Really, really slow

As I continue to evaluate eM Client as a possible replacement for my current email client, (Windows Live Mail), I have to say that I am impressed with the feature set. Unfortunately, the program has some serious speed issues.

Reading through previous posts in this forum, I can see that the speed issues that I have been experiencing have been around for many years. As far as I can tell, no solution has been discovered.

My speed issues are two-fold. When starting the program, the splash screen displays for several minutes before the program loads. Before you ask, I always close this program by clicking on “exit” in the main menu.

Once the program actually opens, many, if not most of my email accounts display the spinning circle which I assume means that they are syncing with the email servers. Depending on how many messages have to be synced, this process can also take several minutes… per account.

I want to love this program but unless I can figure out how to reduce or eliminate the long delays, I will have to move on. All I really want is for the performance to be somewhere close to the 15 year old email client that I currently us.

Please help.

Thanks, Bob

1 Like

When starting the program, the splash screen displays for several minutes before the program loads

Normally the loading splash screen only stays there for a few seconds on my own computers. I cannot replicate that problem.

Once the program actually opens, many, if not most of my email accounts display the spinning circle which I assume means that they are syncing with the email servers.

If you have just setup your account your email can take time to initially sync, but normally your mouse pointer wouldn’t be spinning all the time.

These above issues sound like possible local computer eg: hardware speed issues.

What spec computer do you have ?

Thanks for getting back to me. I have been using eM for several days now. I did experience a very long setup period as it uploaded data from my accounts. After that was complete, these problems started up. The problems that I described are ongoing.

I doubt that it is a hardware issue. I have a relatively recent I5 CPU, 16gb of RAM and the hard drives are both SSD. This I use this computer regularly to work with Photoshop and other graphics programs.

I doubt that it is a hardware issue. I have a relatively recent I5 CPU, 16gb of RAM and the hard drives are both SSD.

Ok so as you have a good spec computer, then I suspect either the ,“program or database” is corrupted in some way.

First thing would be to reinstall the program and see if that fixes it. Failing that you would need to remove your accounts and re-add them.

So first backup eM Client via “Menu / Backup” You can see when the backup is completed via “Menu / Show Operations”.

Next uninstall eM Client and “don’t delete the database when asked on uninstall”. Then download and reinstall eM Client from the version history page and see if that fixes it.

Failing that if you have IMAP, Exchange or iCloud accounts, remove the accounts and then re-add them again via “Menu / Accounts” and see if that fixes the problem.

If you have POP accounts create a folder down the bottom left in eM Client “Local folders” called eg: “Old Mail” and drag your POP mail including any folders down under that.

Then once your POP mail is safely under Old Mail in Local folders, then remove your POP account at the top and re-add your POP account and finally drag backup up your mail from old mail to the new pop mail account same folders at the top.

If you have more than one POP mail account, then create another folder called eg: Old Mail 1, Old mail 2 etc and do the same for each POP account.

If you don’t see Local folders at the bottom left in eM Client then click “Menu / Settings / General” and click “Local Folders”.

1 Like

Thank you for your help. I will try what you have suggested. In addition, I have downloaded a fresh copy of the program on a different computer. For this test, I will only be syncing one email address. I will let you know if there is any change in the slow performance problem.

Reinstalling the program solved the problem. Thank you for your help.

1 Like

I may have spoken too soon. While the program loaded quickly immediately after being reinstalled with just one email account active, it slowed to a crawl after I added the six accounts that I use regularly. This problem is most noticeable when the splash screen is loading. It took over three minutes then I turned on my computer this morning.

Once the program has been running for a while the long delays that typically occur when syncing with the email servers appear to become shorter. This is probably due to the fact that when the program first opens, it has to scan multiple accounts and download multiple emails from most of them. After this has been accomplished, there are seldom more than two or three emails to download during each sync process.

Any thoughts on what might be the problem causing the slow operation, especially at startup?

Any thoughts on what might be the problem causing the slow operation, especially at startup?

No idea why it’s still so slow to load the splash screen or slow reading emails etc on your spec computer, unless the mail database is still not fully synced all your accounts etc, even if they are IMAP, exchange or iCloud accounts. Should be done or nearly done by now.

To check if email accounts are all synced after opening eM Client, click the refresh button at the top left and then click “Menu / Operation”. You will normally then see a horizontal progress bar if it’s still synching accounts and aprox how long to go.

I think that it is syncing properly. When I select “refresh” it goes through all the accounts. If there are no downloads, the process only takes a few seconds.

jueves 23 junio 2022 :: 2101hrs (UTC +01:00)

Hey @dsafety

A thought is that do you have a number of programs set to run on OS start up?
If you have a program/s set to run at OS start up this can slow down start up
as the OS/programs all try to use OS resources at the same time, this will impact on eMC.
The only program that I have set to run at start up apart from system resources is Malwarebytes which is set to scan on a separate schedule,
I use Win Defender as anti-virus, part of the OS, also on a set scan/update schedule, however, if you have a dedicated anti-virus set to start with the OS start up this can cause delays as can an incorrectly configured VPN.
I only shut down my system, maybe once every 2 weeks or at system update reboot, daily I put it to sleep, manually, with auto cleaning of temp & log files, plus eMC Backup is set to run at 1900hrs daily as by this time I will normally have finished anything important for the day, this all contributes to give me instant start up.
If you have Backup set to make daily Backups and you shut down before a Backup is run, eMC will attempt a Backup almost immediately on start up to compensate - this again slows things down.
I start eMC manually after startup allowing sync (I can do other things while sync is taking place) - I have a combination of IMAP & POP accounts (9 in total with anything between 300/400 emails/day) none are Gmail which in my opinion is responsible for a number of issues, I also do not use Google for anything.
I have NEVER experienced eMC slow performance, I have several Gb’s of database.
I do have a high spec system:
I connect at an average speed of 933.77mbps over the last 25 days.
Lenovo Thinkpad P17
Intel Xeon W-10885M vPro Processor
(2.40GHz, up to 5.30GHz with Turbo Boost, 8 Cores, 16MB Cache)
Win 10 Pro Workstation x64 21H2
64GB(16x4) DDR4 2933MHz ECC SoDIMM
512GB SSD, M.2 2280. PCle-NVMe, OPAL2.0,TLC (X4)

Any specific queries, just ask.

¡Buena suerte!

¡Saludos desde Sevilla la soleada en España!

skybat

[email protected]

Hablo español, luego portugués e inglés, con conocimiento de varios otros idiomas.

2 Likes

I think I have this problem. Everything was fine and great with emClient until a year or so ago - I think maybe just before your post. Around the time Google/emClient combo stopped allowing POP3 downloads. Now, it takes forever to search anything. If emClient crashes or my PC does, the corruption check takes at least half an hour. I do have a lot of mail - but I did before as well - I just added a couple more google accounts so I’m on about ten accounts. The only other software is a spam interceptor but that’s off a 127 IP and it gets the mail snappy fast so doesn’t interact with emClient except by pretending to be a server. Can anyone suggest something to help? I’m on an SSD too.