Slow opening attachments

It takes several minutes to open simple short video attachments. This is not acceptable. How can I fix this?

The easiest solution is to have eM Client download attachments when mail is received.  By default, the client only downloads the header information and downloads the email contents when the message is selected.  The same goes for attachments, as by default it only downloads attachments when selected (and to save space requires the attachment to download each time it is selected).

Go to menu/tools/accounts and on the IMAP tab (I assume IMAP), check the following boxes:

1.  Download messages for offline use and
2.  Include images and attachments.

I personally do not download attachments automatically, but find even the largest attachments download in a few seconds.  The reason behind the slow speed of you downloads could be internet speed or an AV program that scans the attachment as it downloads.

I have the same problem and have had it from day 1 when I started using em client. I have reasonably fast broadband so the internet link is not the problem. 
What surprises me is I see conversations which are dated 5 years ago that talk about the same issue. Wake up emclient developers!

In the meantime I will try Jay Ograms work around.

2 Likes

Hi Jay. I have done all that you have suggested and the Download messages is checked and it still takes 20-30 seconds to download a small MP4 file, any other suggestions?

That’s not a fault that its taking 20-30 secs to d/l a small .mp4 file when you have a normal IMAP setup that just reads headers and d/l’s content. Sometimes even large resolution pictures can take that long.

Same problem here : very very slow attachement downloads.

I searched for solutions on this forum, but nothing did it for new emails (gmail). Opening a 5.8 MB excel file took more than 3 minutes on eM Client (sreenshot available lok), 5 seconds with Outlook.

I have been using Outlook for 1 year after a long time on Thunderbird, and eM Client on a less used laptop. I’m now testing eM Client as my main client. As I’m working a lot with attachments, the attachments list from the same contact is one of the feature I enjoy the most, but the download speed makes the whole program useless.

Please tell me how to fix this and let me buy eM Client.

1 Like

Do you use VPN? Try to switch it off and check whether downloading attachments is faster now.

Sometimes problems like this are also caused by anti virus programs. Maybe it is possible to switch off the mail checking in the anti virus program.

Thank you for you tip, but I’m in general now using a VPN.
I’ve also tried to exclude em client from the email checking (windows defender). It might be just a little bit faster, but it’s still pre-ADSL speed compared to Outlook, slower than opening attachment on my phone.

It’s seems more like a “built-in” problem… So my question is, in all sincerity, does em Client compare to other clients in terms of speed or not (with files large enough to make a difference) ?

1 Like

If you are actually using a VPN, this might cause the problem of low speed concerning the download of attachments, but I am not sure. Give it a try maybe.