Please don't open automatically e-mails in the Spam/Junk folder

When I select the Junk/Spam e-mail folder in the left sidebar it would be a great feature that eMclient would not open automatically any spam e-mail message, as most load dangerous external content on open - to track active inboxes - and these e-mails always trigger my anti-virus program (best one in the market).

Please add this feature in next emClient version, when opening a Spam folder, DO NOT automatically open e-mails, unless the user deliberately clicks on the e-mail to open it willingly.

Thank you very much.

Best regards,
Carlos Silva

You can disable content being loaded from external sources in Menu > Settings > Mail > Privacy.

Then when you click on a message, depending on your settings, if the sender is whitelisted external content will be loaded. Otherwise it won’t.

1 Like

sábado 29 abril 2023 :: 1332hrs (UTC +0100)

I am always interested in software recommendation.
Do not be shy, please share your opinion.

skybat

¡Los mejores deseos desde Puerto de Mahón y mantente a salvo!

[email protected]

Hablo español, luego portugués, inglés, francés y alemán
con conocimiento de varios otros idiomas.

That doesn’t make sense. I want to load external content normally from every folder as I trust e-mails in every folder, just NOT the Spam folder which gmail filters for me.

So the usable criteria to load external content has little or nothing to do with the sender, and ALL to do with the folder, as there are massive resources and investment in Google and Microsoft servers place to differentiate regular e-mail from criminals e-mails that go straight to the Spam folder.

@cvs

I want to load external content normally from every folder as I trust e-mails in every folder.

If you don’t want to be bothered setting up a whitelist with your allowed senders / contacts, then just set eM Client to “Display unsafe content in all messages”.

So the usable criteria to load external content has little or nothing to do with the sender, and ALL to do with the folder, as there are massive resources and investment in Google and Microsoft servers.

The usable criteria to load external content, is to do with “only loading messages from senders you trust / allow” in a whitelist that you setup via the “Manage Whitelist” button as per @Gary screenshot. It’s nothing to do with folders.

To be rigorous, and I’m stretching a lot my free consulting in exchange for using emClient already, whitelist only applies to 2nd, 3rd and following e-mails from each individual sender, as you need to receive the first to allow external content for present and future e-mails.
Since criminal e-mails triggering anti-virus and endangering customers PCs are one-shot fire and forget skilled attempts, regular folk are dependant on the massive resources of Googles and Microsofts to filter those e-mails into Spam folder.
All emClient Product Manager adding this issue to the backlog needs to do is to not open automatically the stuff in the Spam folder triggering the anti-virus all the time (DNS resolution and the like). Just leave the window blank when a user clicks on the spam folder looking for any legitimate e-mails that might have ended there.
And please flush the Spam folder regularly, like every 2/4 weeks or so, to avoid any need of the user to go into that pile of skilled one shot attacks on his personal computer.
Thanks!!!

2 Likes

@Gary To be completely honest, you are probably missing the fundamental point of @cvs’s questions. Your solution is not good or the lack thereof I should say. There are two issues:

• There is no way to prevent the latest email to be opened automatically upon going into the SPAM folder
  • There is no way to disable external content loading ONLY for the SPAM folder

For the first one, I believe there could be an option in Settings > Mail > Read to disable emails being opened in the SPAM folder automatically. For the second one a checkbox to say something in the lines of Prevent any external content in SPAM folder with it being enabled by default could take care of it.

These are, of course, just recommendations, but with the type of mailboxes some may be using with an external email client, there is a good chance such users are often on the receiving side of SPAM emails and not having whatever loaded up automatically would be a good thing. Also, this should be available for all users, not just for paying customers, but I mean, if someone puts a price tag on any privacy-related feature, nothing is for sure anymore.

Hopefully this gets through one day. Fingers crossed.

As long as you don’t have the sender in your whitelist in Menu > Settings > Mail > Privacy, or they are not one of your contacts, then those privacy settings will prevent any external content being loaded.

That applies to ALL folders, including Junk E-mail. And ALL license types.

2 Likes

domingo 02 julio 2023 :: 1210hrs (UTC +0100)

Pregunté anteriormente, por favor hágame saber su programa antivirus (el mejor del mercado)

Perguntei anteriormente, por favor, me informe seu programa antivĂ­rus (o melhor do mercado)

skybat

¡Suerte!

¡Los mejores desde Spielberg, Austria y mantente a salvo!

[email protected]

Hablo español, luego portugués, inglés, francés y alemán
con conocimiento de varios otros idiomas.

Well, that sounds like a solution, on paper.
In my Windows 11 PC with a leading AV, the AV starts issuing many alerts after I click the Spam folder. Probably evildoers are one step ahead playing cat and mouse with software manufacturers to elicit signals of e-mails being opened, like unique DNS subdomains tied to each e-mail address, and so on). I believe the solution I propose makes sense and eliminates any chances of spammers confirming valid e-mail addresses and profiting of these lists or bombarding spam to me. Thanks