SECURITY - google password known to EM

I had to change my google password then EM client ceased to work with gmail. I was asked to provide a password so I gave EM my google password. Then gmail worked but I received warning messages from google that EM can access my google account - I assume read my emails and access everything I have including dozens of saves secret passwords recorded with google? Is this true?

No, that is not true and I doubt that is what the message said. You probably just received a generic email warning you of what permitted apps can possibly do.

When you setup Gmail with oAuth these are the permissions that are given to eM Client:

If in doubt, go to your Google Security App Permissions and check what permissions are given.

2 Likes

Thank you for responding Gary. Can you tell me how to get to the pages you have illustrated please. I’m unable to recall. Here’s an example from one of the emails I received -

App details

Google\ 74x24

eM Client was granted access to your linked Google account

\ 20x20 (email address)
If you did not grant access, you should check this activity and secure your account.

Check activity

You can also see security activity

I followed a link to -

If you didn’t grant access, someone else could be using your account.

eM Client
Has access to Gmail, Google Calendar, Google Contacts, Google Hangouts
ACTIVITY COMPLETED FROM
Windows
LAPTOP-SNDJDKOF
United Kingdom
This device
Do you recognise this activity?

THEN ON FOLLOWINGLINK TO ACTIVITY -

If you didn’t grant access, someone else could be using your account.

eM Client

Has access to Gmail, Google Calendar, Google Contacts, Google Hangouts

info

ACTIVITY COMPLETED FROM

Windows

LAPTOP-S

United Kingdom

This device

Do you recognise this activity?

THANK YOU GARY

The first image is the permission request when you setup your Gmail account in eM Client.

The second image, the link is there just click on Google Security App Permissions then click on eM Client in the list of apps you gave permission to access your Google account.

Although, if you entered a password in eM Client, then it did not use oAuth, so my screenshots above do not apply. oAuth issues a certificate to eM Client to access your Google account, rather than a username and password.

Sorry about that.

Back to your original question: the only password that eM Client will have (if not using oAuth) is the Gmail password so that it can access your email, calendars and contacts.