Problems with google calendar sync

Hi…
Looks like Google cal sync is pretty borken?
I added my google calendar account, accepted it in Google etc, and it all seemed ok.
However - it only shows all day events from my main calendar, no timed events. Refresh never seems to finish.
Ticking the other calendar parts to show at the left - like week number, UK holidays, other shared calendars - show nothing.

I see a lot of other issues reported - though none quite that bad - is it likely to get fixed or should I just give up on the of syncing it to em Client?

Is there any way to debug this?

More info - I managed to successfully sync another calendar… I think the problem with my main Calendar is that it has a lot of repeat events, emClient doesn’t seem to like those at all. Maybe that can get fixed…

Update: This is the error that causes sync to fail - once it starts it just streams this error to the log constantly:

[Google Calendar]Uploading event ‘xxxx’ on 18/03/2015 16:00:00 to calendar ‘xxxx/Calendar’ failed due to the following error: A provided value exceeds the allowed size limit.

1 Like

You can delete the event.

Well, I can’t as it’s still valid. It repeat weekly, started on the date shown…

1 Like

I’m getting the same error and its constantly logging. I can’t delete the event as it is still a valid event with repetition…

If you cannot delete the event in eM Client as @Gary advised, go to your Google Calendar online and delete it there. Then close and reopen eM Client and it will be gone once eM Client reconnects.

Then you will have to “re-add the repeating events” which then should be ok after that.

Ps I had that weird problem once with a few repeating events in a month recently and put it down to some Google online sync mailbox issue that was affecting eM Client, where id never had that issue before even with the latest V8.2.1658 Windows. I haven’t had a problem with these since i re-added these same repeating events back into in eM Client.

I guess that might work. But I have a lot of repeating events, so at the very least it would be a real pain… Other programs don’t seem to have the same problem with google cal sync - so it does seem to me the it’s em Client that should fix it.

A thought. The google calendar backup .ics files are not that big (<<1MB). Can emClient import those? Then the calendar sync would only be for changes, relatively small tasks.

This is not an acceptable solution. Many of the repeating events I have were created by other people and I’ve been invited to them (I’m not the organizer). If I delete them and then create my own events at the same date/time, I will be “out of the loop” on any changes sent to the list of participants.

@egombrich

Many of the repeating events I have were created by other people and I’ve been invited to them (I’m not the organizer). If I delete them and then create my own events at the same date/time, I will be “out of the loop” on any changes sent to the list of participants.

As alot of the repeating events were created by other peeps as you say, then (if these same events look ok when you view your calendar online), I would then suggest to try either repairing the calendar which sometimes fixes calendar sync problems, or remove the account and re-add it back again.

Some Calendars have this repair function available in eM Client. “Right click” on the word “Calendar” (under your Calendar Account) and then “Click Properties” at the bottom. Next click the “Repair” tab at the top and finally click “Repair”. This will take a little time as eM Client has to rebuild the local calendar & cache etc

If the repair calendar function still does not fix it, or you don’t have a repair option available in your account calendar, then suggest to remove your account from eM Client and re-add your account as brand new which should then fix it.

Note: Before repairing or removing your account, backup eM Client via “Menu / Backup”.

I’ve tried re-adding it to emClient several times. Same every time.
The Google Calendar isn’t borked, clearly emClient has a problem with importing repeating events. Be nice if it got fixed. The error message suggests it may simple be unable to cope with the range involved.

@gpauk

clearly emClient has a problem with importing repeating events. The error message suggests it may simple be unable to cope with the range involved.

Can you paste the error message you are getting after you re-added it to Google account.

Is it still the same error ? - [Google Calendar]Uploading event ‘xxxx’ on 18/03/2015 16:00:00 to calendar ‘xxxx/Calendar’ failed due to the following error: A provided value exceeds the allowed size limit.

Also have to tried removing your Google account from eM Client and re-adding it again from scratch.

Yes, still the same error, and yes, I have deleted and re-added several times…

@gpauk

Yes, still the same error, and yes, I have deleted and re-added several times…

Ok as you have already removed and re-added your Google account already a few times & same problem, sounds like you will need eM Client Pro support to help you further.

If you are an eM Client current Pro paid customer, lodge a support ticket via the Pro support page. https://www.emclient.com/support .

If you are not an eM Client Pro paid customer, then hopefully someone on this free forum can help you further.

It could be an eg: Google restriction causing that “value exceeds the allowed size limit” when eM Client is calendar synching and there also may be different allowed limits in a day even between a free or paid Google workspace account for home or business peeps.

It’s not a google issue - I can sync via other programs. And, I could as I said try importing the ics google export but not sure if emCleint supports that.

I don’t pay for pro support - and shouldn’t need to, this seems to me to be clearly a bug in em Client - I assume the developer reads this - there do seem to be a number of issues with google calendar sync except for really simple ones.

An interesting addition - a number of repeating events have had their notifications turned off. So looks like emClient has had a deleterious affect on the calendar, it’s altered it unexpectedly.

@gpauk

I could as I said try importing the ics google export but not sure if eM Client supports that.

You can import Calendar ICS files via “Menu / File / Import” and specify the calendar to go to when you import it, or you can drag and drop the ICS file via your file manager onto your target calendar.

The only thing is that if you are eg: exporting your current Google calendar online to an ICS file and then importing the ICS file into your same Google calendar in eM Client, you will more than likely get duplicate events, unless you eg: deleted all the events before reimporting the ICS calendar.

Surely sync checks for differences? So it would set a start point by importing it, then just move on from there. Otherwise it’s not really a sync operation…