Recommended settings for IMAP Server

I’ve tracked down my problem of the inability to send emails to my IMAP settings; the settings for SMTP work perfectly as proved by the diagnostics! Please suggest the proper IMAP server settings. Also, no matter hard I try, I can’t find a way to completely simply delete the IMAP settings completely?

Bill

Just about all mail hosts have that information available on their site.

What error messages are you getting ?

Also what IMAP settings do you have ?

Have you ever been able to receive and send email ?

IMAP is for receiving, SMTP is for sending.

You will need to get the host (server) names from your provider, but generally IMAP works best with port 993 and Use SSL/TLS on special port (legacy). SMTP should be port 587 = Force usage of SSL/TLS

If that still doesn’t work, as a test, can you completely disable any anti-virus. firewall, proxy or VPN, then try again.

Hi Gary,

Thanks for your response but I finally found the solution at:
Configure a Verizon.net account using IMAP - AOL Help

and it worked perfectly!

Bill

Yes, I see they recommend port 465 even though it should not be used for SMTP. It was never assigned as an official SMTP channel by the IETF, but the IANA did briefly register it for SMTP until the end of 1998, when it was reassigned to another service. Some providers still use it because older Microsoft applications do not support STARTTLS which is used by the default port 587.

But if it works for you . . . .