Number badge next to multiple folders

In version 9, let’s say that I have a conversation with both sent and received messages, which I have placed in the Archive folder. A few days later a new message comes in as a reply to this conversation. eM Client version 9 displays a badge with the number “1” next to three folders: Inbox, Sent, Archive. I can’t remember this happening in version 8, and I don’t think it makes much sense. The new item is in the Inbox, so the Sent and Archive folders should not display an “unread message” badge.

I hope the above make sense. If not, please let me know.

This is because you are viewing conversations, not messages.

There is the same conversation displayed in all three folders, because it has constituant messages in all three folders, and that conversation has an unread message.

It you don’t want to use conversations, you can disable them using Menu > View > Conversations > Disable Conversations.

Yes, I know. But Outlook and other email clients that have a conversations feature don’t do this and it appears counter-intuitive to me. I guess I’ll go back to Outlook. My alternative software experiment does not seem to go as expected, sadly.

MS Outlook has conversations?

I haven’t looked at recent releases from Microsoft, so maybe so. Cool.

It has had them since 2007.

Good to know.

I can’t comment on how they implement conversations, but the way we do it is a conversation is a group of related messages irrespective of what folder they are in.

So, if you are in the Sent folder, the conversation displayed there may include messages from other folders, including the Inbox and Archive. If a new message arrives in the Inbox, as it is part of the conversation you are viewing in the Sent folder, the conversation is updated to indicate it has an unread message. It doesn’t mean a message in the Sent folder is unread, but a conversation in the Sent folder has an unread message.

If you don’t want to use conversations, you can disable them using Menu > View > Conversations > Disable Conversations.

They implement it the same way in Outlook, but when a new message arrives to my inbox, the unread badge is shown only next to that folder. A new message has just been received, not sent or archived.

eM Client is not showing that a new message has been Sent. It is showing that a conversation displayed in the Sent folder has a new message.

That is because you are viewing conversations, not messages.

If another application does not show when there are new messages in a conversation, I would think that is a bug.

OK, Gary, eM Client is the best, and it does everything correctly.
I will just go back to Microsoft Outlook, and we’ll all be happy.
I’m done trying to find good, alternative software, preferably made in Europe.

Nice talking to you.