Password required

I use emclient free 7.1.30794.0 on several computers. When sending email, I am getting popup error: Password required. Server says “authentication failed (#5.7.1)” errors a lot. Started happening at work, thinking it may be something with the firewall. But I’m also getting them at home now. I’ve verified the credentials are correct. I’ll click OK over and over, or cancel, send all, close and reopen the program etc. and eventually they’ll go through - without changing anything info. This doesn’t happen in other mail clients, webmail, other mobile apps just windows 7/10 desktop emclient. Any idea what’s going on?

Check that the security policy in your account settings is correct. Menu > Tools > Accounts > SMTP. Use SSL/TLS on special port (legacy) (port 465) usually has better results than Use SSL/TLS if available.

Also, please be aware that the Free license may not be used in company settings or on personal computers for business correspondence.

I’ve tried different SSL/TLS settings which hasn’t really helped. I will try them again, although this only started happening in the last 6 months or so.

I only use emclient for personal use.

You didn’t say which email provider you are using. What did they have to say about this?

Was there another number in the error? It could have been something like “server says 5xx authentication failed…” Could you please provide the full error.

I posted this above:

Password required. Server says “authentication failed (#5.7.1)”

I host w/ icdsoft and followed their imap setup (I’ve had this email/domain for 16 years), and my family’s phones and devices all send without issue, usually use K9 android app. emclient worked fine for several years as well. I can ask them.

The version of eM Client you are using was released just over 5 months back. I wonder if you downgrade to a previous version of eM Client you would still get the error.

If you want to try that, backup and then uninstall eM Client. Your database will be fine so long as you don’t use something like Revo Uninstaller, but the backup will be extra insurance. Download the previous version at http://www.emclient.com/release-history