Subfolders showing new email

Hello, I created filters that will automatically move new emails to my specific folders. I also have many subfolders. If I do not have the subfolders open (just the main folder which contains the subfolders), the new email will not be notified in this main folder with for instance “1”. Only when I will manually open the main folder showing the subfolders I will be able to see new email the “1” in the subfolder. In other words, I cannot see I have received a new email in the subfolder.
Cheers,
Marco

Hi Marco, unfortunately eM Client only synchronizes your inbox, all other folders are synchronized upon click. But you should always be able to see if new email is available in the subfolder, when the subfolder shows “…” next to it instead of the unread count. You should be able to avoid this by using eM client rules instead of server rules and by using the “Download messages for offline use” option.

Unfortunately this is a feature of the application.

Hope this helps,
Paul.

Hello Paul, I am a bit confused.

You said eM Client only synchronizes my inbox, but when I receive a new email in another folder (through a filter/rule) I can see the new email in that folder (which is not inbox). The main folder never shows “…” when there is a new email in its subfolder.

I am using eM client rules : for instance, if I want an email going to a specific folder I right click on the email and I create a rule from. Then I will decide the folder to move to.

I do not find the “Download messages for offline use” option.

I am trying to find an alternative to Thunderbird. But this issue is a deal breaker.
Marco

As I mentioned previously if you’re using eM Client rules, the message is first received in your inbox and immediately sorted to your subfolders, this way you’ll be notified and the folder should display unread count. But if the email was sorted by a server based rules, eM client only receives an information that new messages are available in the folder and the messages are downloaded after you click on the folder.

You can find the download messages for offline use option by going to Tools > Accounts > Your account > IMAP, and there you should be able to check this option (if you’re using an IMAP account).
Or right click the account in the left sidebar and select Properties > Offline > Download messages for offline use.

Hope this helps,
Paul.

Hello Paul,
from your email I understood that if I would check the option Download messages for offline use I should be able to display unread count from the main folder (if my email goes to a subfolder too). I checked this option but still I cannot see anything from my main folder (if the subfolder is not open). I understood that checking this option would eliminate the “server based rules” issue. Am I missing something?
Marco

Hi Marco, yes by using server based rules and by having the “Download messages for offline use” option enabled, you should be able to see unread count for subfolders instead of the three dots which were only indicating new email available. Note that after checking the offline option, it takes some time until eM Client synchronizes your folders for offline use.

Hope this helps,
Paul.

Hallo Paul, I am a new user of eM Client and I was reading this topic because I have the same problem, I tried the solution you suggested (enable the option “download messages for offline use”) and now, like you said, I am able to see the number of unread mails instead of the three dots.
The problem is that, also in this way, the program is not notifying me the presence of new emails in the subfolders, when the program is minimized in the system tray I am not able to see the yellow envelop for new emails in subfolders.
Is there a way solve this problem?
Matteo

Hello again, unfortunately this is not possible using eM Client’s options, the notifications can only be shown for newly delivered email from your inbox.

Thank you for your answer.
Do you think that it would be possible to introduce this option in the future release of the software?
Matteo

It is unfortunately not currently possible to display notifications for the subfolders as the server does not submit this information to us, however we’re considering improving the offline behavior in future releases.