Notifications for folders

Hi, why i am getting notifications for new mail items in subfolders. E.g. when gmail move my message in a folder and skip inbox i don’t want to be notified about this message. eM send me notifications about this kind of messages.

Gmail stores messages in a single folder; All Mail. Messages are then displayed in virtual folders like Inbox, Sent and any custom “folders” you have created, using labels.

We sync the All Mail folder, so irrespective of what label the new message has, you will be notified.

An alternative to doing the move server-side, is to create a Rule in eM Client to move the message and use the option to disable notifications for those messages.

Not happy with this solution.
Other mail clients (Outlook, Mailenable, Thunderbird, etc.) are working well in this case.
Basically the rules are on server side (Exchange, Gmail, etc.) and i am using e-mail on multiple platforms (2 pc, mobile, tablet) and it does not make sense to create client based rules, since the rules will be taken only on the pc i create them.
Please, fix this.

Hi, is there any update on the issue?

What @dmatesic is doing is a normal function in Gmail and many other mail providers. If a person sets a rule on the server side to move to a “folder” AND mark a new message as “read” then they are really saying “I want this message to be filed away but I don’t want it to clog up my inbox and I don’t want to be notified when it arrives”.

I assume that @dmatesic is using BOTH the “Move to Folder/Label” and the “Mark it as Read” function in his rules. If he is not then, if the mail is still “Unread” in the sub-folders (labels) then emClient is quite right to notify of the message.

But… If he is also using the “Mark it as read” then that extra part of the rule really means “Mark it as read and don’t notify me of the mail item”. Assuming @dmatesic is actually using the “Mark it as read” function then I think the issue here is that emClient might not be interpreting the rule in the manner really inteded and still notifies of the mail even if it is marked as “read”.

If @dmatesic wants to keep the message as Unread (and not use the “Mark it as read” function) but still move it to a sub-folder/label AND not be notified then that would be a special case and would likely require an extra option in the settings of emClient to allow this e.g. “Only notify new unread emails if they arrive in a specific folder” with a checkbox to select the monitored folders (e.g. “Inbox”). Maybe that is what the other mail programs are doing/assuming??

Thanks @Paul23.

What @dmatesic want’s is that EMClient act as any other mail client!

It’s irrelevant if i want the email message to be marked as read or not when the message is moved in a sub folder.

This is the case:

• I get 100+ mail messages per day from some groups or notifications that are not important to read them in the second they arrive.
  • But i want to have them in a folder (not readed) and to be able to identify and read them for example in the evening or next day.
  • And i don’t want to get windows notifications every 30 seconds about this messages.

So as mentioned this earlier, Outlook, Mailenable and Thunderbird are working this way. And there is no reason that EMClient act’s differently because they didn’t invent a mail client program. EMC has a wrong implementation of this and that’s all.

So I guess what you are saying is that all the other mail programs only notify of a new mail if it arrives in the INBOX top folder but emClient has decided to notify whatever the folder they arrive in. If that is the case then the only option is for emClient to implement a checkbox to allow the users to choose what folders to notify on a new mail or you will have to use a different mail client.

I suspect this will not happen (the change in emClient you desire) anytime soon :frowning: regardless of what the other mail programs do. There is no wrong or right way as default but it would be nice if the user had the choice in the settings. You will have to raise it as a feature request.

1 Like

How this can be done?
Thnx in advice

If you are a pro customer then you can raisse it as a ticket but if not you need to ask one of the site Admins to change the post from “Mail” to “Feature Request”. Be advised though that feature requests are just that and may not be implemented and even if they are it may be sereral releases fo the product before you would see it (assuming it was accepted as such). @Gary is the best person to advise as I belive he works for the company.

@Gary could you please be so kind and give me an idea when and how this issue could be fixed?

Otherwise eM Client is a awesome tool.
I would like to think about future implementation of plugins (Whatsapp, Messenger, etc.) but for now it’s a solid solution.

thnx

Gmail stores messages in a single folder; All Mail. Messages are then displayed in virtual folders like Inbox, Sent and any custom “folders” you have created, using labels.

We sync the All Mail folder, so irrespective of what label the new message has, you will be notified.

So @Gary you are telling me that this could not be changed and implemented in a way as any other mail client works?
If this is the case it’s so disappointing.
I already explained to you that client side rules are not the solution on any mail solution (Exchange, Gmail).

@Gary could you please be so kind and tell me if you will consider to implement this feature in the correct way? I would by a license of the product if this situation is fixed.