Not receiving Outlook emails

I found some relevant discussions online about this issue:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook_com/forum/osecurity-oother/imap-xoauth2-login-failure-several-clients/3ad3b3f9-77c2-4239-b168-1af5a3bbb6b9?messageId=4c916654-b310-432e-9011-f00653f5c485

Microsoft support is directly linking to this forum, so I’m sure Emclient has some leverage on this issue when talking to them and getting an idea of when there will be a fix.

3 Likes

Hello,

As my Hotmail account wasn’t synchronizing for a week, i read somewhere that Outlook has migrated to Exchange, so i deleted my Imap account and add a new Exchange account.

Everything seems to be fine, Microsoft ask me to authorize EmClient S.r.o. to access my account. But in the end, the account is never created. I type in Hotmail password, then i go back to the Almost There page, and then I type in Hotmail password, then i go back to the Almost There page, I type in Hotmail password, then i go back to the Almost There page, … well you get it! Something is wrong, i don’t know why.

I have the latest emClient 8 in french, my hotmail account is at @live.ca

Thank you for your help

Sébastien

Ok, so update here. After the tedious reading of other posts (thanks to my rapid reading skills), here’s what i did to solve my problem.

Create a new IMAP account
imap-mail.outlook.com port 143 Force SSL/TLS
smtp-mail.outlook.com port 587 Force SSL/TLS

So far this seems to work, but can’t guarantee this will work in other regions!

Thank

I think I will go with bluemail

1 Like

The fact that there are now 367 posts about this problem and hundreds of hours wasted shows it’s a significant issue. And in only a few days!
Look at all the frustration!
Not all eM Client users are wiz-kid programmers!
Many are old or young and have to enter unknown parameters as a monkey would in the hope they may or may not work to give them their email!
There is no setting in eM Client to use oAuth or not!

1 Like

I have given instructions above how to setup the account WITHOUT oAuth. Did you try that?
If you did and it did not work, where did it fail?

And do your Contacts and Calendar now syc as well?

I (attempted to) follow your instructions, but once I fill in the IMAP and SMTP servers it fails to authenticate. I keep getting the pop-up that my login fails, as if the password was incorrect (which it isn’t)

I meant that with all the discussion about oAuth there is no box to tick for it to be off or on.
Setting up email for the inexperienced is no easy matter.
Making it easier by trying to automate the process is all well and good but if one parameter fails the process then it should be easier to alter it.

To add to my earlier post: I followed these steps exactly. I get the following error every time:

If the password login fails, are you using the correct password? If you setup an app password, you need to use that rather than the account password.

This worked for my @hotmail.com accounts (4 of them) BUT does not work for my one @outlook.com account. I’ve confirmed the password by logging into the account online. Bluemail on my phone and the outlook client (part of office) on my desktop all connect to the outlook.com account. So I’m stuck without being able to read the @outlook.com account from my emClient. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. emClient just went from really great, to almost not functional.

It worked for [email protected] accounts but not for my one [email protected] account

I have tried both; neither my password nor my app-password allowed me to connect. I’ve also tried disabling my AV (Kaspersky) as you suggested above, though unfortunately without succes.

Please see:

I was eager to try your solution. however I tried 3 different browsers on my desktop, including MS Edge and cannot complete Step 7. There is no “Create a new app password” link on the page. I tried opening up “Add a new way to sign in or verify” and the closest link was to download a third party authenticator app to a phone. Any ideas on how I could proceed through step 7?

Gary,
I have the same issue with oAuth / Outlook.Com not RECEIVING email, and I’m using the workaround OK. However, I could send email before I made any changes. I haven’t seen anyone say that SEND mail is working OK with oAuth issue. Just thought I’d pass that along…
John

Gary & Olivia_Rust:

I thank you for the update. Now, the full announcement verbiage shows we are starting to make progress towards a solution. I do suggest you figure out a way to keep the announcement at the top of the forum’s posts instead of letting it slide down the list of topics in activity order.

That is correct. You can send email from any email client *****hotmail.com but it will not appear in your Sent folder.

As I stated in a previous post, M$ is aware of the problem for us Hotmail, MSN, Live account holders. Until the oAuth is repaired on their M$'s end, we will not see folders synced nor receive emails through a desktop email program/client.

Best to use your Smart Phone for now. Just a tip for my fellow seniors. You can learn to dictate your email rather than finger-poke the virtual keyboard.

Yes, the issue is with authenticating IMAP with oAuth.

Send uses SMTP, and calendars and contacts use AirSync. Apparently those are not affected.