Object reference error messages

I keep getting barraged with errors (Object reference not set to an instance of an object). Is there any way to disable these errors? Beyond the point of annoying.

Hi,

can I ask you if they are completely random or these errors can be reproduced? Also what eM Client version do you use and is it working alright despite this?

Jan

Hi,

They are not random. I think they mostly appear when the internet connection gets broken; sleep/wake up, temporarily when switching from wired connection (via a dock) to wireless and vice versa. Is there another way to show a broken connection (to gmail) like in a system tray rather than constantly displaying pop up windows?

I am using version 6.0.19106.0

there was released new 6th update today https://discourse.emclient.com/emclient/to… can you please try it?

Jan

Just installed 6.01.19404.0 per your advice
Upon launching I got same error message:
“Uploading item(s) to folder " & my email address & " failed with an error: Object reference not set to an instance of an object”

This is weird this issue should not be presented in new versions.

Can you tell me if this is not happening when you are having stable connection at all and when it happens what exactly you are trying to synchronize.

Jan

It does not happen with a stable connection. I often have to dock/undock my machine with it still running. Other email programs indicate no connectivity within the main window but emClient creates a separate pop up window that forces me to close it. Is there any way to suppress this?

Just to be sure, can you still receive and send emails, or to be more specific do synchronization with server without problem?

If so then just turn off error messages in Tools - Settings - General - General.

eM Client is very sensitive to internet connection and specially with IMAP folders which are synchronized 24/7 it if recognizes even slight connection issue like WiFi sleep for a second or things like that it will throw out error/s.

Anyway tell me if this will help you.

Jan

John,

I think that is the setting I was looking for. Thank you for your help.

you are welcome :slight_smile:

Exact same issue with my gmail account. Error comes up every time I start eM client but my sync seems to work fine. My husband’s gmail account does not seem to have this issue, at least not regularly. Both accounts were created from Thunderbird and copied all files and settings.

This solution cured the popup issue for me. Thanks!

Hi Jan, you write the following:

“eM Client is very sensitive to internet connection and specially with IMAP folders which are synchronized 24/7 it if recognizes even slight connection issue like WiFi sleep for a second or things like that it will throw out error/s.”

I think eM Client should not automatically show error messages when there is no connection with the internet.

Having periods that there is no connection with the internet is just a ‘fact of life’.

Maybe eM Client can show in the status bar whether it has connection with the internet or not? For example by using a green or red ‘light’ or an image of a broken connection.

If we suppress the error message box, then we might also suppress the really important error messages.

Hi, we do not plan to change this behaviour, we prefer to tell users what is happening over behaviour of thunderbird and outlook which makes then unusable and confusing.

Jan

thank you for your information about your issue :slight_smile:

Jan

Jan, you write “if recognizes even slight connection issue like WiFi sleep for a second or things like that it will throw out error/s”

In programming terms you can “throw/catch an exception”…that means something *exceptional* has happened…a lost internet connection is not *exceptional*, but something which can happen all the time.

A ‘lost internet connection’ is not an *error*, it’s just a state of the network with which a programmer has to deal (preferably not by showing errors). Maybe you can show a warning if the connection is not there for at least 10 minutes or so.