may have access to my email account? Am I to understand that your company eM Client is reading my personal emails sent and/or received? Who would permit such things? Hillary Clinton wouldn’t. Although Edward Snowden may have warned us. (snaps fingers loudly) Feel free to call me regarding these issues and or email me your business terms of service you spoke of and I will carefully review them. 

Best Regards
Brendon Shave

eM Client Inc. don’t read your messages; that is not possible.

But whatever their reason for contacting you, if they have made a mistake and you are not violating the terms of the Free License agreement, please contact them directly by replying to their email. eM Client employees do not usually participate here so your public comments serve no purpose.

The terms and conditions he referred to are those you accepted when registering. You ticked that you agreed to them but probably you did not read them at all. You can find them here.

thank you