Reply / Reply All uses wrong From email

Gary, I appreciate your input but you are continually missing the point. I fully understand eM’s current behaviour. The logic I am proposing does not describe what eM currently does but what it should do. The current logic is fine when you receive an email from Sender A and reply to it, but falls down when replying to your own message.
I have tried to make my point clear and suggested a way to improve the product. I am sorry if I have not explained it clearly, but don’t have further time to spend on this. Please try the following and hopefully you will understand the point more clearly:

Starting from a position of using eM Client configured with more than one email account. Let’s say you have a business account and personal email account configured with the business account set as the default sending account.

1. Send an email to an external email address from your personal (non-default) account.
  2. Open the the email you just sent, click Reply All to send a follow-up email to the same person.
  3. eM Client pre-selects your business account as the “sent from” account, despite the fact that you sent the previous email from your personal account. This is illogical and can (and does) lead to miscommunication. Other email clients, such as Outlook do not behave this way and correctly pre-select personal account as “send from”, it being more likely that one would want to continue the email conversation using the same account. My assumption is that it does this by additionally checking the who the email was sent from and checking for a match against local accounts first. If it doesn’t find a match then it checks who the previous email was sent to and checking for a match against local accounts.

This is a bug from e-client. If we are inside an email account the sender must be always this email account and not another e-mail account.!!!

This is a bug from em-client. If we are inside an email account the sender must be always this email account and not another e-mail account.!!!
[/quote]

Only if the message was sent to that address. But if you move a message sent to account B into the Inbox of account A, replies will still be sent from account B. That is by design and not a bug.

Sorry, but it is a bug. Please check how it works Outlook or Gmail or any other email. If you are inside an account it doesn’t matter if you are inbox or sent box folder if you reply to message by default will propose the email account you are inside. Ok you can change the sent email account but by default should propose the email account you are inside. If many people are claiming it is because something is wrong. When make reply to a sent message is like to make an addition to a message we sent before. The sender and receivers should be the same. I hope it is clear.

Yes, when you are in the Inbox for your account (or any other folder for that account) and you reply to a message sent to that account, the reply will be sent from that account. That is how eM Client works.

If you reply to a message sent to another account you have setup in eM Client, then the reply will go from that account.

That means if the sender sends a message to [email protected], if you have that account setup in eM Client, the reply will go from [email protected]

Ok, it is not bug it is how eM Client works. Therefore, we are complaining the way eM Client works. By default, the sender should never be changed. Please, check Outlook or Gmail work. I never thought it was possible to be inside an email account and be sending emails from another account!!!

The reply will be sent from who the message was sent to. So if the message was sent to one of your email addresses setup in eM Client, the corresponding address will be used to send the reply. That will never change.

However, if the message was not sent to you, that means it was not sent to one of the email accounts you have setup in eM Client, there is no way you can reply using someone else’s address. Your email provider will not allow that. In that case the account in which folder the message is, will be used to send the reply.

The reply will be sent from who the message was sent to only if the email address is setup in eM Client otherwise it is sent by the sender and not by the receiver. These are two ways of thinking for the same situation. The sender changes if the receiver it is setup or not in the eM Client. Sorry, it doesn’t make sense for me.

Yes, if the message was sent to [email protected] and you have that account setup in eM Client, your reply will go from [email protected].

If the message was sent to [email protected], and that is not your account setup in eM Client, your replay will go from the account in which folder the message is in. That is because you can’t send a message from [email protected] if you don’t have that account setup in eM Client. That is not possible.

1 Like

Yes, if the message was sent to [email protected] and you have that account setup in eM Client, your reply will go from [email protected].

Yes, if the message was sent to [email protected] and you have not that account setup in eM Client, your reply will go from sender account.

For the same sender and same receiver, you have different results for the same situation depending if have or not setup the receiver in eM Client.

Sorry, doesn’t make sense.

If the message was sent to [email protected], and that is not your account setup in eM Client, your replay will go from the account in which folder the message is in. That is because you can’t send a message from [email protected] if you don’t have that account setup in eM Client. That is not possible.

Fortunately, it is not possible. Works perfect.

Yes, as I said it is not possible. If you don’t have [email protected] setup as an account (or alias) in eM Client, it will be sent from the account whose folder the message is in.

1 Like

It is a petty that is possible when we setup an account in eM Client!

Would be possible to have an option when we reply a message in the send items folder to propose by default the same sender and it doesn’t matter if the sent to is or not setup in eM Client?

That is not possible if it is not your address. If it is your address, just add it to eM Client either as an account or alias, and the reply will go from that address.

Let me comment on this procedure. I will insert step 1 like this:
1- Check which account is selected and currently using by user. This is the priority of finding “From” in case of “Reply All”.
2- Check who the original email was sent from, if it is one of the local accounts then pre-select this account as the FROM address.
3- …

My Experience about this issue:
I have User M which is manager who checks A and B accounts which A belongs to Manager and B belongs to stuff (User S). When User S sends email from account B to customer while User M (By account A) is in “To”, the problem occurs. When User M wants to REPLY ALL, eMclient puts account B as “From” which is not correct. This happens because eMclient does not have step 1 above.

For the reply, eM Client will use the account that message was sent to, regardless of what folder the message is in.

The from address is who the reply will be sent to. It is irrelevant when choosing what account to send the reply from.

Thanks Gary for the reply.
I have no claim about 2 but for 1:
This is exactly the difference between eM Client and other (Outlook, Thunderbird,…) clients. They consider the account or email address is currently using (selected by user) not the account is sent to. Here I do not care of folders, but selected account.

To double down with ironking63:
From a user perspective, I would want the FROM to always be from the account I am actively using (unless I manually override via the pull down SEND). I don’t see why eM Client would use the TO address. The TO address could have 5 different email addresses and one is selected based on ???