'No connection to server' has become chronic problem

eM Client: 6.0.21040.0
Connecting to: Gmail

I have periodically had connections issues with eM Client in the past but over the past couple weeks it has become so bad as to be unusable. I don’t have issues using the native Windows email client nor do I have issues if I log into Gmail via my web browser (thus I doubt it’s my ISP or anything on my PC).

I really love eM Client but at this point I will have to switch to the native Windows client if there is no resolution. I searched the forum but haven’t been able to find a solution. Has something changed with Gmail recently and eM Client has not been updated yet to support the change?

I have logs that I can send and screenshots of the “Fix” option. When I tried “Fixing” it I could see it cycle through Gmail’s various ports but to no avail. What I found interesting is that it was trying on smtp.smtp.gmail.com.

Hi Karen, can you please describe the issue, what are you having issues with? Are you unable to send/receive messages? Are you seeing any errors while trying to synchronize your items?

Thank you,
Paul.

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the speedy reply. It started getting spotty the past 2 weeks where I would get “failed to connect to server” periodically but as of this past Saturday it has failed completely (but as mentioned the exact same connection through windows mail, gmail through the browser and gmail on my phone (all through wifi) work fine. After it failed Saturday I checked my app password in gmail and could see that I was authenticating fine (so it didn’t seem password related) but after authenticating I’m unable to send/receive email. I’m using the recommended imap and smtp ports as per Gmail docs (unless these have changed). Imap: 993 and SMTP: 587 & 465.

I have made absolutely no changes to anything for easily 6 months but I changed the password on Saturday after it seemed to have failed permanently just in case but still the same issue.

The general error is three parts and says “[GData] An attempt to connect to [email protected] failed. This could be caused by temporary server unavailability or incorrect settings.” [XMPP] An attempt to connect to [email protected] failed. This could be caused by temporary server unavailability or incorrect settings." [IMAP] An attempt to connect to [email protected] failed. This could be caused by temporary server unavailability or incorrect settings."

I have the log file and screenshots if needed or let me know if I can provide additional info.

Thanks.

Karen

Hi again Karen, when the error occurs, can you please switch to the “Log” tab, copy the content of the log and post it here on the forum?
Can you also please install this update on your computer and check if the issue persists, http://www.emclient.com/dist/v6.0.21289/setup.msi ?

Based on the errors you’re seeing it seems the application might be blocked by some security software and is thus unable to connect to the server, are you using any firewall/proxy/antivirus software on your computer?

Thank you,
Paul.

Hi Paul,

Thanks for this. I’m surprised about the client update. Before I even went down the path of posting this I did the “check for updates” in eM Client and kept getting the message that I had the latest version installed. If you’re saying there is a newer version I will try that first to see if it resolves my issues. If it doesn’t I will post my log files.

As for my firewall/antivirus software… “yes” I have these running but other than applying the usual updates I have made no changes to the settings in my firewall/antivirus software for over a year and as mentioned it has only been the past couple weeks that I have been experiencing chronic issues of connection failure (it would work then it wouldn’t, it would work then it wouldn’t) and as of this past Saturday (December 6th) eM Client has failed entirely. So if it is an update to my firewall/antivirus software that is causing the issue I will need help troubleshooting as I have looked at everything I can think of to troubleshoot but nothing has worked. I’m using Microsoft’s firewall and Windows Defender antivirus/malware software that comes with Win 8.1.

I will post again once I have updated eM Client to see if that resolves my issues.

Thanks.

Karen

OK so I upgraded to the latest version and ran diagnostics and “fix” and I thought I was making progress because it said it fixed my issues (which it couldn’t before) but ultimately I got the same error when I tried to manually send/receive. Below are my logs (I changed my email address but that’s it). Getting pretty close to un-installing eM Client. :frowning:

8:27:53 PM Online state: changed to online with reason NetworkAvailability
8:27:54 PM [email protected] [IMAP] Synchronizing subfolders: For folder [email protected]/
8:27:54 PM [email protected] [GData] Synchronizing folder list
8:27:55 PM [email protected] [GData] Synchronizing folder list
8:27:55 PM [email protected] [GData] Synchronizing folder list
8:27:56 PM [email protected] [GData] Synchronizing folder list
8:27:56 PM [email protected] [GData] Synchronizing folder ‘[email protected]/Contacts/’
8:27:57 PM [email protected] [GData] Synchronizing folder ‘[email protected]/Karen Norton/’
8:28:04 PM [email protected] [IMAP] Downloading message part…
8:28:14 PM [email protected] [IMAP] Downloading message part…: Done
8:28:14 PM [email protected] [IMAP] MailExceptions.ConnectionException: Failed opening connection to server.
8:28:14 PM ()
8:28:14 PM at MailClient.Imap.ConnectionPoolEntry.Reconnect()
8:28:14 PM at MailClient.Imap.ConnectionPoolEntry.Connect()
8:28:14 PM at MailClient.Imap.ConnectionPool.AcquireConnection(Folder mailFolder, Boolean idle, Boolean forStore)
8:28:14 PM at MailClient.Imap.Synchronizer.DownloadCommand.ExecuteInternal(WorkerStatus status)
8:28:14 PM at MailClient.Imap.Synchronizer.ImapCommand.Execute(WorkerStatus status)
8:28:14 PM at MailClient.Commands.Command.Process(WorkerStatus status)
8:28:20 PM [email protected] [IMAP] Downloading message part…
8:28:31 PM [email protected] [IMAP] Downloading message part…: Done
8:28:31 PM [email protected] [IMAP] MailExceptions.ConnectionException: Failed opening connection to server.
8:28:31 PM ()
8:28:31 PM at MailClient.Imap.ConnectionPoolEntry.Reconnect()
8:28:31 PM at MailClient.Imap.ConnectionPoolEntry.Connect()
8:28:31 PM at MailClient.Imap.ConnectionPool.AcquireConnection(Folder mailFolder, Boolean idle, Boolean forStore)
8:28:31 PM at MailClient.Imap.Synchronizer.DownloadCommand.ExecuteInternal(WorkerStatus status)
8:28:31 PM at MailClient.Imap.Synchronizer.ImapCommand.Execute(WorkerStatus status)
8:28:31 PM at MailClient.Commands.Command.Process(WorkerStatus status)
8:29:03 PM [email protected] [IMAP] Synchronizing subfolders: For folder [email protected]/
8:29:03 PM [email protected] [GData] Synchronizing folder list
8:29:03 PM [email protected] [GData] Synchronizing folder list
8:29:03 PM [email protected] [GData] Synchronizing folder ‘[email protected]/Contacts/’
8:29:13 PM [email protected] [IMAP] MailExceptions.ConnectionException: Failed opening connection to server.
8:29:13 PM ()
8:29:13 PM at MailClient.Imap.ConnectionPoolEntry.Reconnect()
8:29:13 PM at MailClient.Imap.ConnectionPoolEntry.Connect()
8:29:13 PM at MailClient.Imap.ConnectionPool.AcquireConnection(Folder mailFolder, Boolean idle, Boolean forStore)
8:29:13 PM at MailClient.Imap.ConnectionContext…ctor(ImapAccount account)
8:29:13 PM at MailClient.Imap.Synchronizer.SynchronizeFoldersCommand.ExecuteInternal(WorkerStatus status)
8:29:13 PM at MailClient.Imap.Synchronizer.ImapCommand.Execute(WorkerStatus status)
8:29:13 PM at MailClient.Commands.Command.Process(WorkerStatus status)
8:36:37 PM [email protected] [IMAP] Synchronizing subfolders: For folder [email protected]/
8:36:37 PM [email protected] [GData] Synchronizing folder list
8:36:38 PM [email protected] [GData] Synchronizing folder list
8:36:39 PM [email protected] [GData] Synchronizing folder list
8:36:39 PM [email protected] [GData] Synchronizing folder ‘[email protected]/Contacts/’
8:36:47 PM [email protected] [IMAP] MailExceptions.ConnectionException: Failed opening connection to server.
8:36:47 PM ()
8:36:47 PM at MailClient.Imap.ConnectionPoolEntry.Reconnect()
8:36:47 PM at MailClient.Imap.ConnectionPoolEntry.Connect()
8:36:47 PM at MailClient.Imap.ConnectionPool.AcquireConnection(Folder mailFolder, Boolean idle, Boolean forStore)
8:36:47 PM at MailClient.Imap.ConnectionContext…ctor(ImapAccount account)
8:36:47 PM at MailClient.Imap.Synchronizer.SynchronizeFoldersCommand.ExecuteInternal(WorkerStatus status)
8:36:47 PM at MailClient.Imap.Synchronizer.ImapCommand.Execute(WorkerStatus status)
8:36:47 PM at MailClient.Commands.Command.Process(WorkerStatus status)
8:36:56 PM [email protected] [IMAP] Synchronizing subfolders: For folder [email protected]/
8:36:56 PM [email protected] [GData] Synchronizing folder list
8:36:56 PM [email protected] [GData] Synchronizing folder list
8:36:56 PM [email protected] [GData] Synchronizing folder ‘[email protected]/Contacts/’
8:37:06 PM [email protected] [IMAP] MailExceptions.ConnectionException: Failed opening connection to server.
8:37:06 PM ()
8:37:06 PM at MailClient.Imap.ConnectionPoolEntry.Reconnect()
8:37:06 PM at MailClient.Imap.ConnectionPoolEntry.Connect()
8:37:06 PM at MailClient.Imap.ConnectionPool.AcquireConnection(Folder mailFolder, Boolean idle, Boolean forStore)
8:37:06 PM at MailClient.Imap.ConnectionContext…ctor(ImapAccount account)
8:37:06 PM at MailClient.Imap.Synchronizer.SynchronizeFoldersCommand.ExecuteInternal(WorkerStatus status)
8:37:06 PM at MailClient.Imap.Synchronizer.ImapCommand.Execute(WorkerStatus status)
8:37:06 PM at MailClient.Commands.Command.Process(WorkerStatus status)
8:37:36 PM [email protected] [SMTP] Connecting: To [email protected]
8:37:37 PM [email protected] [SMTP] Connected: To [email protected]
8:37:37 PM [email protected] [SMTP] Sending messages
8:37:40 PM [email protected] [SMTP] Disconnected: From [email protected]
8:37:40 PM [email protected] [SMTP] Disconnected: Done
8:37:40 PM [email protected] [IMAP] Uploading messages: To folder [email protected]/[Gmail]/Sent Mail
8:37:50 PM [email protected] [IMAP] Uploading messages: Done
8:37:50 PM [email protected] [IMAP] MailExceptions.ConnectionException: Failed opening connection to server.
8:37:50 PM ()
8:37:50 PM at MailClient.Imap.ConnectionPoolEntry.Reconnect()
8:37:50 PM at MailClient.Imap.ConnectionPoolEntry.Connect()
8:37:50 PM at MailClient.Imap.ConnectionPool.AcquireConnection(Folder mailFolder, Boolean idle, Boolean forStore)
8:37:50 PM at MailClient.Imap.Synchronizer.AppendCommand.ExecuteInternal(WorkerStatus status)
8:37:50 PM at MailClient.Imap.Synchronizer.ImapCommand.Execute(WorkerStatus status)
8:37:50 PM at MailClient.Commands.Command.Process(WorkerStatus status)
8:37:52 PM [email protected] [IMAP] Synchronizing subfolders: For folder [email protected]/
8:37:52 PM [email protected] [GData] Synchronizing folder list
8:37:53 PM [email protected] [GData] Synchronizing folder list
8:37:53 PM [email protected] [GData] Synchronizing folder ‘[email protected]/Contacts/’
8:38:03 PM [email protected] [IMAP] MailExceptions.ConnectionException: Failed opening connection to server.
8:38:03 PM ()
8:38:03 PM at MailClient.Imap.ConnectionPoolEntry.Reconnect()
8:38:03 PM at MailClient.Imap.ConnectionPoolEntry.Connect()
8:38:03 PM at MailClient.Imap.ConnectionPool.AcquireConnection(Folder mailFolder, Boolean idle, Boolean forStore)
8:38:03 PM at MailClient.Imap.ConnectionContext…ctor(ImapAccount account)
8:38:03 PM at MailClient.Imap.Synchronizer.SynchronizeFoldersCommand.ExecuteInternal(WorkerStatus status)
8:38:03 PM at MailClient.Imap.Synchronizer.ImapCommand.Execute(WorkerStatus status)
8:38:03 PM at MailClient.Commands.Command.Process(WorkerStatus status)
8:38:23 PM [email protected] [IMAP] Synchronizing subfolders: For folder [email protected]/
8:38:23 PM [email protected] [GData] Synchronizing folder list
8:38:24 PM [email protected] [GData] Synchronizing folder list
8:38:24 PM [email protected] [GData] Synchronizing folder ‘[email protected]/Contacts/’
8:38:33 PM [email protected] [IMAP] MailExceptions.ConnectionException: Failed opening connection to server.
8:38:33 PM ()
8:38:33 PM at MailClient.Imap.ConnectionPoolEntry.Reconnect()
8:38:33 PM at MailClient.Imap.ConnectionPoolEntry.Connect()
8:38:33 PM at MailClient.Imap.ConnectionPool.AcquireConnection(Folder mailFolder, Boolean idle, Boolean forStore)
8:38:33 PM at MailClient.Imap.ConnectionContext…ctor(ImapAccount account)
8:38:33 PM at MailClient.Imap.Synchronizer.SynchronizeFoldersCommand.ExecuteInternal(WorkerStatus status)
8:38:33 PM at MailClient.Imap.Synchronizer.ImapCommand.Execute(WorkerStatus status)
8:38:33 PM at MailClient.Commands.Command.Process(WorkerStatus status)
8:39:44 PM [email protected] [SMTP] Connecting: To [email protected]
8:39:45 PM [email protected] [SMTP] Connected: To [email protected]
8:39:45 PM [email protected] [SMTP] Sending messages
8:39:47 PM [email protected] [SMTP] Disconnected: From [email protected]
8:39:47 PM [email protected] [SMTP] Disconnected: Done
8:39:47 PM [email protected] [IMAP] Uploading messages: To folder [email protected]/[Gmail]/Sent Mail
8:39:57 PM [email protected] [IMAP] Uploading messages: Done
8:39:57 PM [email protected] [IMAP] MailExceptions.ConnectionException: Failed opening connection to server.
8:39:57 PM ()
8:39:57 PM at MailClient.Imap.ConnectionPoolEntry.Reconnect()
8:39:57 PM at MailClient.Imap.ConnectionPoolEntry.Connect()
8:39:57 PM at MailClient.Imap.ConnectionPool.AcquireConnection(Folder mailFolder, Boolean idle, Boolean forStore)
8:39:57 PM at MailClient.Imap.Synchronizer.AppendCommand.ExecuteInternal(WorkerStatus status)
8:39:57 PM at MailClient.Imap.Synchronizer.ImapCommand.Execute(WorkerStatus status)
8:39:57 PM at MailClient.Commands.Command.Process(WorkerStatus status)
8:40:05 PM [email protected] [IMAP] Synchronizing messages: For folder [email protected]/[Gmail]/Sent Mail

BTW: Your developers need to check the “Check for update” feature in eM Client because it kept telling me there was no update available (which seemed to suggest I was running the latest version). So I’m not sure if you folks changed where you store the update files but the client wasn’t finding the version you gave me the link for.

Thank you, for the received data, can you please navigate to Tools > Settings > Advanced and enable IMAP logging for the problematic account?

1. Save the settings
  2. Restart the application
  3. Replicate the issue
    After the issue reoccurs, please go back to the advanced setting window and click on “Send logs” and send the logs to my email, [email protected] with a reference link to this forum topic.

Also, thank you for the suggestion, however the update you’ve received is an internal update so it should not be pushed to you automatically using the “Check for update” feature.

Regards,
Paul.

Hello Paul,

Thanks for letting me know about the update being internal and not for broad release. That makes sense as to they the “Check for updates” didn’t work.

As for enabling IMAP logging… I had everything enabled with the last log entry (IMAP, SMTP, XMPP and GData) but I deselected and selected everything again as well as restarted eM Client. Below is the log.

4:48:08 PM Online state: changed to online with reason NetworkAvailability
4:48:08 PM [email protected] [IMAP] Uploading messages: To folder [email protected]/[Gmail]/Sent Mail
4:48:08 PM [email protected] [IMAP] Synchronizing subfolders: For folder [email protected]/
4:48:09 PM [email protected] [GData] Synchronizing folder list
4:48:09 PM [email protected] [GData] Synchronizing folder list
4:48:10 PM [email protected] [GData] Synchronizing folder list
4:48:11 PM [email protected] [GData] Synchronizing folder list
4:48:11 PM [email protected] [GData] Synchronizing folder ‘[email protected]/Contacts/’
4:48:12 PM [email protected] [GData] Synchronizing folder ‘[email protected]/Karen Norton/’
4:48:18 PM [email protected] [IMAP] Uploading messages: Done
4:48:18 PM [email protected] [IMAP] Downloading message part…
4:48:19 PM [email protected] [IMAP] MailExceptions.ConnectionException: Failed opening connection to server.
4:48:19 PM ()
4:48:19 PM at MailClient.Imap.ConnectionPoolEntry.Reconnect()
4:48:19 PM at MailClient.Imap.ConnectionPoolEntry.Connect()
4:48:19 PM at MailClient.Imap.ConnectionPool.AcquireConnection(Folder mailFolder, Boolean idle, Boolean forStore)
4:48:19 PM at MailClient.Imap.Synchronizer.AppendCommand.ExecuteInternal(WorkerStatus status)
4:48:19 PM at MailClient.Imap.Synchronizer.ImapCommand.Execute(WorkerStatus status)
4:48:19 PM at MailClient.Commands.Command.Process(WorkerStatus status)
4:48:29 PM [email protected] [IMAP] Downloading message part…: Done
4:48:29 PM [email protected] [IMAP] MailExceptions.ConnectionException: Failed opening connection to server.
4:48:29 PM ()
4:48:29 PM at MailClient.Imap.ConnectionPoolEntry.Reconnect()
4:48:29 PM at MailClient.Imap.ConnectionPoolEntry.Connect()
4:48:29 PM at MailClient.Imap.ConnectionPool.AcquireConnection(Folder mailFolder, Boolean idle, Boolean forStore)
4:48:29 PM at MailClient.Imap.Synchronizer.DownloadCommand.ExecuteInternal(WorkerStatus status)
4:48:29 PM at MailClient.Imap.Synchronizer.ImapCommand.Execute(WorkerStatus status)
4:48:29 PM at MailClient.Commands.Command.Process(WorkerStatus status)
4:48:30 PM [email protected] [IMAP] Synchronizing subfolders: For folder [email protected]/
4:48:30 PM [email protected] [GData] Synchronizing folder list
4:48:31 PM [email protected] [GData] Synchronizing folder list
4:48:31 PM [email protected] [GData] Synchronizing folder ‘[email protected]/Contacts/’
4:48:41 PM [email protected] [IMAP] MailExceptions.ConnectionException: Failed opening connection to server.
4:48:41 PM ()
4:48:41 PM at MailClient.Imap.ConnectionPoolEntry.Reconnect()
4:48:41 PM at MailClient.Imap.ConnectionPoolEntry.Connect()
4:48:41 PM at MailClient.Imap.ConnectionPool.AcquireConnection(Folder mailFolder, Boolean idle, Boolean forStore)
4:48:41 PM at MailClient.Imap.ConnectionContext…ctor(ImapAccount account)
4:48:41 PM at MailClient.Imap.Synchronizer.SynchronizeFoldersCommand.ExecuteInternal(WorkerStatus status)
4:48:41 PM at MailClient.Imap.Synchronizer.ImapCommand.Execute(WorkerStatus status)
4:48:41 PM at MailClient.Commands.Command.Process(WorkerStatus status)
4:48:50 PM [email protected] [IMAP] Synchronizing messages: For folder [email protected]/[Gmail]/Sent Mail

Thanks.

Karen