No PGP-Support

We have decided to use and follow different standards, maybe in the future we will consider PGP but at this moment it is not considered.

Jan

OK, well, that’s disappointing. I’m out. I’m a paid eM Client user but I’ve just uninstalled it and will be trying, I guess, Outlook with the gpg4o commercial plugin.

PGP support is non-negotiable for me. My wife and I sometimes discuss parenting decisions, finances, etc. over email, and I want those conversations to stay private for what I would hope are obvious reasons.

I’m not thrilled about using a Microsoft app again – heaven only knows what vulnerabilities exist in it – but Postbox is using a 2-year-old version of Enigmail; Thunderbird is too ugly and is awkward and fragile to configure if you want the full email, calendar, and contacts experience; Mailbird isn’t supporting PGP either and are acting just as confused and intransigent about the demand for it as eMC; KMail consumes huge amounts of resources on Windows and isn’t particularly stable; and Claws is email-only where I’m really looking for a PIM that unifies email, contacts, calendar, all in one place.

This is the most frustrating part about eMC’s refusal to implement good encryption support: demand is finally growing due to the NSA revelations – though I’ve been using PGP since the late 90s – but there isn’t a good, attractive, inexpensive client on the market to meet that demand. It would be nice to see eMC capitalize on this.

If eM Client had PGP support on the roadmap, or a plugin architecture so interested parties could add it (actually, that would be better – we could also add OTR encryption over XMPP!) then I’d be prepared to wait. I’m not fanatical about using open source software and enjoy supporting small commercial vendors too. As a software developer myself, I also recognize that small shops have to prioritize their development priorities. I can be patient with that.

But you guys have been very clear that you not only have no plans to support encryption, but worse, don’t seem to understand what the big deal is. That’s disheartening, but that’s your privilege. Mine is to find another email client, regrettably.

It’s so sad that you don’t have plans to implement this, since it’s the second most wanted idea in here currently. This should tell you that people actually really want this!

Yes, I’m out too.
It’s a shame.

Please refer to official post.

Jan

Which Post is the official one?

You should be able to see in on top of this thread, borderlined by yellow.

Ahh I see well still the wrong reply!

Just adding my input that this is very much needed. Until this functionality is implemented, I can’t use nor recommend eM Client to friends and clients.

I often use GPG (copy/paste with eM Client). I add my vote to support PGP/GPG.

+1
I am a paying user (with life time support). I also want PGP to be included in em client.

+1
I using s/mime, but a lot of my contacts using pgp. i can’t understand why emclient not support pgp. it would be the first email client which support s/mime and pgp without a plugin.

+1
I currently use GPA (a component of GPG) to encrypt my message, then have to copy/paste the encrypted text into the text area of eM Client to send; then the reverse (copy from eM Client’s text area into GPA and then decrypt within GPA) to read incoming messages. It sure would be great to have eM Client recognize PGP encryption for incoming mail and automatically ask for the passphrase (or, after initial passphrase entry, retain the passphrase in memory as an option) and, for outgoing messages, provide a button for encryption/sign text.

+1
Adding PGP Support would make this e-mail client really “feature complete”. I think a lot of people are still using the “crappy old” Thunderbird because the integration of PGP is working there without too many problems. All other clients I tried were not working good enough for me with PGP. For now I will switch to eM Client but in the future it would be really nice to see PGP support so that I can totally move away from Thunderbird.

+1
Was considering to pay for pro but without it there is no difference to my current webmail client.

With the proposed SDK support PGP may become implemented by the community. All you need to do is give us the means to assist you.

PGP is the one core feature I am missing using em Client. Support would make em Client the perfect client for me.
Please start implementing it!

second most votes but is still ignored :frowning: so sad!

I support PGP too. We need it :slight_smile:

Essential PIM has it… I waited long enough…