Putting Local/Archive folders on to D: drive

Hi. Hopefully 2 quick questions. I have made a multitude of ‘Local Folders’ and I have auto archiving set up. However, this seems redundant to me if I DAILY move my emails to my ‘Local Folders’ that I have created under the tree ‘Local Folders’. Would I be correct in assuming that I do not need to archive if I am manually moving my emails from the Inbox to my local folders? Having said that, this takes up space on my C: drive. Is there a way to have these ‘Local Folders’ housed on my D: drive which is much larger and used for storage? Thanks very much.

The purpose of Automatic Archiving is to move messages to the local folders so that you use less server space. If you are happy doing that manually as needed, then there may not be any need to use Automatic Archiving. But Automatic Archiving has some advantages in that it will move messages over a certain age, to a duplicate folder hierarchy, on a schedule. That saves you some time, and removes human error from the equation.

The Archive and Local Folders are stored within the same database, which by default is on your C: drive. You can move the database to another drive if you want, but be careful of saving it on a mechanical hard disk as you may experience performance loss.

To move the database:

1. Close eM Client.
  2. Open Windows Explorer and move the C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Roaming\eM Client\ folder to your D: drive. You may have to enable hidden items in Explorer to get there.
  3. Restart eM Client and cancel any setup windows. Go to Menu > Settings > Storage, and select the new location where you saved the database folder.
  4. Restart eM Client.
2 Likes

Thanks very much for the quick reply Gary!

I’m glad to know that I was thinking along the right path about all the different type of Local Folders and yes, archiving, for some, is a savior!

I, on the other hand, move the messages I want to keep throughout the day and delete the ones I don’t need/want. It’s a filled Inbox that drives me crazy!

One last question, if I may…I have an existing database on a D: drive (internal) on another computer within my local network. I have now purchased another computer for the office and another PRO license for eM Client. When setting up the storage location (removing it from AppData\Roaming…), on the new computer, could I actually point it to the existing database that is on the other computer within my local network, thereby keeping everything in one place?

Gary, special shout out to you because I often read through the forum to try to find my answer first and you are always helping others! Thank you so much for helping us all when
we need it! Sure hope the folks at eM Client appreciate all the help you give to all of us!

Happy Holidays and stay safe.

2 Likes

In theory that will work, but in reality the network speed may cause performance loss with the application.

The only way for you to know how it will work with your setup is to try it.

1 Like

Hi Gary, thanks for replying. I was going to just try it to see what happened but I spooked myself so I went to Tech Support to double check. Adam actually came back and said that due to the SQLite that eM Client uses, it would not work. I’m actually a little disappointed because I thought I had found a way to save this new computer from filling up with all my eM Client data (folders) that I keep. So, I think what my issue is is trying to find a ‘tree’ of what folders are housed where. Just what is housed on the server, what is housed locally and WHERE locally are all my ‘local’ folders stored on my C:\ drive? I know other posts say ‘stored locally on your C:\ drive’ but WHERE on my C:\ drive and more importantly, what in the world are they called? Then when the backup is done, what exactly is backed up? Are my local folders that I created backed up as well or just the folders that run under my email account name, or is everything housed in the ‘database’, which is just full of mumbo jumbo (LOL). I really like this program but I would like to know more about what I call a tree. Not sure if others have this same issue, or even care or need to know, but I think I do need to know it to accomplish what I’m trying to do. I have to keep my emails for years & years (Accounting/Legal stuff) so I need to find exactly where my stuff is and then, at the very least, I can back them up or export them to external devices to access them whenever I need them. Thanks for listening and if anyone has a picture of a ‘tree’ it would be greatly appreciated. (Sorry, got interrupted about a dozen times while typing this so it’s a bit of a ramble).

With all due respect to Adam Kovář, he’s talking nonsense. Unless he is referring to something else, the database can be stored on a network share. It might be incredibly slow, and can only be used by one client at a time, but it certainly is possible.

The eM Client database in it’s entirety is stored by default at C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Roaming\eM Client. It is one complete database and cannot be separated to have parts stored in different locations. You can store this database at a location of your choosing.

The backup will make a safe copy of the directory I just mentioned. That includes all your messages, events, tasks and contacts in all folders, as well as your settings, Rules, signatures and other preferences. As it is a SQL database, the contents are not individually viewable to the average person. They can only be viewed in eM Client, or by using an SQL viewer - hence the mumbo jumbo if you try to view one of the files individually.

Because the database is stored in a format that is not viewable with other email applications, you can also export your messages as eml files. (Menu > File > Export > Export emails to eml files) This format can be opened by most email clients directly without having to import them first. The export will also preserve the tree hierarchy with each message saved as an individual file in that folder.

So if I export my current eM Client forum folder, which looks like this:

I will end up with a folder that looks like this:

2 Likes

OMG Gary, you have answered every question I have! Thank you so, so much. I will get to work on exporting these sacred emails over to my NAS right now. My local network is pretty responsive so I will start with doing that first to see how easy/quick it is to navigate/open/view a NAS stored email whenever I need it. If that works well then I will try changing the database folder from my C:\ drive (appdata\roaming…) to my NAS for all the computers and let it run from there. Thank you so much for all of your help, once again!

1 Like