No updates or notifications from subfolders?

The notification of the folder change is there, but is not available as a system/pop-up notification. 

Maybe propose it as an Idea on this forum.

6 years later… :smiley:
No changes in sight on the matter even with eMC 8 around the corner

Hello, to this day after 6 years the emails in the subfolders are still not notified? I am an employee of a company and we are testing the client but for us it is essential to work with notifications. Something new?

Hello Aalonso,

The notifications for subfolders weren’t unfortunately implemented in version 8.
However, I added your voice to this feature request.

Russel

Hi,

How is it possible that you have an email client that doesn’t notify you of the email?

I have seen that since 2014 you have already requested the functionality, what is the wait for?

Thanks in advance,

@Russel_Markosky Glad to see your reply in this thread. I wonder if I may check something.

It sounds as though checking new unread mail in sub-folders has never been a feature of eM Client. Certainly responses in this thread seems to suggest it was not in versions 6, 7 or, now, 8.

My experience has been slightly different: for me in version 7 it does work - but in version 8 it does not.

FYI I am running Windows 10 2004 and use eM Client for a single Outlook.com account which I just added to eM Client by selecting Outlook.com as the new account type and giving email address and password. So, in particular, I am not setting it up as IMAP or Exchange or fiddling with any settings. In particular, in line with advice given earlier in this thread, there is no “Download messages for offline use” option visible in any of my account settings in v7 that I turned on. Yet my experience is this:

• In v7 refreshing mail results in all email being synchronised to all folders - ie, including those mails that have been moved to sub-folders, but not yet read, by server-side rules - and all new unread mails regardless of folder showing up in the Smart folder ‘Unread’.
  • In v8 with exactly the same settings (as a fresh install) or following migration from v7 to v8, the behaviour is that only new unread mail in ‘Inbox’ is shown in the Smart folder ‘Unread’ and new mail in other folders simply have the three dots to right of the folder instead of showing the number of synced unread messages.

This behaviour of v8 breaks my default workflow of simply checking the Smart folder ‘Unread’ for all new mail, including junk newsletters that I have automatically moved to sub-folders by server-side rules. That way I can attend to urgent new mail but dismiss of save for later new, but low-priority mass-mailings or offers. The ability to do this was the main reason I migrated to eM Client a few years back.

FYI I posted on this here and others have mentioned it in other threads. To those of us commenting there it seemed a new problem introduced in v8, but unknown to me until now it seems to have plagued some types of account for some years.

I just wanted to confirm whether this change in behaviour is an intentional development in v8 or whether I - and many others - just got lucky in v7. My suspicion is that I was lucky in v7 and the under-the-hood re-write of v8 has removed the functionality that worked so well for me.

For now I have downgraded to the final version of v7 as being the only version of eM Client that does automatically sync sub-folders. It would be extremely useful to know whether the current v8 behaviour is likely to change back to the default of v7, since periodically upgrading to v8 to see if it has been fixed is, as I am sure you’ll appreciate, quite a time-consuming endeavour.

Cheers,

David

1 Like

Just want to add that I’ve uninstalled eM client over the lack of this functionality. Thunderbird has it and it’s absolutely necessary for anyone who uses subfolders on an IMAP server with server-side delivery rules.

There is no way you can call yourself an email client if you do not notify users of emails.

1 Like

Maybe the server isn’t sending eM Client PUSH notifications for those it has moved to other folders, so eM Client has nothing to notify you of. But I wonder if the notifications are maybe also server-dependent. As I mentioned above, I don’t get them on server-side moves when using Thunderbird or Evolution either.

Hi. I just got (and paid for) eM Client because I have become exceedingly frustrated with Thunderbird and a lot of people recommended this software. I’ve been becoming a more heavy email user lately as with my work picking up so I needed a powerful client. eM is amazing in almost every respect, but this is a deal breaker for me. It feels weird how in over 6 years, all the team members have said in here is “it’s not possible with eM Client” when even other free clients offer the ability, then when someone knowledgeable demonstrates how to do it in actual eM-compatible code, the reponse is “oh, okay, we’ll take a look” — and then that never happens.

I’m a little disappointed to be honest; this is my first ever “paid” third party mail client and it seems unable to do push or show notifications for subfolders without having to download the actual messages (what’s the point of IMAP then?) or needing client side sorting to make it happen, essentially disallowing me from using my sorting anywhere else, on the road etc?

With that said, if it’s truly technologically impossible to display the number of new messages as well as a notification, I feel at least a notification about folder changes as demonstrated above should be a feature in a pro mail client.

I really hope an upcoming version will add this feature, as it seems no big deal to implement and I don’t understand the team’s hesitation to do so. If not, I’ll switch back at some point. Thanks for reading, and thanks for an otherwise awesome client.

1 Like

I must have missed that, or was it in another thread? If so, can you give the link please.

Hi Gary,

Even if this does not solve the issue as to showing instant, precise numbers within the client, a mere “folder change notification” on desktop would go a long way, imo. Thank you.

The lack of this feature is keeping me away from using eM Client. Hope one day devs will understand how important it is.

I agree with the other comments here. I was looking for a good email client to purchase, and eM Client looks good, but the lack of notifications for subfolders is a deal breaker for me, as I sort a large portion of my emails into subfolders via server-side Sieve rules.

1 Like

It was when Matthew1 pointed out that eMClient already uses the IMAP IDLE command to check the inbox — all they’d have to do is run the IDLE command on the various subfolders too, to get notifications. Since this would require more concurrent connections to the server it should of course be an opt-in setting, but it’s certainly far from impossible (and in fact many other clients implement it, making this a sore shortcoming of eM Client).

My partner uses eM Client for our personal mail and calendar, and other than this Grand Canyon of a feature gap it’s a great product… but without support for such a relatively simple function, I can get by just using GMail and my phone for a calendar, and she’s not planning to drop $120 on a lifetime license because she’s effectively still shopping around for a client that can check all the other boxes and this. So yeah – to the eM Client team, this one feature is costing you $240. Sure it’s not much in the grand scheme of things… but how many other users are hesitating to buy a license due to this glaring omission?

3 Likes

FWIW, I recommended eM Client to Daniel15au (above), but he’s passing because of this missing feature… so that’s another $120 up in smoke.

2 Likes

Then she doesn’t need to purchase a license. The Free License (as in FREE) will be just fine.

Correct, she doesn’t need to; however, we believe in supporting quality software. Also, she is preparing to launch an art business, at which point the only ethical option would be to purchase a license — or switch to different software.

1 Like

Yeah, of course. It is great to support your favorite software that way. :smile:

And also, looking ahead, you may want to add more email accounts even if you don’t end up using it for business.

It is an odd situation. I use server-side filtering a lot because it is more practical when using multiple devices, but then there is the 1 minute delay with eM Client syncing those folders.

But I could let eM Client do the filtering and get notifications in real-time.

A delay isn’t much of a problem. Not seeing notifications is a big issue though. In my case I never actually saw the emails auto-update in eM Client; it just showed a “…” after the folder name that didn’t actually seem to do anything.

I’m trying another client now (Mailspring), which has a similar issue in that notifications only appear for emails in the inbox, but at least the app is open-source so I can just (attempt to) fix it myself.

I think you should try Thunderbird too :wink: