Not accepting password for IMAP

Every time I log into eClient, it opens normally but a short time later, a window pops-up saying “Password required for IMAP”. No matter what I enter, the same window pops-up. How do I enter a new password?

Bill

Go to Menu > Accounts and click on the General tab for this account.

In the Authentication section, enter the full email address in the Login name field, and the correct password in the Password field. Then click on the IMAP/POP3 and SMTP tabs for the account and make sure they are both set to Use Identity Credentials. Click on Save & Close.

Hi Gary,

Thanks for your response! I followed your suggestions, saved, but I still get the “Passwod required for IMAP” error window!

Bill

Gary,

Another problem - I can’t receive any emails now!

Bill

I still get the “Passwod required for IMAP

If you are still getting asked for your IMAP password even after doing what @Gary advised, then either you eg: have the wrong IMAP mailbox password or you have something wrong with your EMC account settings or the account might be possibly corrupted in EMC.

I would first try logging into your mailbox online via your webmail and see if your password works ok.

If you can login ok online to webmail, then remove your IMAP mail account from EMC and re-add your account as new & see if that fixes it.

If that still gives you an IMAP password popup box appearing , then update this thread with your EMC IMAP account settings. Blank out your account name part.

Note: Before removing your IMAP account, backup first in EMC via “Menu / Backup”.

Hi Cyberzork,

Thanks for your response! I suspect that my problem is the wrong password! I’v tried several of my old “standby” passwords & they don’t work but I can’t locate anyway to delete my old password & add a new one. You must know that when I first lod-on the eMC with my old password, eMC opens but quickly followed by a “Password required” window. Your suggestion of a corrupted eMC is always possible, but the system worked perfectly up until a day of so ago! As for "removing the IMAP mail account from eMC, how do I do that exactly? I’d appreciate some “cookbook-type” instructions, if possible. I thought about adding a new account & deleting the old one but I’m just not comfortable with doing that for fear of losing everthing! I have backed-up my eMC.

Bill

I suspect that my problem is the wrong password! I’v tried several of my old “standby” passwords & they don’t work but I can’t locate anyway to delete my old password & add a new one

If you cannot remember your mailbox password, then go online to your webmail and see if it has a reset or forgot password option. If not, then contact your mailbox support.

As for "removing the IMAP mail account from eMC, how do I do that exactly?

To remove your IMAP account from eM Client, click “Menu / Accounts”. Then highlight your account on the left and then click the “Delete” button at the top.

You can then add your account back in via the “Add account” button at the top of accounts.

I deleted the old account, added a new account with my email address, but when I entered a new password, I received ar error message saying “The server was found, but authentication failed. Check the email address and password”. What’s going on here?

Bill

Sounds like you have possibly entered the wrong IMAP server details.

What mail server are you on ? and what IMAP Server details did you enter ?

Hi Cyberzork,

Sorry for the delay in responding! I checked back to a previous setting & it had “pop.aol.com” & Port: “995” which I entered but I don’t have an “POP3” listed in my Accounts server listing. I checked a copy of a previous Protocol list & it shows for IMAP “Incoming” as “imap.aol.com” & 'Port: 993" & “Outcoming” as “smtp.verizon.net” & “port: 465”. I tried both these changes & same problem. Suggestions, please!

Bill

Those IMAP AOL Verizon Server settings appear to be the correct according to the the AOL (Verizon) support website.

Could be you maybe have the wrong “Security Policy” configured at the bottom of your IMAP account.

Have the tried Security Policy “User SSL/TLS on special port (legacy)” which works with most Port 993 IMAP accounts ? Or tried any of the other Security Policies to see if any will then verify.

If none of the Security Policies will verify, the next thing i would suggest (as you have already manually removed and re-added your IMAP account) is to contact AOL Support to verify your "Username and "Password as that appears to be the issue now with authentication.

Could be they may have changed to an eg: App Password with 2 step or similiar and you may have to generate that password instead. Need to dblcheck with AOL on that.

https://help.aol.com/articles/verizon-move-to-aol-mail-setting-up-your-new-aol-account-in-a-third-party-email-program-or-mobile-device-imap

Incoming mail server (IMAP): imap.aol.com
Outgoing mail server (SMTP): smtp.verizon.net

IMAP-993-SSL
SMTP-465-SSL

In the interim, I came across another possibilty that could figure into this problem. I noticed that in Settings>General>Password Protection, the Password has 28 characters; I never use a password that long. When I go to enter my regular password to log-in to eM Client, my password is only 10 characters and it must be the correct one since it loads eM Client normally. But when I go to change the 28 characters it says it needs to know the 28 character password but it won’t let me copy the 28 character password I have no idea what the 28 character password is! When I click OK, it returns to the 28 character password. Suggestions?

Settings>General>Password Protection

The main eM Client program startup password is totally separate to your email account password.

But how do I change the 28 character PW since I have no idea what it is!

I confirmed my eM Client password (10 characters) via my Norton Password Manager, so I feel confident that we can rule out that issue! I also noticed that the POP3 server is missing from the eM Client Accounts selections and I can’t find anyway to include POP3. Is there a way since older versions of eM Client literature indicates that it used to be available. Please advise. I also did not get a reponse from you re the differences between the log-on password and the Settings>General>Password Protection. Botton line - I still am unable to send or receive emails & I hate to lose eM Client as my email provider but I’m at wit’s end what to do next!

I still am unable to send or receive emails & I hate to lose eM Client as my email provider but I’m at wit’s end what to do next!

Sry i cannot give you any further advise on your IMAP password issue. Good luck.

I also noticed that the POP3 server is missing from the eM Client Accounts selections and I can’t find anyway to include POP3

You can add POP accounts via “Add Account / Mail / Other”.

Bill, looking at this discussion, it is not clear to me whether you (want to) use IMAP or POP3 to access your messages on the mail server. You wouldn’t use both, and you even can’t. If you use IMAP, the messages are stored on the mail server. If you use POP3, you download them onto your local eM Client and they are usually deleted from the server. I suppose that IMAP is your choice. As you have apparently found your eM Client password, you only need to find or reset your IMAP password, i.e. the one to access the server. If you can’t find it, you can only contact AOL/Verizon and ask them to reset it.

1 Like

Hi eisbaer,

Thanks for your reply! Unfortunately, I’ve tried everything that you and Cyberzork have suggested &, I’m sorry to say, nothing worked! BTW, you should know that my eM Client was working perfectly until about a week ago, so I have no clue as to what has happened since but I’m willing to start from scratch but I would appreciate “step-by-step” instructions as to doing this. I’ve tried with same log-in names & different passwords but it won’t let me do it! I’m scared to death that I’ll lose all my folders, calenders, etc., but at wit’s end here! Restarting from scratch will resolve the log-in password & the Settings>Password Protection issue! Suggestions, please.

Bill