RFC compliance bug with Spam Filtering

Just one for the devs:

I have been having mail delivery problems and to cut a long story short have identified that eM Client is causing an issue in any email I compose by generating a score of 0.82 for “MIME_QP_LONG_LINE_2 RAW: Quoted-printable line longer than 76 chars” on any message sent.

This is for a simple HTML text only message and does not occur when the exact same message is sent from the webmail client with all things staying the same. Here is a snippet of the Barracuda log for a test message:

X-Barracuda-Spam-Status: No, SCORE=0.82 using global scores of TAG_LEVEL=1000.0 QUARANTINE_LEVEL=1000.0 KILL_LEVEL=1.0 tests=HTML_MESSAGE, MIME_QP_LONG_LINE, MIME_QP_LONG_LINE_2
 X-Barracuda-Spam-Report: Code version 3.2, rules version 3.2.3.69368
 Rule breakdown below
 pts rule name description
 ---- ---------------------- --------------------------------------------------
 0.00 HTML_MESSAGE BODY: HTML included in message
 0.00 MIME_QP_LONG_LINE RAW: Quoted-printable line longer than 76 chars
 0.82 MIME_QP_LONG_LINE_2 RAW: Quoted-printable line longer than 76 chars

Here is a link to the SpamAssassin page for the filter: https://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/Rules/MIME_QP_LONG_LINE

I am using Win 7 x64 with EM Client v7.2.35128.0

Any devs want to take note? Log it as a call?

This is not really my cup of tea, but… “does not occur when the exact same message is sent from the webmail client with all things staying the same” - apparently not all things stay exactly the same, though. I would compare the sources (including headers) of the messages received in the two cases.

I have compared the headers which is where this issue has been noticed. With regards to things staying the same, it is that the mail is composed as HTML, a small paragraph of text only with the same formatting, font etc from the same account to the same account.

It appears to me that this is the EM Client generating that issue as it hasn’t stuck to the RFC requirement for 76 characters hence the Barracuda increasing the spam score.

I tend to agree with the conclusion. What I meant to say is that if the message sent via webmail doesn’t trigger the same MIME_QP_LONG_LINE RAW, then the contents of the message must be different than eM’s, which can be doublechecked by looking at the source of the received messages.