Password required dialog, Server says ""

A while ago I started getting a dialog box every time my email was sync’d.

Screenshot 2023-03-23 112053

Note that this was for just one email account out of three, this and two others being “Exchange Web Services” from GoDaddy. If it matters, the one that started this is my ‘primary’ (first created) account.

I put in my password, which had not changed, but it came back up. If I hit OK, it pops right back, if I hit cancel, it goes away until the next sync but I get all my emails and all are sent. I hoped it would be fixed in the next update of eMClient, but it wasn’t, so I continued to just hit Cancel until I had time.

Now it has started with another one of the three, the first one acts the same, the second gives me the same message, but no matter what I do it will not receive or send emails. When I use the same password on the webmail version, it works fine, and Outlook on my phone is unchanged with the same passwords for both accounts and works fine as well.

Now as I have been writing this, I have stopped getting the dialog box on the second email, but I still cannot send and it will not receive email, while webmail and Outlook on my phone work fine. The first account still pops up that dialog box and works once I hit Cancel.

I realized that under “Accounts” I noticed the diagnostics was on for the first account but not the second, so I turned it on for the second account. I just turned off “diagnostics” for the second account and now the dialog box is back, but it still does not receive emails.

Confused!
Corey

This is because your email account is hosted on a Microsoft server, and they no longer accept username/password logins (basic authentication).

Please go to Menu > Accounts and remove the account.

Then click on Add Account and enter the email address in the Automatic Setup. You will be passed to your web browser to authenticate the account, then back to eM Client where the account will have been setup with Modern Authentication.

Do I then lose all the old emails I have been saving, other than the few weeks that the server keeps?

No. With Exchange the messages are stored on the server, not in eM Client. You can confirm that if you open the webmail interface for your account, where you will see all your data.

Any messages you have moved to Local Folders, or other local data in eM Client, will not be affected by this.

In the unlikely event that the account was setup as POP3, first add the account as I described above, then move all the POP3 messages to the new folders, before removing the old POP3 account.

If I go to my webmail, I am signing in to a godaddy site, sso.godaddy dot com/login?app=o365&realm=pass, if I follow your instructions I am sent to login.live.com a Microsoft site which does not accept my login info from Godaddy.

So I don’t know what is happening. I have 3 email addresses, all through GoDaddy and using Microsoft. Somehow two of the emails are fine, and the third, a different one than I first had a problem with, since March when I recreated all three email accounts, has come up with the following error box:

Screenshot 2023-06-20 220755

and since March if I hit OK it just keeps coming back, but if I hit cancel it loads/sends my emails. Until a few days ago, when it stopped working either way.

I have tried several times to create a new account per your instructions above, and after the Account avatar and Sync options, I hit the Finish button, and the following web page appears:

Screenshot 2023-06-20 222049

If I hit Continue or Cancel, it drops me back to emClient, with the “New Account” window still active waiting for the Finish button to be hit!

What am I doing wrong?
Corey

What version of Windows are you using?

I have kept updated with Windows 10 22H2.

Check if you have enabled TLS 1.3 in Windows 10. It is not compatible with Windows 10, so you will need to disable it again.

Nope, TLS 1.2 only in the windows registry.

Any more ideas? I’m having to run Windows Mail along side emClient to see all my email!