Problem with adding an outlook account

After adding a second account, this one with outlook.com, I have a folder added that relates to the outlook account but it has a red triangle with an exclamation mark in it appended to the folder. Hovering over the triangle I get a message saying that either the server isn’t available or the settings are wrong. When I look at the account, the only settings that I can change are ok for outlook.com. I get the following log:

03/09/2020 13:39:21 Outlook IMAP Synchronizing folder list
03/09/2020 13:39:21 Outlook AirSync Synchronizing folder list
03/09/2020 13:39:21 Outlook AirSync Synchronizing folder ‘/Calendar’
03/09/2020 13:39:22 Outlook AirSync Synchronizing folder ‘/Contacts’
03/09/2020 13:39:22 Outlook AirSync Synchronizing folder ‘/Tasks’
03/09/2020 13:39:42 Outlook IMAP Synchronizing folder list
03/09/2020 13:40:03 MailClient.Accounts.ConnectionException: Unable to read data from the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host…
03/09/2020 13:40:03 —> System.IO.IOException: Unable to read data from the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host…
03/09/2020 13:40:03 —> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException (10054): An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.

Plus a whole host more incomprehensible stuff. Any Ideas what has gone wrong?

Try right-click on the offending folder: properties/repair and see if that does the trick.

Do you have any errors? (menu/operations/errors)
Also, what OS are you running and what version of em Client?
Did you allow em Client to auto-install the account?

Hi, Thanks for the reply. I can’t find a repair option in properties for that folder.

There are no errors logged

I am running on Windows 10 with version 8.0.2951 of EmClient

I did allow EmClient to auto-instal the account and I had to have an interaction with Microsoft to complete the account.

Regards
Peter

Hi - send a screenshot of the folder in question.

“I did allow EmClient to auto-instal the account and I had to have an interaction with Microsoft to complete the account.” - what interaction was this?

Repair: right-click on offending folder; select “properties” from drop-down. Repair action is on the RHS of the pop-up that follows.

Hi the screen shot shows the outlook folder, underneath is the properties box that comes up for that folder and to the right you can see the message when the outlook folder is opened.
Because my outlook account has 2FA active, there had to be an interaction that allowed Microsoft to recognise that EmClient could access my account.

Thanks
Peter

“Because my outlook account has 2FA active”.
There’s your trouble I suspect.
Try disabling 2FA and see if that helps.
Or maybe Outlook allows you to generate an “App password” that you can use in place of the normal one.
You’ll need to talk to MS about that. Hope this helps…
https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/12409/microsoft-account-app-passwords-and-two-step-verification

Hi, I particularly want 2FA on my Outlook account, so I’m not going to try removing 2FA. I reckon that it would probably work if I did. I can’t use the App password approach because when I use the add account facility in EmClient it automatically recognises an outlook email and instead of presenting me with the opportunity to supply an App password it opens up a window from Microsoft that only allows me to input my outlook account password. I then have to receive a 2FA code to say it’s me, which I then enter and Emclient then says that the account has been added and it creates a folder, which is as you have seen in the screenshot I sent you. I’ve tried re-creating the account but it’s always the same result. It seems like Em Client has teamed up with microsoft to some extent but not done a complete job.

I believe you put in the App password in place of your normal one. See here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12409/microsoft-account-app-passwords-and-two-step-verification

" After you turn on two-step verification or set up the Authenticator app, you may run into issues if you use apps or older devices (like Windows Phone 8 and Xbox 360) that don’t support two-step verification.

If you have two-step verification turned on and an app isn’t prompting you to enter a security code when you sign in, you may be able to sign in with an app password instead. An app password is a long, randomly generated password that you provide only once instead of your regular password when signing in to an app or device that doesn’t support two-step verification."

Yes, that’s right. But Em Client doesn’t allow me to specify the password. It passes me over to microsoft and the only password they will accept is my outlook password. When I tried to put in an App password it rejected it. If EmClient didn’t push me into using an automatic account setup, I could possibly use an App password, but I don’t have that option. I’m sorry if I’m not explaining myself too well.

You’re fine. Try creating your Outlook account manually.

Select “Other” from the list of accounts and fill in the necessary server details from here:

That will give you the opportunity to put in the App Password I think.

Yes, using the “Other” under the mail option allowed me to specify the parameters and to use an App password… However, I still got the same problem. But After changing from IMAP to POP it works fine. SMTP always seemed to work OK. As I was searching for info from Microsoft I did read that they were having problems with IMAP, so it may have been their problem all along.
Many thanks for your patient assistance

Great - I’m pleased we got there in the end. :mask: :+1:

I’m afraid that my outlook account stopped working after the latest update of emclient. When I look at recent activity in outlook itself, it says that the connection worked fine, but emclient says the connection failed. I can’t understand this. I have tried using an app password, and I have tried re-creating my outlook account in various ways but no success. I have two accounts in emclient, one with virgin media and that works fine, but my outlook account now has problems. It may be due to 2FA but that’s vital for me so I can’t switch that off. Any ideas?