Opened Email Requires Double-Click to Focus (to scroll with mouse).

Can you make sure you are using the latest version of eM Client, and that your OS is fully updated. Also check that you have the correct and updated drivers for your mouse.

When I click “check for updates” in eMClient, it says there are no updates. I’m on version 7.2.36908. Yes, my OS is updated, and yes my drivers are correct.  eMClient is the ONLY program I have this problem with.

As I said above, the Release History lists all releases, and there has been a new one since 7.2.36908

Okay, I just installed the latest release, and the problem is exactly the same. I still have to click in the message before I can scroll, same as Ian stated.

If you ask eM Client Support, they will tell you they test each release on a fully updated OS. In this case it is probably Windows 10 1909 build 18363.  That is what I am using, but I also never had this issue on previous versions of Windows, or eM Client. My drivers have always been completely updated using the Windows Device Manager. (Right-click on each device and choose Update driver).

Don’t know what to say guys except that if you have a Pro License, please open a support ticket directly with eM Client. If they can’t resolve it by email, they can use TeamViewer to remotely check your computer.

Well, this is months later, and I just installed the latest update, but the problem still exists. It is really getting tiresome to have to click in the body of the email in order to be able to scroll.  When I look back through this thread, three years ago emClient said this was a bug. Do they ever plan to fix this “bug”?

A very strange situation Jean. I have never personally seen that issue with eM Client.

What Windows version are you using? To find that press the Windows key + R and then type in winver.

Look for the build number.

I am on Version 7 Professional, Version 6.1, Build 7601, Service pack 1.  As you’ll notice from previous posts in this thread, others have been having the same problem. My mouse driver has the latest update, and it doesn’t matter which mouse I use. I have the Dell wired mouse and a Logitech cordless. It happens with both of them, and ONLY with emClient. 

I wonder if its an issue with the older Windows 7 / 8 and drivers and you need to now have Win 10 and newer drivers to match ? I personally  haven’t seen this issue with Win 10 V1909. 

Yes, I think this is a Windows 7 issue. Fortunately that OS has now been retired.

But if you scroll to the beginning of this thread, you’ll see that this problem started about three years ago, and according to an emClient employee, it was a bug in emClient, not in Windows 7 or 8.  Here is a copy of the earlier post from 3 years ago:

"Hello Edward,

Thank you for the additional information. We have consulted this issue with our UI programmers and it turns out that this is a bug. The designed behavior is indeed to be able to scroll through the message without having to click on the body. We will try to fix this as soon as possible, hopefully it will be working in the 7.1 version.

With apologies,
Maurice"

I never had a problem (same computer, same Windows 7) until I updated emClient about 3 or 4 versions ago. Prior to that, everything worked fine.

It appears that emClient knew it was a bug, promised to fix it, but didn’t do so. I don’t know of any other popular software program that stopped working in Windows 7.

Yes, but only Windows 7 users have reported it. Or rather, I don’t recall seeing anyone mention this on Windows 10.

You could ask Microsoft to look into it for you, but they are no longer supporting that version. Maybe upgrade to Windows 10?

As an immediate solution, if it was working fine for you in an earlier version of eM Client, you can uninstall what you have, then download and install the previous working version from the Release History. Make a backup using Menu > File > Backup before uninstalling.

Or better yet, try the new version 8 beta and see if there is any difference.

But Gary, that’s my point. emClient KNEW it was a bug, said they would fix it, but didn’t do it. Three years ago a big part of the users were on Windows 7, and many people still are.  (I’m planning to have my PC upgraded to Win 10, even though I really hate it, but can’t get it done while we’re all confined to home.) It’s disappointing that emClient didn’t follow through on their promises.

Can you try version 8 beta and see if the issue is still there?

I was thinking of trying that, but I’m afraid of what will happen.  The last couple of times I upgraded, ALL of my emails re-downloaded so that I had two copies of everything.  Plus, it said they were all unread, so I had to literally go through thousands of emails to straighten it out. It has happened to me three times, so I’m nervous about trying any new versions.

Yes, unfortunately this is a thing with POP3. If you delete the database, or connect to the email server from a different email client or computer, the first time it will download all the messages in the Inbox and mark them as unread. This is because it does not yet have a history of what has been downloaded. And with POP3, every new message that is downloaded is automatically marked as unread.

IMAP works differently in that the email application actually syncs with the server. So if the message is marked as read on the server (maybe you read it on your phone) then when it arrives in the application it is already marked as read.

However, upgrading the software should not affect this unless you start with a new database, or remove and re-add the accounts.

If you want to try it, first make a backup using Menu > File > Backup. Then if it goes wrong, or you just want to go back, uninstall the beta, download the previous version 7 and use Menu > File > Restore.

Well, after a few years of this problem with eM Client insisting it is not their program that is doing this, with the new update, suddenly the problem is solved. I installed version 8.2.1473, and miraculously I can immediately scroll on the emails without double clicking! I know I’m probably wasting my time reporting this good news, because I’ll be told that it must be something ELSE that I changed on my computer. But at least to all of the other users who were having the same issue, try installing this version and see how it goes.