Restore and backup

I set emclient to backup every 2 weeks and saved to ext. hard drive using win 7 pro. This machine has now died, the replacement is win 11 and I reloaded emclient, how do I restore the backup to the new one, I don’t want to mess/experiment and find I have lost everything.
Any help would be much appreciated,
Thanks

miércoles 02 agosto 2023 :: 2051hrs (UTC +0100)

You first need to copy your Backup file, on a USB stick, to your new computer and place it in:
Documents/emclient (simply create the folder if it is not there.
To restore:
Menu ->File ->Restore
Dependant upon the file size it could take a few minutes,

¡Suerte!

skybat

¡Los mejores desde Valletta Port y mantente a salvo!

[email protected]

Hablo español, luego portugués, inglés, francés y alemán
con conocimiento de varios otros idiomas.

Thankyou for your help,
for some reason I expected the ‘backup’ would save my ‘contacts’, unfortunately they have all disappeared.
Terry.

The backup is a snapshot of the complete database at the time it was made, so will have all the data that was there at that time; local and cached synced data.

However, as soon as you have restored it and the connection is made to the server, while local data will remain as it is in the backup, all synced data reverts to whatever is on the server.

Were the contacts that are missing synced with your server?

Synced? I have no idea.
I just assumed backup/restore would return everything to the selected date.

Synced? I have no idea

What that means is that if you added those contacts in eM Client (via the contacts tab at the bottom left) to a eg: IMAP, Exchange, Office 365 or iCloud account, when eM Client next refreshes, those contacts will then sync with your server online account contacts.

So then if you restored and eM Client backup, after the restore completes, all your server account contacts will then sync back to your eM Client account contacts and be the same.

Synced means you can see the same data in eM Client as you see in webmail, or with any other device connecting to the same account.

Please can you walk me through this, I plug in the ext drive and select emclient backup (zipped) and then…what next?
Please…

1. Create an \eM Client\ folder in your Documents folder.
  2. Copy the backup zip file from the USB device to that folder.
  3. Start eM Client and use Menu > File > Restore.

Unfortunately that did not work. Not to worry, I will start again from square one!

1 Like