Open Xchange - support and Facebook avatars

Hello!

I have started using eM Client to connect to my Open Xchange mail account using a combination of IMAP for mails and CalDAV/CardDAV for calendar and contacts, and so far it’s working quite well.

However, there seem to be a few limitations with CalDAV and CardDAV compared to using Outlook with the official OXtender-plugin for Open Xchange. The reason I switched from Outlook is that I had some problems with the OXtender-plugin.
So I wanted to ask, if you are planning to bring native support of Open Xchange - servers in a future release of eM Client, so that you can use eM Client in the same way like with a original Microsoft Exchange server.
This would be great because especially for non-commercial use Open Xchange accounts are usually much cheaper than hosted MS Exchange accounts.

My second question is about the feature to automatically load user avatars from Facebook. I can’t get it to work.
In Outlook, I had the Outlook social connector from MS where you could just setup a Facebook account and then after a few seconds it loaded all the user avatars from Facebook for the contacts, for which the mail adresses can be matched to a FB account. They even don’t have to be my FB friends, they just need to have a public avatar!
In eM Client, I can get no contact to load it’s avatar from FB, it just doesn’t work. I have added a FB account, but it doesn’t even work for my FB friends where the mail addresses are matching the ones from FB.

Thank you in advance for any answer! :slight_smile:

Regards,
Martin

Hi, unfortunately we’re currently not considering any extra support for Open Xchange, since they support IMAP and CalDAV/CardDAV.

As to the facebook avatar issue, it seems like there might be an issue with the application, I’ve reported the issue to the developers and I’m currently waiting for a response,
thank you for reporting this.

Regards,
Paul.

Is there an update to this issue? I’m having the same problem and this is one piece of functionality I’d really like to retain if I’m going to switch permanently away from Outlook 2013

I should make it clear that I’m referring to the Facebook avatar issue, which has never worked at all, similar to the original poster.

Hi Nick, what version of eM Client are you currently using?

Thank you,
Paul.

Hi Paul - it’s 6.0.20899.0.

Just to let you know, I have Facebook chat enabled and I’ve checked that at least some of my contacts’ email addresses are the same email addresses used by them to log in to Facebook.

Along a smiliar vein, my own avatar shows on emails in Outlook.  Is this something that should work in eM Client?

Many thanks.

Hi again Nico, I’ve just checked with the developers on this issue, but unfortunately we’ve found that the API, enabling us to synchronize avatars with facebook, has been discontinued and is no longer available for use.
So unfortunately this has just became an unavailable feature.

If you’re interested in why this feature has been discontinued, facebook claims this is due to missing wider usage for the feature.

Hope this helps,
Paul.