Operations Error, Connecting to XXX failed

I am using EM client 7.1.30794.0 and I am getting numerous (5-15 /day) failed connection attempts on two different IMAP accounts on the same E-mail servers. The EM client pop-up message is a “operation error” with a big red X and a message that says:

“Anita @ USA: Connecting to  Anita @ USA failed

[IMAP] An attempt to connect to Anita @ USA failed. This could be caused by temporary server unavailability or incorrect settings. Do you want to check the settings?

where “Anita @ USA” is one of two account names I am checking.

I have worked with tech support at my e-mail supplier (they are not an “exchange” service) and they have given me all port #s they support, (I have tried them all), they also looked at my logs only to advise me they have only successful log-in attempts. I asked if their servers are so busy that EM clients attempts have timed out or been rejected, not sure they would admit it but they assure me that my paid account will not get timeouts or rejections if the settings & credentials are correct.

I have two tablets and two cellphones that never complain when using the same settings & credentials so I am now thinking EM client is the culprit. I have EM client set to sync every 8 minutes because my wife works from home and timely e-mails are critical, she started using her Amazon tablet for e-mail because she doesn’t trust EM client on her desktop and because I am her tech support person (by default) I hear about it all the time.

I have turned on logging but can only find evidence of one error (pipe error) in a file called cef.log, I have no idea what this is?

Can anyone help with this issue?

I have had the same issue for months now. The Operations error popup will display systematically at opening time. No other abnormal behavior associated, i.e. I get all my mails (at least I hope so) — except for one issue which seems definitely to be related:

a couple of specific daily press newsletters (Le Monde; The Telegraph) will not be delivered to the Inbox but placed in a Spambox(0) subordinate to the Trash folder, subordinate to the account address folder. These newsletters accumulate in Spambox(0). If I remove the Spambox(0) folder, this will be re-created the next day to accomodate the next daily newsletter.

Changing the email address in my journal subscriptions (from @bluewin.ch to gmail.com) simply made the error appear for gmail.

Needless to say there’s nothing wrong with my account settings or with the mail server. If the issue persists I will obviously drop eM client altogether.

Regarding the Spam issue, it is most likely being done by your server if after deleting the folder, it reappears the next day. If it is a Rule in eM Client, it will not recreate the folder, it will simply not process the Rule if the folder is missing. An easy method to ensure it is not eM Client is to disable all Rules and see what happens. There is no other way to automatically move emails in eM Client except by Rules. If it is being done by the server, you can remove the address from the spam filter through the web interface for your accounts. Also check that you do not have any filters running on those email accounts. This also needs to be done through their web interface.

The connection issue, I also see this occasionally, but my email downloads normally all other times. I have disabled show window when an error occurs, so I am not notified. Checking the operations log, I notice it happens once or twice a day, but I have confirmed I am not missing any email. All that will happen is that if eM Client can’t connect, it will download the email the next time it does connect.

Thanks Gary (you’re the fastest in the West). OK, I will disregard the connection error.

The spam issue, I am afraid, is trickier. As to rules, All I have are two blacklisted addresses (I removed them now and see what happens).

Of course I spent time with my mail server and webmail support, as I suspected them first. The webmail has its own spam folder to store filtered out mails. And, yes, I can see the spam(0) folder and its contents on the webmail folder tree as well, yet in a position (below"your folders") where, they positively say, it can only result from synching with a client.

Now, I have Samsung mail on my phone.and, until recently, I had  WIndows 10 Mail  running on another computer yet with no rules applied. Could the Spam(0) folder come from them?

It is quite possible that another device is creating the spam folder and moving the newsletters there. If you are no longer using Windows Mail, and it is still happening, I suspect it could be the phone.

Yes, you were right. It was the phone. The spammed email addresses were recorded in my Samsung Galaxy S7 email. Thanks for your help.