Persistent error message - [IMAP] Cannot open folder "/Labels". (NO mailbox Labels does not exist)

I have been using eM Client with Proton Mail for almost a year. For quite a while, I’ve been receiving the error message: [IMAP] Cannot open folder "/Labels". (NO mailbox Labels does not exist)

• Receiving, sending, and searching emails and putting emails in folders works perfectly fine. The ONLY thing that’s wrong is that this error message keeps coming up. I use multiple email addresses; the message is displayed for each email address.
  • I only receive the error message for my Proton Mail accounts. I also have two Gmail accounts in eM Client, and I don’t get the error message for either of them.
  • I have tried removing and re-adding accounts, but I still receive this error message for each Proton Mail account after re-adding.
  • I am using eM Client 9.2.1222, which appears to be the most recent version currently available.
  • I have searched both Google and this forum for “NO mailbox Labels does not exist” and “Cannot open folder Labels”, but I didn’t get any results.

Error log:

18:23:03 <EMAIL REDACTED> IMAP Synchronizing folder '/Sent'
18:23:03 <EMAIL REDACTED> IMAP Synchronizing folder '/Archive'
18:23:03 <EMAIL REDACTED> IMAP Synchronizing folder '/Drafts'
18:23:03 <EMAIL REDACTED> IMAP Synchronizing folder '/Junk E-mail'
18:23:03 <EMAIL REDACTED> IMAP Synchronizing folder '/Labels'
18:23:03 <EMAIL REDACTED> [IMAP] MailClient.Protocols.Imap.FolderOpenException: Cannot open folder "/Labels". (NO mailbox Labels does not exist)
           at MailClient.Protocols.Imap.ConnectionPoolEntry.SelectFolderAsync(Folder folder)
           at MailClient.Protocols.Imap.ConnectionPool.AcquireConnectionAsync(Folder mailFolder, Boolean noSelect)
           at MailClient.Protocols.Imap.ConnectionContext.CreateContextAsync(ImapAccount account, Folder folder, Boolean noSelect)
           at MailClient.Protocols.Imap.ImapMailSynchronizer.SynchronizeMessagesAsync(IItemSynchronizeContext`1 synchronizeContext, Folder folder, Boolean fast, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
           at MailClient.Protocols.Imap.ImapMailSynchronizer.Synchronize(IItemSynchronizeContext`1 synchronizeContext, Folder folder, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
           at MailClient.Protocols.Common.ItemSynchronizer`2.<>c__DisplayClass40_2.<EnqueueSynchronize>b__6(WorkerStatus status, CancellationToken ct)
           at MailClient.Protocols.Imap.ImapActionCommand.<>c__DisplayClass11_0.<.ctor>b__0(WorkerStatus ws, CancellationToken ct)
           at MailClient.Protocols.Imap.ImapActionCommand.ExecuteInternalSync(WorkerStatus status)
           at MailClient.Protocols.Imap.ImapActionCommand.Execute(WorkerStatus status)
           at MailClient.Commands.Command.Process(WorkerStatus status)
        --- End of stack trace from previous location ---
           at MailClient.Protocols.Imap.ImapAccount.SynchronizeIntAsync(Boolean forced)
           at MailClient.Protocols.Common.SynchronizableMailAccount.<>c__DisplayClass7_0.<<SynchronizeAsync>b__0>d.MoveNext()
          IMAP_SERVER_TYPE = ProtonMail
          EnqueuedStackTrace =
               at MailClient.Protocols.Common.ItemSynchronizer`2.<>c__DisplayClass40_1.<EnqueueSynchronize>g__RunSynchronize|2()
               at MailClient.Protocols.Common.ItemSynchronizer`2.<>c__DisplayClass40_0.<EnqueueSynchronize>b__0()
               at MailClient.Protocols.Common.AccountBase.RunIfOnline(Action actionIfOnline, Action actionIfOffline)
               at MailClient.Protocols.Common.ItemSynchronizer`2.Synchronize(Folder folder, SynchronizationPriority priority, Action`1 completed)
               at MailClient.Storage.Application.ItemCollection`2.Synchronize(SynchronizationPriority priority, Action`1 completed, Boolean fromUI)
               at MailClient.Storage.Application.ItemCollection`2.SynchronizeAsync(Boolean forced, Boolean fromUI)
               at MailClient.Storage.Application.Folder.SynchronizeAsync(Boolean forced, Boolean fromUI)
               at MailClient.Protocols.Imap.ImapAccount.SynchronizeIntAsync(Boolean forced)
               at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncTaskMethodBuilder`1.AsyncStateMachineBox`1.ExecutionContextCallback(Object s)
               at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
               at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncTaskMethodBuilder`1.AsyncStateMachineBox`1.MoveNext(Thread threadPoolThread)
               at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncTaskMethodBuilder`1.AsyncStateMachineBox`1.MoveNext()
               at System.Threading.Tasks.AwaitTaskContinuation.RunOrScheduleAction(IAsyncStateMachineBox box, Boolean allowInlining)
               at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.RunContinuations(Object continuationObject)
               at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.FinishContinuations()
               at MailClient.Storage.Synchronization.FolderSynchronizerExtensions.SynchronizeSubfoldersAsync(IFolderSynchronizer synchronizer, Folder folder, SynchronizationPriority priority, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
               at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncTaskMethodBuilder`1.AsyncStateMachineBox`1.ExecutionContextCallback(Object s)
               at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunFromThreadPoolDispatchLoop(Thread threadPoolThread, ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
               at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncTaskMethodBuilder`1.AsyncStateMachineBox`1.MoveNext(Thread threadPoolThread)
               at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncTaskMethodBuilder`1.AsyncStateMachineBox`1.ExecuteFromThreadPool(Thread threadPoolThread)
               at System.Threading.ThreadPoolWorkQueue.Dispatch()
               at System.Threading.PortableThreadPool.WorkerThread.WorkerThreadStart()
               at System.Threading.Thread.StartCallback()
          GUIStatus_Exception_Reported = True

This is a server issue.

The server has already said the folder is there, so eM Client tries to sync it, but then the server says it does not exist. You can use an advanced setting so that the folder is not synced, even if the server says it is there.

Go to Menu > Accounts and click on the Diagnostics tab for this account. In the Advanced Options Parameters box paste in this text:

--imap-list-ignore-path "Labels"

Then click on Save & Close and restart eM Client.

So:

Another option is that you may be able to disable that folder from syncing with IMAP in the Bridge settings.

Thank you so much! I was able to add that to the Parameters, and the error messages no longer show up.

1 Like