New Search Folder Filtering

So, I just upgraded to the latest version of eM Client v8.2. I noticed that if I go to move an email to a folder and use the “search” field, that eM Client now only displays folders that match that search criteria (and that folder’s parent folders).

While it is nice that you can search for a term that is anywhere in a folder as opposed to searching from the start of the folder name, I found that this new feature actually hampers me.

I have many folders that are a category with sub-folders below that will be a year. In the past, I would just search for the category and then could scroll down a few folders to get to the proper folder that I want to move the email into. Now, if I search on the category, I can’t see the year folders that are below it. I now need to search for the year, which then gives a lot of folders that I have to scroll through to find the one I want.

Is there any way to have the Move Folder search display the folders like it used to and just jump to the folder that matches the text of the search?

Thanks,
Merg

It does. It will only display folders that match the search criteria.

But I think you are asking for the Move to Folder popup search to display folders not specified in the search field - so the year folder beneath the category.

Kind of like a hybrid search, that displays the folder matching what you searched for, but also any child folders?

Kinda…

Previously, it would still display your full hierarchy of folders, but would jump to a match of what your were typing as long as the folder name started with the text you were typing and that folder visible in master folder list (basically, the tree was open and not closed).

The new way of searching will search for your text anywhere in the folder name and displays that folder no matter if it falls in a folder tree is open or closed. The issue is that it only displays that folder and those above it in the tree.

I routinely have folders that are have the same name under master names, so this makes jumping to those folders now difficult.

For example…

• Utilities
    • Electric
    • Gas
    • Water

So, if I wanted to move a Water bill from 2021 to its folder, I would click on the Move button, type in “Water” and the pop-up dialog would jump down to Water and then I would scroll down to 2021 (or just pick 2021 off of the list). Now, if I type in “Water”, I can’t see the year folders. If I type in “2021” though, I would end seeing all the following:

• Utilities

• Electric
    • Gas
    • Water
  • Merg

2 Likes

I would recommend renaming the folders like Electric-21 etc. It is always confusing having same folder names, no matter where. Just a suggestion though :slight_smile:

The Search filter when typing folders is not showing subfolders when (I type in a search filter) using the “Move to Folder” option in eM Client as in my Gmail example below.

However sub folders (are showing ok online in Gmail) using the same search filter.

Currently using eM Client V8.2.1509 Windows.

(Created a “Test” Folder in my Gmail acct with a subfolder 2020 and 2021)

(Clicked on an email in the Gmail Inbox and selected “Move to Folder” without typing a filter) shows both new subfolders in Gmail under Test ok.

(Clicked on an email in the Gmail Inbox and selected “Move to Folder” and typing a filter) shows no new 2020 or 2021 subfolders in Gmail ?.

Repairing the Gmail account in eM Client makes no difference to the issue. Also removing the account and re-adding the account makes no difference.

If i then click on the same email in my Inbox in Gmail (Online via the web) and click “Move to Folder” and type the filter search “Test” i do see the Parent Test folder and Sub folders 2020 & 2021 ok.

So there is an issue where (typing a filter) in the Move To Folder option is (not showing) the sub folders in eM Client. This issue also happens using the “Copy to Folder” option when you type in a search filter.

Correct.

In eM Client you are searching for Test, so as 2020 does not meet the search criteria, it is not displayed in the results.

@Gary

In eM Client you are searching for Test, so as 2020 does not meet the search criteria, it is not displayed in the results

The sub folders 2020 & 2021 under Test should also be displayed (Like they are in Gmail online) as they are part of the parent folder “like in my Gmail online example above” when you type in a search parent folder / label filter name Test. eM Client is (just not) displaying it the same way.

I suspect this is how eM Client is meant to work as seems stupid that it wouldn’t, and (is actually a bug) that it’s not showing the sub folders / labels associated under it, when the parent folder / label is shown.

As I said eM Client (is displaying the sub folders ok) “when you don’t type in a filter search” using copy to folder or move to folder. It’s just when you type in a search filter where the problem arises that is not a problem in Gmail online.

This is a similar issue to @The_Merg above where the (full hierarchy) of sub folders (are not being displayed) when you type search words in the copy to folder and move to folder where all sub folders should always be shown. I would put this issue to eM Client devs as is an issue that needs fixing.

Yes, if you don’t specify a filter then everything is visible.

But if you filter for folder = test, how can that show folder = 2020?

@Gary

But if you filter for folder = test , how can that show folder = 2020

Just like in (Gmail online does) when you search, it also shows any attached subfolders under that search folder / label name.

So the search in copy to folder and move to folder jumps down to that folder / label name eg: Test and also shows any sub folders underneath / attached to it (like in the Gmail screenshot) online.

In Gmail these are actually labels not folders. That they call the label Test/2020 is their method. In eM Client the folder is 2020, not Test/2020

@Gary

Yes i understand the folders in Gmail online are labels, but these are still labels under the parent labels online so eM Client (like in Gmail online) should also be able to display (the same full hierarchy) of sub labels when the parent label is shown in the filter search.

Just a matter of programming eM Client the same, as without it what’s the point of having the search in copy to folder or move to folder when you (only show the parent label) & not also what’s attached.

Same programming should also be applied to eg: any IMAP / Exchange type account folders that have sub folders underneath them where a user types a search word in the copy to or move to button.

If your folder in eM Client is 2020, please explain how filtering for folder = test can ever provide 2020 as a valid result.

So, if you have an Inbox with 600 sub-folders, and you want to move a message to one of those sub-folders, filtering is a means to remove anything that does not include the characters you type. If you type Inbox in the filter and all 600 sub-folders that don’t contain those characters were retuned in the result, what would be the purpose of filtering?

@Gary

The idea of the search in the copy to folder and move to folder in my opinion and (like Gmail currently does with the Move to label option online), is to jump to the label / folder name you searched for and display any attached sub labels / folders under that. Simple & works. Similar to the @The_Merg example search filter “Water” which should show under the "Water folder both the 2020 & 2021 folders.

Anyway i’m sure eM Client dev’s know how the Gmail filter search works and hopefully will implement that method in the future to also show the full hierarchy of sub folders underneath it which is the issue that was started at the top of this ticket that also applies to myself with a similar situation.

Currently due to this eM Client issue of not showing the sub folders via the search filter, I have to use instead the “Drag to folder” option which always shows the sub folders ok or the "Copy to folder or "Move to folder (without the search filter) that again always shows the sub folders ok, but involves (alot of scrolling). So would be much quicker for me to type in a search word to find the folder and also display all sub folders as well under it if can be programmed like that.

You want to filter for folders called test, but you want the result to show those called 2020 instead.

eM Client can’t do that. It does not return a whole folder tree that may include 2020, but only folders that match what you are filtering on. Sorry.

I don’t know what else to say @cyberzork.

@Gary

As I mentioned before, the way that eM Client now handles the “search” in the Move To / Copy To windows is different than it had in the past. It is now doing a Filter where before it would just jump to the text that you typed in. When you have hundreds and possibly thousands of folders, there is a huge possibility that some sub-folders will have identical names (and I have that where many of my sub-folders are year numbers or year and months such as 2021-11, 2021-12, etc.).

Being able to jump to a parent folder and then just scroll down or select a sub-folder is a much needed and wanted ability. eM Client had this ability, but for some reason chose to get rid of it.

I think the other posters point is that Gmail has the ability to show your filtered selection and any sub-folders under that, so eM Client should also be able to do the same. I believe that eM Client does view folders as Labels, which is what Gmail does as well.

I’m just asking for the original functionality that eM Client had to be returned.

• Merg
1 Like

@cyberzork

Exactly what my point is… It would also be nice if eM Client also returned the functionality of having the Smart Folders stay at the top of the Folder list when you scroll down. That way you can easily jump back to the Inbox if you click on a folder name, but then need to quickly go back to the Inbox. Now you have to scroll all the way back to the top, click on Inbox, and then start scrolling all the way back down again.

• Merg
1 Like

@The_Merg

I think the other posters point is that Gmail has the ability to show your filtered selection and any sub-folders under that, so eM Client should also be able to do the same. I believe that eM Client does view folders as Labels, which is what Gmail does as well.

Yes exactly eM Client should be able to be able to do that.

@Gary

You want to filter for folders called test, but you want the result to show those called 2020 instead.

eM Client can’t do that. It does not return a whole folder tree that may include 2020, but only folders that match what you are filtering on. Sorry

Yes It shouldn’t be be a problem in my view to program eM Client search filter to show the label / folder you searched / filtered for (as well as any attached sub-folders) connected to those underneath, as they are also sub folders of that filter search name hierarchy. Just needs a bit more work done on it :thinking:

When you say eM Client “Carn’t do that”. Yes it currently (doesn’t do that as u say), but could be programmed to do that (like the Gmail filtering does now). Anything is possible in programming :smiley:

I would suggest to even update the copy to folder / move to folder search field to have a eg: Include sub folder “check box” at the end of the search filtering field in the window as per below screenshot.

I’ve seen this working in Mailbird also (like in Gmail): the filtering is not done on only the folder-name, but on the whole folder-path. This works like a charm!
The solution should not be that difficult: instead of filtering on only name of folder, do a filter on ‘name or any parent-folder-name’ (a.k.a. ‘full folder-path contains search-phrase’)

2 Likes