Restoring backup (zip file) to new laptop

Hello. I have been trying for MANY hours over the past week or more to restore my backup file to a new laptop. I have read several posts on this issue on this forum but none of the solutions offered will work.
I copied the backup file on my old laptop onto a USB flash drive and then copied this on my new laptop into the designated file restore path … C>Users>Username>AppData>Roaming>eMclient.
I can see that the file is there but the “restore” function does not recognise it. I have tried this on numerous occasions in past week. I have also tried to use the “extract” function on the zip file - which extracted successfully - but again the file is not recognised.
After multiple attempts at the “restore” process I am now receiving the following message:-
System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not find file ‘C:\Users\mhall\AppData\Roaming\eM Client\backup_202209101930.zip’.
File name: ‘C:\Users\mhall\AppData\Roaming\eM Client\backup_202209101930.zip’
at System.IO.FileInfo.get_Length()
at MailClient.DbBackup.FormBackup.Restore(String backupFile, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
at MailClient.DbBackup.FormBackup.Restore(CancellationToken cancellationToken)
at MailClient.DbBackup.FormBackup.<>c__DisplayClass27_0.<MainForm_Load>b__0(Object a, DoWorkEventArgs b)
at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.OnDoWork(DoWorkEventArgs e)
at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.WorkerThreadStart(Object argument)
This is getting very frustrating! eM Client is otherwise working fine on my new laptop and I have used it successfully for past 7 years on my old one but this is proving more than a headache. Please can you help ? Thanks

You can’t have the zip file in the database folder. It will not work.

Save the zip file in the default …\Documents\eM Client\ folder then try again.

Thanks Gary but that didn’t work.
There is no folder EM Client in >Documents.
I did however find the database folder in >Program Files (x86) so I moved the backup zip file to that location and managed to restore it successfully.

Hi Gary and Melanie, i have exactly the same problem and question but for a MAC - would you know in which folder i need to copy my ZIP backup file?

See my previous instructions:

1 Like

@ET1111

Problem and question but for a MAC - would you know in which folder i need to copy my ZIP backup file?

The backup / restore default folder location for Mac is exactly the same folder as Windows. “Documents / eM Client”.

Note:- If you want to change the backup / restore location on the Mac later, go to “Menu / Preferences / General / Backup”.