New contacts not saved

I can’t get new contacts to stay saved in the lynn.hern@… contacts list. After entry they appear on the list but when I access the list to send an e-mail they are gone.

Can you save new contacts in the ‘Contacts’ folder under ‘Contacts’?

See screen shot:

No. When I go to Contacts on the left side of the screen and check the contacts folder under lynn.hern@… and then try to add a new contact, the new contact appears in the contact list displayed. However, when I go back to inbox and then select new message and try to select addresses under the same contact list the new contact is not present. If I try to add contacts to the contact list under local folders, that seems to work.

Lynn

I went back and tried again. I don’t see anything a looks like the screen shot. I went new on the menu bar at the top and selected contacts. This gave me a screen to enter the new contact. To the right of the e-mail address entry was a square that I clicked on and this gave me a new screen listing the contacts in lynn.hern… contact list. In this screen was a little icon for new contacts. I clicked on it and got another copy of the screen to add new contacts. I entered the new contact and saved. The new contact did not show up on contacts list.

Next I repeated the process by going to the menu bar at the top and selected contacts. This gave me a screen to enter the new contact. This time I entered the new contact and saved. The new contact showed up on the contact list when I went to Contacts on the left side under Tasks. However when I went back and tried to address a new e-mail message the new contact had disappeared.

Lynn

To add a new contact:

1. select ‘contacts’ in the left bar

2. click on the ‘new’ button in the toolbar (which will add a new contact when the grid with contacts is shown)

3. fill in the dialog with contact data

4. click [save]

screen shot:

There is no need to click on the button next to the field where you can enter the e-mail address (in the ‘add contact’ window):

If needed, you can click on ‘To’ to select an e-mail address when composing an e-mail.

screen shot:

Hans:

Thanks for your reply. I followed your instructions and tried to enter a new address in the contacts list under lynn.hern@… The new contact was present in the contact list that appeared after I clicked on save. However, when I tried to address a new e-mail the new contact was not on the contact list.

I think I can save new contacts on the contact list under Local Folders but the contact list under my e-mail address still does not work

I’m only using 1 contact list…the one which you can see in my screen shot.

I typically use only one contact list also, the one under my E-mail address. Unfortunately, as explained earlier, I have not been able to update it with new contacts. Where is this list stored? I have been assuming that it is stored on some server and the contact list under local folders is stored on my PC. So far I have not found a good explanation of what the distinction is between smart folders, folders under the E-mail address and local folders or the rational behind having the three sets of folders.

Any help in resolving these matters would be greatly appreciated. The rest of eM Client seems to be working OK

Lynn

Hans:

I have determined the new contacts entered in the contact list under lynn.hern@… are saved in the local cache but they are not up loaded. Is there any obscure setting in eM Client that prevents the uploading?

Hi Lynn,

You might have a ‘contacts’ tab page in your account settings.

Tools --> Accounts

If so, there is probably an ‘enable service’ checkbox at the bottom of the tab page.

remark: I don’t have this ‘contacts’ tab page, so I’m not sure how it should work.

Hi, what provider for contacts synchronization do you use?

Jan

I am not aware of any provider for contact synchronization and I don’t really understand how it works. I use sbcglobal.net (now AT&T) for my email address and I think they provide the server that retains my messages and provide my DSL service. MS Internet Explorer 7 also can be used to access my email as well as a Samsung tablet I recently bought. Let me know how to find out who my provider is that provides synchronization.

Lynn

well then AT&T are your email provider (and also your contact synchronization provider).
Anyway go to Tools - Accounts - your account and tell me what tabs do you see?

Jan

I see General,IMAP,SMTP,CALENDAR,CONTACTS and DIAGNOSTICS

Hi Lynn,

Are you still using IE7?

I would advise you to upgrade to IE 11 if possible.

Sorry to sound so dumb but what is IE7? How do you upgrade to IE11

Lynn

Hans:

I am still using Internet Explorer 7 and have not changed to Internet Explorer 11 because other programs (Quick Books on line) do not work well with it.

Lynn

QuickBooks Online doesn’t work well with Internet Explorer 11? Wow!

Internet Explorer 7 is already 8 years old…

What about Internet Explorer 10 for example?

Hans:

Sorry but I gave you some bad information. My Internet Explorer has been updated to 11 and QB does work with it but there are some problems. Intuit recommends that one use Google Chrome instead.

Lynn

Hi, if you still experience this issue, go to Tools - Settings - Advanced and Check CalDAV under your account (if you see it there), apply and restart eM Client. Then try to recreate this issue and after that click on “send logs”.

send them to [email protected] with link to this topic in subject.

Jan