Old Eudora files

Hi everyone. I have some decade-old Eudora mail files.

the thing is, I have a ton of folders… *.fol files, and in there are .MBX mail box files and >TOC - Table of Contents files…

How am I supposed to import those into eM?

miércoles 17 agosto 2022 :: 0941hrs (UTC +01:00)

Hey @ghbrooks

What you can do is to first import them into The Bat! and then import from The Bat! direct to eMC.
We did this with with many thousands of email, it is a bit time consuming but it does work and keeps your folder structure.
There is also a Swiss company that has a utility that will do it for you but I am not allowed to name it here, so…

¡Buena suerte!

¡Saludos desde Valencia la soleada en España!

skybat

[email protected]

Hablo español, luego portugués e inglés, con conocimiento de varios otros idiomas.

1 Like

I just have the Euroda data in Folders, I would need to reinstall Eudora first, yes?

I LOVE that unnamed Swiss company. I’m pretty sure that we imported all our Eudora folders and mail directly into emClient (Eudora was Festivale’s standard for years and I miss it, especially the rules).

The Swiss company has a utility that I used every year to create individual txt files for each message, complete with all the header information. I miss that too. I have my emails going back to the early 1980s, plus the attachment directories. All backed up and searchable. If you DM /PM me I will name it.

The Swiss company also has the best scripting /automation and edits all sorts of machine readable code. I use it about every 10 to 15 minutes. Off topic, but I’m a compulsive recommender after (mumble) years of evaluations.

What is this unnamed Swiss Co?
Email me

I just have my Euroda folders outside of a client. Can I reinstall Eudora and bring those files in? I tried, but it didnt pick them up in the client. What did I miss?

sábado 27 agosto 2022 :: 1216hrs (UTC +01:00)

Hey@ghbrooks

OK, yes you can reinstall Eudora, however, what you do after that depends on how you currently have you old Eudora files stored, you say above they are in a Data folder.
If they are all in a folder named Data rename the Data folder in the new installation (Data_1 or what ever suits you) and replace it with the folder you have saved.
From memory there were installation options during the Eudora install so if things do not work with Eudora you will need to edit the Eudora INI file.
The easiest way to find out if you have any success is to try to run Eudora
Then try to import, first using The Bat! and then from The Bat! to eMC
The Swiss company is Fookes.

I am sorry I can not help you any more as I am not certain of what you have.

¡Buena suerte!

skybat

[email protected]

Hablo español, luego portugués e inglés, con conocimiento de varios otros idiomas.

Can you somehow tell me as well, please?

I have all of my Eudora files/folders under a Folder called “Eudora”. I kept the structure under that folder the same.

If I understand you correctly, I should be able to drag and drop all of those files under the new “Eudora” folder. I tried with one, and it wasn’t visible when I opened the client.

Also, I do not have the old Eudora.ini file.

What should I do? What should the .ini file say inside of it?

Many thanks!

martes 30 agosto 2022 :: 1142hrs (UTC +01:00)

Hey@ghbrooks

I do not want to give you incorrect information so before I can help you further I need you to give me some very exact information about the way you installed Eudora as I remember during the install process there is a file location option.
I need to know this before I can tell you where to place files, it IS important.
You have to forget about drag and drop, I did Not mention it, and do NOT overwrite any files.
You say:
I have all of my Eudora files/folders under a Folder called “Eudora”. I kept the structure under that folder the same.
If so where is eudora.ini?

When you installed you should have:
Qualcomm ->Eudora ->What other Folders are here?

¡Buena suerte!

skybat

[email protected]

OK, for background:

Years ago, I took all of my Eudora files under “Eudora”, and saved them to a hard drive. I have not used Eudora for at least 12 years. I then decided to take these old files and put them to use. Thing is, I have to open them in Eudora. So I installed the last Eudora version 7.1 (?)

Now I want to take all of those old folders (.mbx and .toc files) and open them in this newly installed Eudora client.

How do I do that?

My new install is under C:/Windows/Programs Files (x86)/Qualcomm/Eudora

My old files are elsewhere for now

I can’t test or check because my eudora archives are off-site. However, Eudora used a ‘modified’ mbox format, so theoretically you should be able to select from Emclient AFTER BACKUP, meaning make a copy of your full emclient data directory!!! Menu, File, Import, Files, mailboxes (mbox).

Please, please, make sure that if anything goes wrong, you can go back to a fully functioning emclient.

For a business with mission-critical and large volumes I’d probably bite the bullet and buy Aid4Mail from Fookes. Its USD299 for a year and I haven’t tested the current version, but Fookes (that Swiss company) provides solid software. To put it in perspective, USD299 is less than a day of my time, or any good consultant’s, so it is cost-effective.
<Disclosure: I’m a freelance journo and consultant so I get the software, not dollars, for my evaluation and testing>

I have an answer from Fookes software.
CONVERTING EUDORA MAILBOXES TO emCLIENT
I have not tested this. If enough people need this, Fookes will supply me with the software to do the testing. Please, I’m way behind so I need a lot of people needing the help to justify adding it to my list.

After talking with Josh from Fookes Software, we have a workaround offer, and I have their permission to publish these sections of our correspondence.

FROM FOOKES Re: Aid4Mail 5
"If a user purchases our Aid4Mail 5 Converter license and needs to convert Eudora mail data, we do offer them a version 4 license so that they can accomplish the task. "

"The user would purchase the Aid4Mail 5 Converter license and then get in touch with us to receive the version 4 license which supports Eudora. "

"The version 5 Converter license would of course continue to be valid. "

You are welcome to say that “Ali Kayn of Festivale Online got this info from Josh 2022-09-10”.

Disclosure: Ali Kayn is a freelance journalist and consultant who co-operates with software and hardware companies and clients under Non-disclosure Agreements (NDAs). Products are provided for the purpose of published reviews, evaluation and testing, but there is no financial compensation.