Red triangle saying connection failed?

Why do I keep getting a red triangle saying connection failed?

Thank you

The best answer, to start, would be to tell/show us:

eMC version
Account settings (minus any personal info)
Email host name
Operating system version…
Recent changes to your system, how long this issue has been happening

The red triangle has always shown up but when I click on it I get new email.
Version 9.0.1708 (2cfb4a5)
POP 3 Host: pop.mail.yahoo.com
Port: 995
Security Policy SSL/TLS on special port (legacy)
SMTP smtp.mail.yahoo.com
Port 465
Security Policy SSL/TLS on special port (legacy)
Windows 8.1
Only changes were the recent eM Client update

Thanks

Any error/warning messages in the MENU > OPERATIONS > ERRORS or LOG?

Check immediately after the red triangle presents itself…

Just his in log:

at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
              at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Message& m)
              at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
              at MailClient.Common.UI.Forms.BaseForm.WndProc(Message& m)
              at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
              at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
              at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, WM msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
              at Xilium.CefGlue.Interop.libcef.run_message_loop()
              at MailClient.Program.Main(String[] args)
         GUIStatus_Exception_Reported = True

This seems to be a recurring problem, lots of posts about it, I had the same problem.
I upgraded on April 17 from V 6 (I think it was 6), because it was not connecting to my exchange account.
V 9 worked fine with my 3 accounts (Exchange, Ionos, Fastmail) until last week.
All of a sudden since last week, It connects Ok to Exchange, randomly to Ionos and never to Fastmail.
All my settings are fine, I had to download Thunderbird used same settings and moved my mail there (Owl needed for Exchange).
There is a problem with Em client, maybe related to Windows updates? Because nothing else changed in the computer.
My mail works fine everywhere else (Outlook in MAC, Apple app on 2 iphones and 1 ipad and Thunderbird on Windows)

Also, sending mails became slow, they sit on the outbox from a few seconds to a lot of minutes. Even funnier, a client called me to ask a few questions about the mail I sent, while it was still sitting on my outbox.
Em client should notify users once V9 is fixed, meanwhile I am staying on Thunderbird (cannot afford not getting mails from my clients).

That is not the full error. Can you repost with the first few lines that start with [POP3], which contains more useful information.

This?
7:20:49 PM [email protected] POP3 Connecting: To [email protected]
7:20:50 PM [email protected] POP3 Connected: To [email protected]
7:20:50 PM [email protected] POP3 Listing messages: From [email protected]
7:21:59 PM [email protected] POP3 Downloading messages: From [email protected]
7:22:01 PM [email protected] POP3 Disconnected: From [email protected]
7:22:01 PM [email protected] POP3 Disconnected: Done

I’m another suffering same issue. Started with upgrade to v9, i have a paid full licence. Other email clients on other devices all okay. I have mailbird on same device, no connection issue. Pretty obvious it is an emclient upgrade issue. Can we go back to previous version until resolved?

You will find an answer in the eMC Knowledge base

The exact location is here: https://support.emclient.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/195/0/how-can-i-downgrade-back-to-em-client-8-em-client-7-or-older

can u send mails?

have you tryed delete account and set it up again in eM?
so you have had it all the time and in all versions?

I can send and recieve emails. The red triangle shows up sporatically

Antivirus? :thinking:
(There was some issues with some of them, IIRC. Try disabling email filter.)

Thanks, where do disable email filter?

It is proven that disabling email filter lets emails work and Red Triangle goes away, but why should we put ourselves at risk if emClient can’t work together with AVG when a new version is released, or maybe, before it is released might be an idea !

Shouldn’t your email provider be doing server side email filtering for spam and viruses so that disabling a virus scanners email scanning wouldn’t put you at risk? Additionally if you downloaded any email attachment to you computer, the virus scanner file scan would catch it even if you turned off the email scanning functionality part. So I don’t necessarily see turning off a virus scanners mail scanning as a big deal if you have a good email provider.

Not always the case. New virus’s are incredibly smart and quick to spread. Plus virus’s may not necessarily arrive in the emails, but may snoop or be picked up while using the email client. Plus the antivirus email shield is protecting you from sending virus’s.

It only takes one sneaky virus or similar to ruin your life for several weeks. I don’t intend to let that happen simply because my paid for email provider won’t work with my paid for antivirus provider, to ensure that when a new version is released, that it actually works as designed. Lets remember, AVG didn’t do anything. emClient released a new version.

Yes I agree a virus can be incredibly smart and quick to spread, which means the virus has a high probability of also bypassing the virus scanner if it is that smart. In fact in my experience I have seen it happen many times where the virus scanner doesn’t recognize these new and quickly spreading viruses. So just because you have a virus scanner, doesn’t mean it eliminates all the risk. A really important thing is being careful what you execute, especially a directly executable file (.exe) or an Office document that wants to be able to run macros.

When you say they don’t arrive in emails, but may snoop or be picked up while using the email client I am assuming you mean someone already has a virus and it is using the email client as a vector for malicious activity. If you already have a virus running rampant on your system you have a lot more things to worry about then it snooping on your email client (such as it snooping your web browser traffic).

Lastly, if I understand things correctly, AVG is the one doing the blocking, not eM Client. So the way I look at it is that AVG did do something since it is the one actually blocking eM Client from functioning, so maybe someone needs to contact AVG about fixing their virus software so it doesn’t block legitimate software.

Don’t get me wrong, I think having multiple layers of security is never a bad thing. I just find fault in blaming the issue on the software being blocked, rather then the software doing the blocking. I don’t think it is fair to blame a new software release with a different signature that triggers a virus scanner to block operability of that software. It even gets more difficult when virus scanners are always updating their virus databases and at times have false positives (which happens a lot).

So hopefully at some point either eM Client staff or an eM Client user contacts the virus scanner in question to resolve their issue of blocking some legitimate software like eM Client from functioning the way it was intended to. Until that occurs, having a work around like disabling the email scanning functionality of that virus scanner is better then nothing.

2 Likes