Synchronizing folders needs to be improved

Synchronizing IMAP folders takes a considerable amount of time. I have some folders that have sub-folders and even though they are rarely changed, they are synchronized every time I start the app. Surely there is a flag (or could be) for the parent folder so it knows it’s not changed, ergo, its children have not changed, thereby preventing unnecessary folder syncs?

As far as I know the sync process pretty much works how you describe. At start-up the two message stores are compared and if there are any differences the necessary messages are synced. Therefore, if there are no changes to the folder it does not sync.

Right, but with a subtle difference. Every child folder is checked, even if they have not changed. My point is that their parent folder should have a flag so that the children are not checked.

For example, let’s say I have a folder called “parent” with 3 children “child1”, “child2”, “child3”.

Currently “child1”, “child2”, “child3” are checked needlessly, when the “parent” folder could have a flag that says none of my children have changed, therefore skip all of them.

Even the simply process of checking flags takes quite a bit of time with my folder structure, and more often than not, only the inbox has changed.

I understand what you are saying. I always thought that it was per folder basis and not per massage as that would just take too long comparing every message. A few dozen folders should not take but a second if there are no new messages.

Maybe someone with more technical knowledge can comment, .

Thanks, just as a data point, I quit the app and re-launched, according to the log, the sync started at:

10:23:13 AM Online state: changed to online due to NetworkAvailability
and ended at:
10:24:26 AM [email protected] [IMAP]  Synchronizing subfolders: Done

That’s over a minute of syncing every time I launch the app.

That is a long time if there was nothing to sync!!! Not familiar with Apple severs, so don’t know if there are any issues there. I use GMX with standard IMAP folders plus 12 sub-folders, and with the same test (just a few new emails) it took 3 seconds to sync IMAP, CalDAV and CardDAV.

20:41:33 Online state: changed to online due to NetworkAvailability
20:41:36 GMX [IMAP]  Synchronizing subfolders: Done
20:41:36 GMX [IMAP]  Synchronizing messages: Done

Maybe eM Client developers can offer you some improvement in future releases, so I voted for your idea. :slight_smile: