Sentry spyware in eM Client Android application

I am writing to express my concern about recent reports suggesting the presence of “Sentry spyware” within the eM Client Android application.

I am a user of your Android app and value its features. However, the inclusion of spyware would be a serious cause for concern.

Could you please clarify the following:

Is there any truth to the claims that eM Client for Android integrates Sentry spyware?
If Sentry is included, what is its purpose within the application?
Does Sentry collect any user data, and if so, what data is collected and how is it used?

I would appreciate a transparent explanation regarding this matter. User privacy is paramount, and I would be more comfortable continuing to use eM Client if I have a clear understanding of any data collection practices.

1 Like

Sentry is not a spyware. It’s a platform for monitoring and reporting application crashes. We host our own instance and the data about the crashes are not shared with any 3rd party, as per our Privacy Policy.

2 Likes

Can you make a option to turn it off?

No. It doesn’t send any data to us unless the application crashes or encounters an error.

Exactly what data is shared? Do you have log file to show?

I don’t have a log file to share, the Sentry product is open source (Application Performance Monitoring & Error Tracking Software) and has extensive documentation about their privacy policy and what is sent to their hosted servers. While we host the instance ourselves the general information still applies.

The data includes where the application crashed, device type and model, current language settings, application and OS version, time zone, and sometimes a history of the last few navigated pages in the app (eg. that you opened and closed Settings, or that you moved the app to background and then back to foreground). It doesn’t include any sensitive data from your accounts like contents of your mailboxes or emails themselves. We may collect the primary email address for user identification and contacting the users in case an additional information is necessary. All the data are processed in accordance with our Privacy Policy and applicable laws such as GDPR. They are retained for maximum of 90 days and used only for analysis of app stability issues and not for marketing purposes or anything else.

Do you see what other apps are running on the phone?

Not only we don’t, we don’t even have the permissions to query such information on iOS or Android.