Open attachments in edit mode

When I open an attachment from an email it goes to viewing mode. How can I made it open in edit mode automatically?

When I open an attachment from an email it goes to viewing mode. How can I made it open in edit mode automatically?

Generally your program to view attachments in your OS will normally just view attachments by default.

To edit an attachment, you would normally first “open the program you want to edit the attachment in”, and then either “drag or save the attachment” from eM Client to the desktop or downloads, and then drag that to your program you want to edit it in.

Note:- Some attachment viewers also have “Edit Buttons” built in to then open the Editor part of the program. So if your default attachment viewer doesn’t have an edit option, then maybe look for another attachment viewer program that does which would be easier than dragging and dropping attachments.

1 Like

This is absurd. I can open and edit the same file directly from MS Outlook. The issue must be with eM Client settings that it is not allowing the MS Office files in edit mode.

This is a setting in MS Office. It restricts the file to read-only depending on the location it is opened from.

When you open an attachment from eM Client it is opened from your OS temp folder, which is automatically flagged by MS Office as read-only. And that makes sense because the folder is deleted when you close eM Client, so any changes you make to the file will be lost.

You can open the file, then save it in your Documents, and it will be writable, or you can save the attachment first to your Documents and then open it from there. Or maybe you can ask Microsoft if you can change the preferences in MS Office so that it will open files from temp folders as writable. It may be possible.

1 Like

Instead of me asking Microsoft to make the changes, it should be eM Client who should be talking to Microsoft and bringing these features to their software so that their users do not have to face such issues.

It is an intentional restriction or setting in MS Office and MS will be able to tell you where or if that can be changed. eM Client can’t change that, sorry.