Reply / Reply All uses wrong From email

It is not clear why you would want to reply to the email using an address other than the one it was sent to. But if you do, you can chose to send it from any account using the dropdown option in the message compose window.

Gary I’m not sure you understand the problem. The current actions create confusion on who really sent the email.
Example 1: Work account and personal account on same eM Client. I send a work email and BCC my other account. I forgot to add something, so I do a ReplyAll, add the content and send. It just sent it from my personal account. Very unprofessional and people don’t know who the email is from.
Example 2: Husband and wife accounts on same eM Client. Husband send an email about family function and CC wife. Adds additional info to email with a ReplyAll and sends email. eM Client just sent it from wifes account. Family member does a Reply, it goes to wife. Husband does not see message (he does monitor her email).

1 Like

For this scenario, if you reply to that message in the work account sent folder, it will be sent from the work account address. If you reply to it from the Inbox of your personal account, it will be sent from the personal address. You just need to choose the correct folder to reply from.

OK. Let me clarify it.
1- Assume account B sends one email to accounts A and Z.
2- A is manager of B, who has both accounts A and B on his system. Until now, we have an email like below:
To: A,Z

3- The manager decides “Reply All” from account A. So the email is expected to be like below:
To: B,Z

But it does not happen in eM Client as the default, because the first email “From” field is B, and, eM Client will put B in “From” field in case of “Reply All” while A is sending email. It does not make sense.

To get rid of this problem (you may not see this issue as problem but it is), eM Client must consider active account to find “From” field in case of “Reply All”, not the original “From” field.

If a message has been sent to the address of an account you have setup in eM Client, and you reply to it, it will be sent from the address it was sent to. If you want to use another address to reply from, select it from the dropdown options in the compose window.

1 Like

Gary we understand what eM Client is doing. But the emails being send are incorrect because of the way eM Client is choosing the FROM field. As in IronKing63 example, the emails in step 3 should be from A, the active account. This situation was fixed for the Sent folder between version 8.2 and 9.2. Let’s do the same for the InBox. (I have both versions running on different PCs). Thanks.

@Artie

Example 1: Work account and personal account on same eM Client. I send a work email and BCC my other account. I forgot to add something, so I do a ReplyAll, add the content and send. It just sent it from my personal account. Very unprofessional and people don’t know who the email is from

If i create an email sent from “my default email work address” and bcc my personal email address. After the email sends, I then go to the sent folder and hit reply all, and the sender address “is still my default work email address” which is correct.

Now if then the personal email address was an account configured in eM Client “and that bcc email then arrived in the Inbox” and you hit Reply all, then the sending address when sent “will be the personal email address and not the default email work address” unless you change it via the dropdown as @Gary advised above previously.

In the SEND folder it works correctly, the email will be from the active account (works correctly in version 9; incorrect in version 8 and earlier). But if you Reply All from the InBox, the email will be from the local account in the TO; CC; BCC field, if present.

@Artie

In the SEND folder it works correctly, the email will be from the active account (works correctly in version 9; incorrect in version 8 and earlier

What specific version of V8 doesn’t work like in V9 when clicking Reply all in the Sent box ?

But if you Reply All from the InBox, the email will be from the local account in the TO; CC; BCC field, if present.

Yes if you hit “Reply All” to a bcc email that arrives in your inbox, the sender email address (once the email address has been sent), will show as the bcc email address (unless you change it in the dropdown) and won’t be your default account email address which is correct.

The only time in this scenario the reply address will be the default email address without changing it, is if you click Reply All “in the Sent box”

Note: By local account I presume you mean default account.

Version 8.2.1721 “if you are in the default account”,
in the SENT folder, and the non-default account email is in the TO, CC, BCC
a Reply/Reply All will use the non-default account in the TO, CC, BCC for the FROM address,
not the active account.
Version 9.2.2093 “if you are in the default account”,
in the SENT folder a Reply All/Reply will use the default account email address as the FROM regardless of what’s in the TO, CC, BCC.

Note: Version 9.2. I found when using the non-default account with Reply from the SENT folder and use the default accounts email in the TO, CC, BCC then the FROM will be the default account email, unless you happen to put the non-default email in the TO, CC, BCC.

By local account → I mean any email account defined in eM Client.