Restore or import database to a new computer

Many users of this forum have had issues with restoring backups. In fact the help file for emclient does not ever say how to restore a backup if needed.

1. The way it is supposed to work is you click on menu/file/restore But for some reason this has not worked for many members of this forum.
    2, In addition to saving a backup to an external USB drive using the eMClient backup process I also have two folders on the same USB drive back up and I copy the complete emClient data from the C/Users/Username/AppData/Local/emClient to one backup folder and then I copy
    C/Users/Username/AppData/Roaming/emClient to another backup folder.
    That way all I need to do for a new setup is simply copy these two folders back to the C drive when I install emClient on a new computer.

It’s easy - just run eM Client and use the Menu > File > Restore option. If you have more than one backup file in your backup folder, you will be able to select a backup based on the date it was made. If you don’t have any backup files, the program will let you select the location from where to load backups.

The best way to move eM Client to another computer, and to ensure all your data and settings are brought over is through Backup and Restore. If you are having difficulty with that, here are a few easy steps to get it done:

On the old device:

1. Create a backup through Menu > Backup (Menu > File > Backup in eM Client 7 and older)
  2. Deactivate your license if you are no longer going to use eM Client on this device in Menu > Help > License
  3. Find the .ZIP backup file and move it to your new device (default in …\Documents\eM Client)

On your new device:

1. Install eM Client (Download eM Client for Mac | eM Client)
  2. Skip initial setup
  3. Restore from your backup through Menu > File > Restore. If you put the backup file on the new device in the same folder structure as the default (…\Documents\eM Client) the restore will find it right away, otherwise, you’ll need to specify the path where the backup file can be found (Menu > Settings > General > Backup).
  4. Activate your license in Menu > Help > License

Gary - I have spent all day try to get my files off my old emclient to my new pc. Eveery time I try to restore I get a message that the backup directory can’t be found please select another file HELP=

viernes 15 diciembre 2023 :: 0854hrs (UTC +0100)

I do not know where you have placed the Backup file from your old computer on your new computer but to restore that does not matter.
When you try to restore and you get the error message you will have the choice to navigate to where you placed it, do this, select the ZIP file and restore from there.

¡Buena suerte!

Alvaro Muñoz (skybat on holiday)

¡Los mejores desde Valencia y mantente a salvo!

[email protected]

Hablo español y catalán, luego portugués, inglés, francés y árabe.
con conocimiento de varios otros idiomas.

1 Like

I am still stuck. I even paid for some help to no avail. I’ve tried backup and restore and the restore function does not recognize the data on the backup. I am running version 7 of eM Client. trying to migrate to windows 11 environment on a new computer. 3 days I have invested in this task. I need another way to move the mail to A GMAIL account

@Emily_Strachan

I am still stuck. I even paid for some help to no avail. I’ve tried backup and restore and the restore function does not recognize the data on the backup. I am running version 7 of eM Client. trying to migrate to windows 11 environment on a new computer. 3 days

What version of eM Client are you now running on Windows 11 ?

Also are your eM Client 7 dated backup.zip files in the default “C:\users\yourname\Documents\eM Client” folder ?

Also when you try to restore an eM Client backup, do the dated backup files appear in a list to select from when you go to “Menu / File / Restore” ?

martes 19 diciembre 2023 :: 1215hrs (UTC +0100)

Hey Emily

Sorry I did not get back to you quicker I needed to be away for work for a few days in London but I can see @cyberzork is trying to help and he will have more knowledge than me, I am just a help for @skybat when is away.
Anyway I can see you did not answer @cyberzork yet.
My first thought is maybe your backup version v7 of eM Client is not compatible with the version of eM Client you have installed on Windows 11, if it is v9.2.2157 but I do not know probably @Gary can say on this.
If there is a version compatibility issue I guess you have some options:
1./ On your old computer upgrade v7 to v8 or v9 then make a new backup, you will need to pay to go to a new version and if you do this go to v9
2./ Install v7 on your new computer if it is possible to install the version, I do not know if it will but as you do not have what you want you have nothing to loose to try, you will of course need to uninstall what you have installed now first.
If it is a help here is a link to download the last release I can see of v7:

eM Client v7

Probably it is best to aim for v9 at some point

I hope you can understand my English

¡Buena suerte! y ¡Feliz Navidad!

[email protected]

1 Like

I have no option to upgrade client 7 where would i fond it

martes 19 diciembre 2023 :: 2005hrs (UTC +0100)

Hey Emily

To upgrade to v9 of eM Client go to:

UPGRADE LINK

Then follow the instructions.

¡Buena suerte! y ¡Feliz Navidad!

[email protected]