Nextcloud attachments not converted/sent as links

Dear all,

Upgraded from 7.2 to 8.2 on two clients (no problem at all), I have tried to use attachments feature linked to my Nextcloud 21 instance.

No issue for configuring it.(User, Application Password, URL, Local folder)

Creating a short test email with an attachment located on my local replica nextcloud folder.
file is ‘uploaded’/sent to Nextcloud in a new folder so called ~ ‘eM Client Pièces jointes’ in my mother tong.
If I look on the email source, attachement is fully part of it and wasn’t replaced by a link to Nextcloud. does I made something wrong or missed some step ?
Best Regards

Using version 9.0.1708 I can add an attachment and upload it to my NextCloud. Clicking the file entry in emClient opens the download area of my cloud. → works as expected.

BUT

Opening this e-mail in my web-based email reader (browser window) there is neither a link to the file nor an attachment.

I know that this worked fine for me, seems as if it fails since last update (s. version above) but I can’t say this for sure.

Seems as if this points in the same direction as described above and seems to be solved (no more questions/no hints). Would be nice to get some solution ideas here…

Hello / Gruss Got :-),
I did the same test from my em_client (8.2.1721) and attachment is copied to the Nextcloud folder (as configured through em_client interface wit application password (Nextcloud version is the current as of today (24.0.2).
From Webmail of my ISP, attachment is there (mime attachment within the mail…no link
From mail plugin of Nextcloud, same also.
Note : On recipient side, I never got a link from the beginning of this implementation …misconfiguration from my side ?

Hope this help
Note : I saw you are using the last release of em-client which sound to me as (except if i’m wrong) a non terminated/completed implementation and avoid me to wait before upgrading to newer release.

Tried version 9.1.2109 – no improvement.

Seems, as if Document-Reference: is only supported on Windows or by a few email clients. Mac: I don’t know.

Link is not obtainable in browser based client and Android client.

It should be possible, to copy the URL after upload for embedding it manually into the email. Currently, I have to open my NextCloud to do this – which is quite cumbersome.

Version 9.2.1185 (f030a8a) still no solution. The (next)cloud upload is useless if I have no guarantee that the recipient will see the link.

Fatally, even the paperclip for attachment is shown in emClient - the recipient with another email program (e.g. a webmailer) does not get any indication that an attachment or a link to an attachment is missing in the email.

UPDATE/EDIT:

Accidentally, I came across this just a few minutes ago.
(Would have been nice, If someone had told me that.)
For those, looking for a solution:
copynextcloudlink

Opening this e-mail in my web-based email reader (browser window) there is neither a link to the file nor an attachment

That sounds like a limitation of the web-based mail reader as the attachment should definitely be there. Which web-based mail reader are you using?

Have you tried forwarding that sent email to a different email address of your own to see if the attachment then shows in that Webmail GUI? Eg: do you have a free Outlook.com or Gmail.com acct to test to see if they show the attachment or not when received from eM Client.

The (next)cloud upload is useless if I have no guarantee that the recipient will see the link

Recipients normally don’t need the actual url link for cloud uploaded attachments, as they just click on the attachment in the received email and either open it directly or save / download it.

But if you need to provide the url link in the body as well, then you can as per your anim demo above. I personally have never needed to provide the link for any uploaded cloud file attachments.

@NoSi1 you didn’t say what webmail you are using. Maybe they don’t display HTML messages?

Can you try view it in webmail for another provider?

Otherwise, you can check everything is setup correctly. First, go to Menu > Settings > Mail > Attachments and add NextCloud as an option.

When that is done, add an attachment to a new email you are composing. You will see this popup when you click on Send. It is important that you select the cloud service you want to use, and then click on it.

You will see it uploading.

Once the message is sent, the recipient will see it in their webmail or applications like the following examples.

1. Outlook webmail:

2. Gmail webmail:

3. eM Client:

4. Thunderbird:

You will notice that eM Client automatically adds some text in the message body with the link, so you don’t need to copy and paste it yourself. Note that we don’t display the link in the body in eM Client because the attachment icon is a clickable link. We do provide this text for others, as some like Gmail and Thunderbird may not display the attachment icon.

1 Like

I have emClient version 9.2.1628 with two accounts.

I have just sent a message with NextCloud attachment from account A to account B.

The attachment was uploaded, in account B of emClient it is displayed as attachment(NextCloud) - but no text with download link.

When I retrieve this message with my cell phone (fully HTML enabled client), any reference to the attached file or reference to the file in NextCloud is missing.

It is kind of lottery, if it depends on the recipient program whether a link is displayed as a file attachment, as text (Thunderbird?) or just “neither”.

I remember that a text was created in early version 7. I can not remember, when this got lost – some clients pointed out that mentioned attachments are missing.

Currently, I help myself as shown above, but:

One client asked, a few days ago, why there are two links to the same download. It turned out, that he had my manually link and an additional text from emClient (Outlook user, version unknown).

This is crap.

PLEASE, give me the option, to switch off the “accidental” notice of emClient and offer the download link directly within the context menu clicking on the file instead of “hover and wait”.

I need a reliable process for that.

Addendum:

It may depend on the e-mail provider whether or how the display takes place. This would mean that a proprietary protocol decides about the display. However, I must be able to rely on the fact that my sent e-mails look exactly like the ones at the recipient’s and vice versa. Independent of the program used, independent of the provider.