Setting up eM Client for IMAP

Recently tried eM Client and really like it, but I need it to be configured for IMAP and can’t figure out how to change it. My Outlook Express doesn’t work any more and I’ve been using Mailbird, which auto-configured for IMAP, but eM Client has automatically defaulted to POP3 operation. I need IMAP to get round connection timeouts that BT tell me can’t be resolved (not without them actually trying to do something, I siuspect!), and POP3 drops out after downloading one email. Hence I’d like to reconfigure eM Client. Any help gratefully appreciated.

OK - on my last attempt, I managed to configure for IMAP after all - so ignore the question!

Hi Steve, glad you were able to resolve the issue, please make sure to let us know if you come across this or any other issues or questions about the application, we’ll be happy to help.

Thank you,
Paul

Seems I spoke too soon - having configured eM Client for IMAP successfully (I think!), I still can’t get emails to download or upload. I think this is probably not the fault of eM Client because timeouts are a known issue for all the six years I’ve used email on broadband.

BT always claims the problem is at my end, but it has persisted across five different computers, three different Windows operating systems and four different email clients, so I can’t see how it can be my PC or software that’s at fault.

Outlook Express (though it’s broken now) used to work once BT had set it up to IMAP rather than POP3, and Mailbird works too, although both took / take inordinately long times to download emails. Outgoing mails can hang on the screen for a minute or more and sometimes appear not to have completed sending when they have  been sent. I’ve checked my home telephone wiring and all is in order, so I think it is a problem BT are fobbing me off about.

However, eM Client simply kicks out an error message when I try to download mail, instead of taking a long time over the download. Here’s the log eM Client generates (I’ve replaced my actual email address with the words ‘(my email address)’ to avoid displaying it here, otherwise the log is as generated. Does it give any clues other than that there are long pauses - and does anyone have any ideas what might cause this or how to fix it or how to get eM Client to ignore the timeouts?

21:08:28 Online state: changed to online with reason NetworkAvailability 
21:08:28 (my email address) [IMAP]  Uploading messages: To folder (my email address)/Sent
21:08:28 (my email address) [IMAP]  Synchronizing subfolders: For folder (my email address)/
21:08:58 (my email address) [IMAP]  Downloading message part…
21:08:58 (my email address) [IMAP]  Uploading messages: Done
21:08:58 (my email address) [IMAP]  MailExceptions.ConnectionException: No server response within 30 second timeout. —> System.IO.IOException: No server response within 30 second timeout.
21:08:58    at MailClient.Imap.Base.Connection.Connect(Func`1 getStream)
21:08:58    at MailClient.Imap.Base.Connection.Connect(String receiveHost, Int32 receivePort, Boolean explicitSsl)
21:08:58    at MailClient.Imap.ConnectionPoolEntry.Reconnect()
21:08:58    — End of inner exception stack trace —
21:08:58    at MailClient.Imap.ConnectionPoolEntry.Reconnect()
21:08:58    at MailClient.Imap.ConnectionPoolEntry.Connect()
21:08:58    at MailClient.Imap.ConnectionPool.AcquireConnection(Folder mailFolder, Boolean idle, Boolean forStore)
21:08:58    at MailClient.Imap.Synchronizer.AppendCommand.ExecuteInternal(WorkerStatus status)
21:08:58    at MailClient.Imap.Synchronizer.ImapCommand.Execute(WorkerStatus status)
21:08:58    at MailClient.Commands.Command.Process(WorkerStatus status)

Anyone who’s able to advise any sort of fix or solution will have made my Christmas! :slight_smile:

Hi again Steve, I’m afraid that if the server drops the connection, it is not possible for us to resolve this issue, what settings are you now using to synchronize the account using IMAP in Tools > Accounts > Your problematic account > IMAP?

Make sure you’re using the recommended settings: http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44917/~/bt-email%3A-what-are-the-settings-for-outgoin… and check if the issue persists.

If it does, I’m afraid that my best suggestion at this point would be reporting the issue to BTinternet technical support.

Regards,
Paul

Thanks, Paul.

I thought it would be down to BT - it’s what I’ve said all along, but they just fob me off with excuses and blame everything but themselves.

As far as I can see, my IMAP settings are correct as per BT’s recommendations, though I am not entirely sure about the SSL setting.

Which of eM Client’s options should I select for this - I assumed it would be ‘Use SSL/TLS if available’?  BT advice says I should have ‘SSL encryption enabled but not STARTTLS’.

Oddly, I was able to get some mail at first using eM Client with POP3 settings, but not since I’ve changed it to IMAP, (which is what my account is set up for and has been running with for a couple of years). 

I take it there’s no timeout adjustment setting in eM Client, then? Mailbird somehow ignores the timeouts and Outlook Express, when it was still working, also did that.

Regards,

Steve

Hi again, unfortunately there’s not timeout out settings option in eM Client, you can try to setup the security policy to “force usage of ssl/tls”, however do not use the (legacy) settings as that is based on the recommended settings not supported by BTinternet.

Regards,
Paul