POP mail on Google Workspace account

I just changed my mail server (POP3) to a Google Workspace account from the server of the ISP that holds my web domain DNS. They were handling my mail, but not well.

The problem is that I’ve tried everything I can think of to configure the new Google Workspace POP account in eM Client, but it just won’t pull mail and the “self-repair” in diagnostics fails.

Can anyone offer advice?

Thank you!

I’ll follow up to my own mail here. The techs at Google Workspace were able to find where the gremlin was (on their side) and fix it, so that I was able to reset eM Client successfully to use the account. I would not have found it on my own.

I can advise that the most important factor is configuring Google Workspace to “allow the use of less secure applications”.

Good luck if you’re going through this, there is light at the end of the tunnel.

dgi

You can no longer use POP3 with most Google accounts.

Best is to add the account by going to Menu > Accounts and click on the Add Account button.
Enter the email address in the Automatic Setup.

Google no longer support less secure apps. It is just a matter of time till they disable it on your Workspace account.

Once they do, setup the account as I described above, move the messages from the POP3 folders to the new IMAP folders and then remove the POP3 account.

Just to follow up, the POP account is working properly in all respects now, though it took hours to set up, with the help of an adviser who was far more knowledgeable than myself.

If they insist on converting POP accounts to IMAP I’ll accede — I mean, IMAP works well enough these days. My attachment to it comes from a time when setting up IMAP accounts introduced randomness depending upon the client used. I’d prefer to remain in a POP environment though.

In other ways, I can tell you that after working with a tiny indy ISP for decades, Google Workspace really does feel like an encounter with The Borg, for those who know. It’s very unnerving.

Thank you for your time and advice!

1 Like