Not showing full message when receiving a message from an iPhone user

Hi Robert, Hi David,
I’d again like to point out that the issue is caused by Apple, since they’re using old and unsupported format, even though some mail clients will be able to display the message properly, and to keep eM client the compact application it already is, we have to think wisely of new features, their functionality etc.

It would be possible to implement a work around for this issue and we’re working on it, but as the issue is not caused by our application and we believe it should be removed externally, it receives a lower priority than some other bugs and issues that may have a critical impact on important features of the application.

Hope this is understandable, thank you,
Paul.

Not completely sure what are you referring to as the “HTML shadow”, can you make a screenshot of the issue?
Or does the issue occur while drag and dropping selected text in the application?

Thank you,
Paul.

Hi Paul: Thank you for your reply. Let’s distinguish between the “shadow” issue, which I do not think is related to Apple in any way, and is a minor and transitory problem, and the problem of eM Client not displaying mail coming from Apple computers and phones properly. These are two different problems, of course, and the latter is not minor, it is VERY MAJOR, and will continue to hurt eM Client’s popularity significantly.

You say “some mail clients will be able to display the message properly”. I don’t know about the usage environment where you are, but the majority of people I correspond with in my field happen to use Apple computers. I have used more than a dozen email clients extensively and NONE have this problem. I have never used Outlook, which you and others on the eM Client team keep referring to (as if anyone using your application cares about Outlook).

The issue arises dozens of times a week for anyone who receives mail from people using Apple computers or iPhones. I don’t know if you’ve heard, but Apple is the most highly valuated company in the world, and MANY, many people use their products. They have no reason to change the way they do things to accommodate your email client.

Therefore eM Client is the one with the problem. I, personally, would be most grateful if you would refrain from repeating the argument that this is not eM Client’s problem in the future. If your group cannot fix it we can either decide to live with it or move on. But to suggest that Apple must accommodate your mail client is frankly, with all due respect, ridiculous.

I apologize if this seems harsh, I don’t mean it personally. But I think your team has been willfully avoiding this very MAJOR issue.

Thanks for your kind attention to it in the future.

DGI

Yes, you have the problem right. I cannot describe it much better than that. I’ll try to make a screen shot next time, but I am not sure how successful I will be. This happens on rare occasion.

I will highlight a word or block of text that I wish to delete or move. While the block is highlighted I may scroll down in the message (this problem usually arises by surprise, so I’m not quite aware of what actions precede it).

That block or highlighted text will appear to become a slightly transparent “shadow” that is immovable. It can’t be moved or deleted, but simply floats in place, obscuring what is beneath it. Even closing the mail does not make it vanish - it sits on the screen and cannot be moved or manipulated in any way.

In my experience, it vanishes in a few seconds after eM Client is closed and memory of the application ceases to be resident in the system. But it will float on the desktop until that is refreshed. It seems to occur quite randomly in my experience.

That is the most I can say by way of description, but I will try and observe the event in more detail and report back again, if possible.

Thank you for your attention to it.

DGI

Hi again David, as I previously stated several times, the issue should be addressed by Apple, but we are working on improvements as well. Please let me know what exactly did you meant by the “HTML Shadow”.

Thank you,
Paul.

I will do my best to capture this “shadow” the next time I experience it. I haven’t yet found a way to make it happen at will. Thanks for your attention to it.

DGI

Hi David, I believe you’ll achieve it when selecting a text and then try to drag and drop it somewhere. However if this occurs, this is unfortunately a known issue to us, however is caused by some of the Internet Explorer components we’re using. However future releases should be based on different set of components which should resolve this issue.

Unfortunately there’s no immediate solution.

Thank you for understanding,
Paul.

Thanks for your reply. I am not terribly troubled by this, but appreciate your looking into it. I’ve dealt with much stranger anomalies like it over the years. As long as it does not cause one to lose data, it can be regarded as a benign quirk.

Best, DGI

Yes I understand that it can get annoying, but with the application restart it should disappear or just try to avoid drag and dropping text etc.
I hope the issue will be resolved as soon as possible, with future releases.

Regards,
Paul.

I just found this wondeful mailclient. It’s really good (espacially caldav-carddav-support is great), but the I test some apple-user-mails and found the same behaviour which this threat describes.
Thats a big disadvantage and now I’m not shure if I should switch from thunderbird to emClient pro.
When will you support these buggy apple mails?

Best regards
Andreas

We have been told more or less directly that eM Client’s position is that Apple* is in error, not eM Client, and must learn how to conform to the standard that eM Client adheres to, because eM Client will not change to accommodate Apple mail. I have been advised that if I have a complaint about this I should take it up with Apple.

*Sometimes referred to as the most highly valuated corporation in the world.

Thank you for your constructive criticism, we appreciate it, the issue is indeed based in Apple Mail, and all e-mail clients have to be built on certain standards, if standards are not followed issue between communicating between different email clients may occur.

Needles to say, this issue can be reproduced using other email clients as well, e.g. Microsoft Outlook* or Windows Live Mail.

Best regards,
Paul

*Sometimes referred to as the leading solution of email and calendar applications.

I could accept more easily a simple statement that you can’t do it. Whether Apple is right or wrong to do things the way they do strikes me as irrelevant. What is relevant is that a very large portion of the world uses their mail applications and eM Client cannot properly render them, while many other mail clients seem to have found a way. Outlook and Live Mail are obviously the same song in different keys.

I think eM Client can find a work around for badly formatted e-mails of Apple, but they will have to spend time (= money) to do it. And resources used to fix this issue, can not be used to implement other fixes/features.

Apple is indeed very, very rich and has a lot of software engineers working for them. It should be much more easy for Apple to fix their own implementation than for other companies to work around it.

And if the cause indeed lies within Apple, then I think it’s normal that Apple fixes it. Then it only need to be fixed in 1 place (instead of making workarounds in multiple places), and it will be fixed by the company responsible for it.

On the other hand: I think I seldom receive e-mails from people using Apple computers, because I can not remember that I have had the issue mentioned in this thread. So it’s more easy for me to chose a side :slight_smile:

But I can imagine that people who do receive e-mails sent by Apple users are not happy that those e-mails can not be shown nicely in eM Client …

I want to let you know that I wouldn’t criticize if I didn’t think eM Client was worth the effort, and by extension I want to give credit to you guys for working hard to get so many other things right. If eM Client weren’t so good I wouldn’t waste my time. I have to use multiple clients now just to read my mail properly, and that’s terribly annoying. But I won’t give up on eM Client. So thank you, and I hope that in time this problem will be fixed, one way or another.

Regards, DGI