Suddenly unable to receive mail, but able to send. Webmail is fine, so it's not my server.

I’m suddenly unable to receive email. I get this error:

[IMAP] An attempt to connect to xxx failed. This could be caused by temporary server unavailability or incorrect settings. Do you want to check the settings?

I haven’t changed any settings and I checked with my hosting company and webmail is fine. I am getting mail there, it’s just not making it to eM Client. I seem to be able to send email without issue though. Can you please help? Thank you!

Hi, what mail service are you using or what mail hosting?
Also what version of eM Client are you using?

Thank you,
Paul.

Hi,
I use JustHost for my hosting service. I used their webmail from the cpanel to check my mail and I have about 6 messages since yesterday that won’t download to my local eM Client. I’m using version 6.

Thanks!

Can you please make a screenshot of your IMAP/POP settings from Tools > Accounts > Your Account > IMAP/POP tab?

Did you use automatic setup when you were setting up the account? Was it working properly before or are you having issues with this since the original setup?

Thank you,
Paul.

Hi Paul,
Please see attached the screenshot you asked for.

It was nearly two years that I set up my account, but I’m sure I must have used the automatic setup, as I don’t know anything about this stuff. It’s been working fine all of that time.

I recently let eM Client update, but I am not positive if this issue began immediately after the update or not.

Note, I am not having trouble with the smpglobal account - only 3-dcat

Hi again,
can you please try setting your port to 143 and use “Use SSL/TLS if available” as your security policy?

Thank you, let me know if it helps.

Paul.

Hi Paul,
I made the changes and it’s stuck on “Synchronizing subfolders”. It seems like the program is unresponsive.

It’s been a couple of hours and it’s still unresponsive - the little circle is spinning and the Operations tab says synchronizing subfolders.

Hi sorry for the belated reply, did the account by any chance finished the synchronization? Or is it still stuck? The initial synchronization can take some time, but maybe it’s a different issue.

Thank you,
Paul.

Hi Paul,
No, it’s still stuck on synchro… It must be something else.

Hi, can you please go to Tools > Settings > Advanced, and turn on IMAP logging for the account, restart the application and if you experience the issue - the account keeps synchronizing folders but in fact doesn’t do anything - go back to the Advanced Settings window and click on Send Logs.

Please add my email as a copy to the email with the logs ([email protected]).

Also you could try right clicking inbox, select Properties > Repair and click on Repair. That might be a solution, but if not please send me the logs.

Thank you,
Paul.

Paul,
I sent you the logs, but remember I won’t be able to receive mail at that address. Weird that sent mail goes through fine, but nothing incoming…

Paul,
Any ideas? I had to switch the port back to 993 because my other email address wasn’t working. I don’t understand why this happened all of a sudden!

Hi, I’ve received your logs but unfortunately they don’t contain any data, can you please turn on the logging again and use send us the logs with the current settings (leave the port set to 993).
Another thing you could try (if you already didn’t), try removing the problematic account and set it up again.

Also is it possible you’re using proxy or firewall?

Thank you, I’m sorry you’re experiencing this issue.
Paul.

Hi Paul,
I sent you the logs again. So this is weird - I haven’t received mail since last week when I first wrote to you, but when I clicked send/rcv to send you the logs, everything came through - then the error came again - “unable to connect…” So I had a brief window where it worked, but now it’s down again. I will try your suggestion to remove the account and start over and see if that works. Thanks!

I spoke too soon - all of those emails showed up in my inbox, but when I click on any of them it says that they were unable to download bc I am not connected to the server.

Hi Paul,
Deleting and re-installing the account seems to have cleared up the problem. The only side effect is that now my main account (the one I deleted) is listed 2nd on the left sidebar. I tried dragging it to the top of the list, but that didn’t work. Is there a way to re-order the way the accounts are listed? Thanks for your patience… Almost there… :slight_smile:

Paul,
I figured it out myself. You’re free! Thank you so much for your help. Hopefully, whatever glitch caused my problem won’t happen again. Thanks.

Hi, that’s great news! You can arrange the list of your account in the account window. Just click the account you want to move to the top of the list and use the arrows under the list, that should move the account to the right position.

Let me know if it worked and if you have any more issues with your client, let us know as well!

Thank you,
Paul.