Offline eM data files/folders (like outlook open .pst file)

Hi,

First of all I am new to eM Client. One day new.

• I am a veteran outlook user since outlook 97, I deal with 5 to 6 email addresses (google, POP, IMAP) and couple of hundred (after spam filtered) real non junk email a day. I do my own forms and lots of tweaks in outlook. I do use few computers running windows to access these, beside the mobiles and tablets. I am also an IT manager in a company. We don’t use exchange and I don’t think we will ever use it.

— I must say I am very much impressed with eM client in my first 24 hours of usage and this does not happen a lot for me.

— KUDOS to developers and designers!!!

– QUESTION / PROBLEM –

As you can guess from above I have thousands and thousands of emails stored locally or on different online systems.

Due to my work I also keep local copies on two of my machines.

Currently I have few PST files that I bring online (open) in outlook to use and when I am done I close the pst file. this is due to speed and memory problems of outlook. These files are NOT email accounts they are storage containers for old emails.

in case you may suggest to convert all and put them online in eM client.

a) My current total PST files are around 35~40 GB

b) I actually need around 15GB of this to be online at all times.

?? is there any way to use eM client this way?
?? is there a better way to use eM client for old stored email content?

Cheers
Frank

I am/was really impressed with the eMclient.

However no reply for a support request for 4 days is making me think.

I’m a bit confused over the term you used ‘on-line’. Do you mean over the cloud? EM would be able to import from .PST files, but not opening them directly. Open PST files is something only can be done by Outlook itself.

The database used by eM is default at location below:
C:\Users%Current User%\AppData\Roaming\eM Client (Vista/Win7)
C:\Documents and Settings%Current User%\Application Data\eM Client (XP)

You can copy them manually for backups or use program such as Dropbox to sync over the cloud - provide your cloud store has the size to do so.

@TNCS sorry that is not what I am asking or any where close.

I am not talking about storing the files in the cloud.
nor
I am taking about opening .pst with eMclient.

the question is eMclient using its native files. (imported from .pst or other sources)

A file online here means it is opened by the application. File hot. file locked, file in use.

A file offline is when the application saves and closes the file.

example; for word you can have a .doc file open by the application, MS word, or saved and closed.

For outlook you can have a data .pst file open by outlook. then contents are available in outlook, hence online. OR you close the data .pst file and it is closed (offline) contests are not available in outlook.

outlook data files (.pst) are not necessarily connected to an email account!

You can have .pst file (like default one) and have all your emails collected in this one. Alternatively you can set up a separate .pst file per account.

I have .pst files for eample “error-log-2009.pst” “sales-req-2009.pst” “sales-req-2010.pst” I only open these files when I need them all other times I close them,

How can I do the same / similar with eMClient?

My total email content is BIIIG. please read the first email. other users in this forum already complained about speed with much smaller email volumes. I can not see keeping all email in the eM Client folder all the time is a solution.

Cheers
FRANK

Hi,
I am sorry for the massive delay in replying but I have been quite busy the past few days. Now to your question:
eM Client stores all the data in ONE database folder so you cannot do the same as you are used to with Outlook. You could workaround it by creating multiple databases and switching between them, but it is not very user friendly.

To clarify the queries.

I will NOT be using or opening .pst files.
I will convert all my .pst files to eMclient no matter how long this takes.
I will delete all my .pst files. no more .pst file.
I will not use / delete any .eml files too.
I will only use eMclient as my email client with eMclient db files.

-eMclient is using a database. SQLite db
-a database has database files
-a db file can be online/attached/opened or offline/detached/closed.

-outlook is using a propitiatory database
-outlook propitiatory db system uses .pst files
-an outlook datafile, .pst file, can be opened or closed.

in outlook I can close a “outlook database file = .pst file” easily and open easily.
this is done with in the application.

How the hell I can do same / similar in eMclient.

I did not realised that this was such a difficult query to convey

I understand you, but I have already wrote you that it is not possible in eM Client. All your emails are saved in one database file which cannot be “offline/detached/closed”.

@ George

not user friendly may not be a deal breaker for me. as long as the functionality is there.

the question here is can we have two db files open at a time.

Also Harry from eMclient mentioned that there are users with 60GB or 90 GB datafiles …

what is the impact / penalty for large files like this.

example; part I know every well outlook 2007 and before =disaster…
outlook 2010 and 2013 usable not not great.

cheers

No, eM Client cannot access multiple databases at the same time.

Truth is that some of our users have databases larger than 60 GB and everything works well, but on the other hand you have to expect slower reactions when searching, sorting, etc.

Are there any plans to support further databases?

There is a big advantage, in my opinion, of multiple databases (as e.g. in Outlook) or folders (as e.g. in Thunderbird) especially for backup. I had have one folder for each year in my Thunderbird at home and one pst-file to each project in Outlook at my office. So I only needed to sync the actual used Thunderbird-folder or Outlook-pst-file on each backup because the folders of past years and the pst-file of finished projects are do nor changing any longer.

The best way in my opinion would be a solution where it is possible to move old entries (emails, calendar entries, …) into separate user defined databases and I can select if those database should be searchable inside the eM Client (e.g. for last year emails or recent projects) or not (e.g. for very old projects).

Hello,

we do not plan to make any changes to our database at foreseeable future.

regards
Jan

I have the same situation as nippit has.
I’m thinking about switching from MS-Outlook to eM-Client.
To have several different database-files (PST-files in MS-Outlook) is a must for me.
PLEASE spend some effort in supporting several (local) database files!!!
BTW: The “archive” functionality is also not clear for me.

Hello,

I refer to my previous post, we do not plan to change our database at the moment.

Archive function deletes emails in user’s email inbox and moves them to local folder so those messages do not take space in users email box.

regards
Jan

Hi John,

1. And the local email database (= archive databse) file is continuously growing. Correct?

2. If you do not have any plans to change the database at the moment, do you can add a feature to easy export a couple of emails to a user defined place. I have an export in mind as something similar to a separate pst-file which I can reimport/reconnect to search and read if necessary and maybe work with the emails as forward it. Html-, csv- or other single files in a directory will not fulfill this.

Kind regards
Thomas

Hello,

1. Yes, archived emails does not equals email database, archived emails are stored only localy and deleted from server, emails are stored both localy (if POP3 or IMAP with download for offline use).

But in the basic both are stored in same folder. (C:\Users\ current user \AppData\Roaming\eM Client)

1. File - Export… - export emails
    or you can select some of them by ctrl + left mouse click and then right click on one of those selected and choose save as…

with regards
Jan

Hi
If you want professional Outlook users to move to eM Client, the issue of PST files should be solved.

Let me explain the issue:
I am dealing with almost 100 Outlook PST files (let’s say folders).

Let me explain with just 4 examples:

1. I have for instance a PST file in which I manually move all the CVs I receive,
  2. a PST file in which I manually move all the invoices I receive,
  3. another one in which all the emails I receive for specific tenders are automatically moved by a rule
  4. a large archive PST file I create at the end of each year to store all the emails I received during the year

I do not need to permanently access all the emails of these PST files (a physical file stored in my hard disk). PST files 1, 2 and 4, for instance: I open them only when I need them. PST file number 3: it is always open, but I close it when my tender is over.

It is as easy as that: if I cannot manage my “archive”, database, local storage files (call them as you want) as I want, I will not migrate to eM Client, which I have just installed and uninstalled.

For my professional use, I need these offline files which you can open when you need them.

Thanks

You can do that. Just create a separate database, and access each one as needed.

But of course that is not the way eM Client is designed to work. This is the one major difference between MS Outlook and eM Client; there is no need to have separate data files.

There is nothing wrong with having all your data in one place, whether you need to see it all the time or not. If you don’t want to sync it with an online server, then just keep these CVs in Local Folders. They will only be stored on your computer, but be instantly accessible when you need them.

Hello,

I recently switched from Thunderbird to eM Client. During installation, eM Client offered to import everything. Now eM Client uses the same data storage folder (i.e. the database folder). (I have now uninstalled Thunderbird.)

My question: that folder now contains many files that were required by Thunderbird, but are (presumably) not needed now. How do I separate which ones are being used by eM Client and delete the rest?

I have a Gmail (IMAP) account and I do not (want to) use the archiving facility.

Many thanks,
SP

It looks like that only walkaroud for a while is find an endless online email account and move all the archived emails to its imap server. Meanwhile could you implement selective imap server folders download like in AquaMail for Android? So that several folders could be kept online only with its headers downloaded only?
External email archive would be a great advantage nevertheless, look what Oracle Primavera did, they made it possible to store data in wide range of databases with multiple files in every format so that it became a headache syncing all those small files over file exchange servers. But finally they implemented SQLite database format which has only one small file with *.db extension like PPMDBSQLite.db which could be easily uploaded and kept of on fileshare drive. Implementation of simbolic link to one single database file connected as external archive storage would be a great advantage as well.