Problem with Hotmail read status not replicating to eMClient and vice versa

Have just installed eMClient and when I connected to my hotmail account it downloaded all the messages as unread even though 99% of them were read. When I played around setting the emails to read or unread either in eMClient or in hotmail itself even if I did a Send/Receive in eMClient it still did not update in either direction. I want to be able to use eMClient at home and hotmail whenever I’m out and about and see the same information as I can with Outlook, is that not possible with eMClient?

Hello,
do you use POP3 or IMAP protocol to connect to your hotmail account?

Hi Gabriel

I just followed the screens when I initially installed and I don’t remember a choice. I checked and it says the account is using POP3. I looked at the Help and the index doesn’t list either POP3 or IMAP, the search for IMAP produced 4 results which basically recommended using IMAP but doesn’t say how.

I’ll have a play around and see if I can figure it out seeing as we are in different time zones. I’ll let you know if I get anywhere if not can you forward info on how to change to IMAP.

Thanks

Hi Gabriel

Couldn’t see how to change an account to IMAP but did find the setting when setting up a new account to select either POP3 or IMAP.

Having had a look around it appears you can’t two way sync with Hotmail because it doesn’t support IMAP although I did find one webpage that claimed it did with an IMAP server of m.hotmail.com but it doesn’t seem to work.

Having liked Microsoft products for their integration I am getting more and more disillusioned with their attitude and cost. Why are they pretty much the only one who doesn’t support IMAP.

Unless you know a way around the issue I guess I’ll bite the bullet and change my email addresses from Hotmail/microsoft.

Thanks

Hi Gabriel

Couldn’t see how to change an account to IMAP but did find the setting when setting up a new account to select either POP3 or IMAP.

Having had a look around it appears you can’t two way sync with Hotmail because it doesn’t support IMAP although I did find one webpage that claimed it did with an IMAP server of m.hotmail.com but it doesn’t seem to work.

Having liked Microsoft products for their integration I am getting more and more disillusioned with their attitude and cost. Why are they pretty much the only one who doesn’t support IMAP.

Unless you know a way around the issue I guess I’ll bite the bullet and change my email addresses from Hotmail/microsoft.

Thanks

Unfortunately the POP3 protocol doesn’t support concept of read/unread messages. The read/unread flag in POP3 client is usually implemented on client so this flag won’t synchronize with your Hotmail account messages.

And Hotmail doesn’t support IMAP protocol yet.