Rules/Filters not automatic?

I have created many rules/filters but it seems I have to manually run them each time? Am I missing something or is there a way to automate the process every time new mail arrives?

lunes 13 diciembre 2021 :: 2222hrs (UTC +01:00)

Hi @LL7977

As you can run Rules manually and assuming they work the way you intend,
make certain that you have checked each rule (the very left hand column)

Menu ->Rules

¥Saludos desde la soleada Valencia en España!

Skybat
[email protected]

Hablo español, luego portugués e inglés, con conocimiento de varios otros idiomas.

Hi. I’m not sure what you’re trying to say?

I can run rules manually, but not automatically.

In other words, I have to select a folder each time, right click, and then select “Apply Rule”. This is to me is not an automatic way of running rules.

martes 14 diciembre 2021 :: 0821hrs (UTC +01:00)

Hi @LL7977

Sorry if you did not understand my English, does the following explain better?

What I am saying is that if you are able to run Rules manually and they do what you want,
there must be something that you have or have not done for them to NOT run automatically.
What I suggested is that you have in fact enabled the Rules by ensuring they are checked.
As when run automatically all Rules will run in the order that they are listed, you will need
to make certain that no Rule has an entry to skip checking any subsequent Rules (or words
to that effect.
Also when run manually you are selecting a particular Rule to run and NOT them all.

¥Saludos desde la soleada Valencia en España!

Skybat
[email protected]

Hablo español, luego portugués e inglés, con conocimiento de varios otros idiomas.

Rules only apply automatically to new messages as they arrive in the Inbox.

Existing messages, messages moved to other folders by the server, or messages read on other devices do not qualify. For those you will need to apply the Rule manually.

It’s not working here. For instance. I have mail that’s automatically classified as JUNK. I have set up filters with every possible known combination of terms (subject, from, two, etc) and from that particular email account Yahoo server and it always ends up in my Junk Mail. Of course, I select it’s not Junk.

Additionally, I also set up the same filters in my Yahoo account (for the above mail) and none of the filters work. However, Yahoo does a terrible job in filtering email in general.

Only when I “manually” run the rule in eMclient will it move out of my Junk mail and into my Inbox.

To be more specific, I want all messages with the subject line ‘Voice Message’ to be moved into my Inbox or to a particular email address (mine).

sĂĄbado 18 diciembre 2021 :: 0715hrs (UTC +01:00)

Hi @LL7977

What happens if you disable all Rules in eMC & Yahoo?

¥Saludos desde la soleada Sevilla en España!

Skybat
[email protected]

Hi @skybat,

I like your thinking. That’s a good question. Actually, nothing happens. The email still gets marked as Junk in Yahoo. I set up the Yahoo filters after the fact when eM Client couldn’t filter to my Inbox. However, Yahoo did work for a particular email address when I was very specific.

For example, if an email comes from “Caller #9995551212” with an associated email address of [email protected] and I create a filter in YAHOO, it will be filtered but the Yahoo filter won’t work if it’s not 100% exact (no wildcards, no contains, begins with, etc). I’ve had the same problem with other email associated with my Gmail account and rules not working in eM Client. No email is filtered in eM Client automatically.Only if I manually force to run the rule will eM Client filtering work.

This is because Rules will not apply automatically to messages already in the Junk folder.
You will need to mark the message as not spam in the webmail interface, then the server will leave it in the Inbox in future.

@Gary

What’s the point then of the rules when I have to MANUALLY go through hundreds of junk mails and mark the messages which are not Spam?

At least with Outlook (desktop client) it will scan ALL email before it’s placed in it’s appropriate folders even those marked as Junk and the rules will apply to them (even those in the Junk mail folder).

It should not be difficult for eM Client developers to add a subroutine to scan Junk mail folders when applying rules automatically.

Rules don’t apply to Junk (unless you run them manually).

If a message has already been moved to junk, why do you want to create another Rule to move it out of Junk? Just cancel whatever is moving it to Junk in the first place.

2 Likes

@LL7977

It should not be difficult for eM Client developers to add a subroutine to scan Junk mail folders when applying rules automatically.

I doubt the Devs would bother as it’s (not normal) to write automatic rules to move mail from the junkmail folder back to other folders. You would only normally do that manually as @Gary already advised above.

Yahoo does a terrible job in filtering email in general

As your Yahoo mail has terrible filtering as you say, I would then maybe also suggest as an alternative, maybe looking at setting up a different mailbox like eg: Gmail.com or Outlook.com which has excellent junkmail filtering and auto forward your Yahoo mail to that. Then add the new account in eM Client.

I’ve been using Gmail and Outlook mailbox servers for years with their automatic junkmail filtering with eM Client and it works great.

Yet, Gmail has that option for something which is (not normal).