Preview of attachements: supported formats and preview size

One
of two point baring me from use of eM Client as my favorite email client is the limited attachment preview. As posted previously, e.g. https://forum.emclient.com/emclient/topics/previews_for_attachmentshttps://forum.emclient.com/emclient/topics/file-attachment-previewhttps://forum.emclient.com/emclient/topics/previews-of-attachments-biggerhttps://forum.emclient.com/emclient/topics/is_there_a_way_to_preview_attachments_inside_an_email_like_outlook eM Client lags of the following features:

• Preview for additional file types especially pdf files are very important to me.
  • Larger previews, maybe customizable size (e.g. max width) so I can get an imagine of the content of non foto attachments.
  • Possibility to show attachment previews below the end of the email.
    Are there meanwhile any plans to strengthen the preview support?

Hello Thomas,

We are constantly adding requested features and improvements to our program and the PDF attachment previews were already added to our feature request list. I can’t say when it will be adopted because we usually set importance according to the number of users requesting it but I will add your vote to this feature.

Thank you.
Russel

A PDF preview would be great. I voted for this, and look forward to seeing it implemented.

Hi Thomas,
Is there a reason you need to preview pdf files, rather than just opening them directly ? eg: Are you wanting to preview pdf files first incase of a possible virus etc, or are the pdf files really large and taking ages to open on your computer ?.

Hi cyberzork,

our router is redirecting incoming faxes as e-mails to our mail account. Doing so, we do not produce a lot of scap by advertizing faxes. The router send the faxes as pdf attachments to the mails. But now we always have to open the pdf attachment just to see the advertizing.
Pdf attachments we are getting in our emails are 95% just images as explained above, and 5% (or 4.9% :slight_smile: ) text pdf from well known sources. There is no need for javascricipt or any other advanced features inside the pdf. We like just to see a screenshot of the first page of a pdf containing an image or just standard text.

Hi cyberzork,
our router is redirecting incoming faxes as e-mails to our mail account. Doing so, we do not produce a lot of scap by advertizing faxes. The router send the faxes as pdf attachments to the mails. But now we always have to open each one of the pdf attachment just to see the advertizing.
Pdf attachments we are getting in our emails are 95% just images as explained above, and 5% (or 4.9% :slight_smile: ) text pdf from well known sources. There is no need for javascricipt or any other advanced features inside the pdf. We like just to see a screenshot of the first page of a pdf containing an image or just standard text.

Ok i see. Yes in that case, I agree being able to preview pdf files would be great for that reason.

I am deciding on whether to continue my with my subscription as paid up user and will go for the full refund and if I cannot preview attachments then this will be a short lived subscription. Please advise how i view attachments, if outlook does it and mailbird I suspect this should be relatively simple for you

You can preview supported file types simply by hovering the mouse over the attachment.

You can view attachments by double-click on the attachment, or by choosing Open when hovering over the attachment.

If you mean by preview that when  i hover over a pdf attachment and it shows a tiny square with the letters pdf then not good enough. Do you support pdf and why can i preview in Mailbird and not in yours?

Preview means a way to see what the files looks like before opening it. Currently supported file types include a wide variety of graphics files as well as eml files. I think there are a few others as well, but PDF is not one of them. I am sure that is why Thomas proposed it.

If you read Russel’s reply above, he says that PDF preview is on the request list.

This is a KEY feature for company as well. The way apple mail handles this is perfect- hit space bar and you get a functional quick view. Just getting a small image showing file type is nearly useless. Our company (15 users) just switched to your software and were considering go to Pro, but without this feature we will be switching to a different mail platform SOON. Any thoughts on when this might be incorporated? Thanks-

Hello August,

We are currently evaluating features for the next major version (version 8) but I can’t say yet for sure which features will get on the list.

However, I would like to point out that the eM Client FREE version is only for non-commercial use. For the purpose of testing the PRO features, we provide each user with a 30-day free trial and after this point, if you wish using eM Client for commercial purpose, you need to purchase PRO Licence/s.

Russel

Hi Russel
I am a new user of eM (ver 8.1.1087 (d63975c)) and having now imported all of my historical Eudora 7 data I find it a great advancement on the Eudora dinosaur which was past its use by date.
I also use Outlook at work so my question regarding PDF preview is that it is a very useful and desirable feature and the old topic of 3 years ago seems to have no advancement since April 2018.
Yes, I realise it is a simple click or two to open the file in Acrobat but by being able to preview I can them make a judgement call on whether or not to simply delete the email if it’s spam/junk.
Regards
John

The people at Em Client need to understand that the Pro version is used my business clients that have moved away from outlook. As a legal business we have thousands of email every week that generally include multiple attachments. Images PDF Etc. It is an extremely important and time saving for us to be able to preview / scan through these attachments without having to waste hours opening every one!
Can you please expedite the inclusion of preview in the next update.
Cheers

+1
I agree with Stuckin1982. This is a must have feature. Since you already have a small hover view how hard can it be to display a bigger “preview” when you click on it.

Thanks