New computer, eM Client won't restore from backup

I have an older MS Surface and just bought a new one. I made sure to install the correct version of eM Client (v7) on the new one. I ran the backup on the old one, transferred it over to the new one. I had to get the paths to match first, but I finally got an error output (before I was just getting nothing, or a dialogue asking for the correct path to the backup folder).

Here is the error message I’m getting:

==================
System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path ‘C:\Users[redacted]\AppData\Roaming\eM Client\a67df22e-0f43-4cd8-a3a9-2b8188ece591\112ce8bb-8752-4bac-9c59-cd63a1494816’.
at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath, Boolean checkHost)
at System.IO.FileStream…ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize)
at DbBackup.FormBackup.Restore(String backupFile, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
at DbBackup.FormBackup.Restore(CancellationToken cancellationToken)
at DbBackup.FormBackup.<>c__DisplayClass28_0.<MainForm_Load>b__0(Object a, DoWorkEventArgs b)
at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.OnDoWork(DoWorkEventArgs e)
at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.WorkerThreadStart(Object argument)

Please help, as I have multiple email accounts managed here and don’t want to have to input them all again and lose my folder organization.

Thanks!

When you say you backed up EM Client, Did you use the eg: “Menu / Backup” option built-in ?

1 Like

Yes. It outputs a zip file which I transferred over to the new computer.

Was running into the same issue. Uninstalled/reinstalled EM Client on new PC and when I opened it the first time I selected Cancel (to bypass the initial setup). Then went to Menu>File>Restore and loaded my backup with no issue.

Interesting, because that’s the exact process I followed. I first had installed eM Client 8 and had to uninstall that before installing v7. Then I cancelled setup and went straight to the restore.

I think the error you quoted means that there is a problem with the backup zip file you are using. Can you make another one?

Yes, but this is the third. I’m transferring it over to the new computer intact via Google Drive, downloading it to the new computer, depositing it in the correct folder, then running restore. So I don’t think that’s it. My hunch is there’s a path difference between the two machines, since the old Surface didn’t have OneDrive backups turned on, and the new one does.

Just to confirm, you are making the backup using eM Client’s own Menu > Backup option?

1 Like

Correct. It outputs a zip file which I put in the proper folder on the new machine.

You could try extracting it manually with eM Client closed. The zip file is basically the contents of C:\Users[redacted]\AppData\Roaming\eM Client\ on the old computer, so extract it to the same location on the new computer. The username you redacted might be different, but you get the idea I am sure.

Interesting, I’ll give that a shot.

AppData\Roaming must be a hidden folder. I’m a Mac guy and the Surface is my wife’s. Any idea how to show hidden folders on the Surface?

Yes, in Windows Explorer you need to enable hidden items.

1 Like

Nope, gave me a corrupted database error. That’s OK, it gives me an excuse to completely uninstall again and start fresh. Frustrating, though.

Also, make sure the two versions of eM Client are the exact same. You can download all versions from the Release History.

Whatever version you used to backup cannot be a newer version than the one where you are trying to restore.

1 Like

@kmharper yes agree with @Gary the error appears to be a possible corrupted EMC backup database.

When you do the backup in Emclient, does it give you any error messages at the end ? You normally will see any errors in the tabs to the right of the backup in the “errors / logs” tabs.

Also did you try copying the Emclient .zip backup file via a eg USB stick or external USB drive to the new computer rather than transferring via Google drive ? Could be the .zip backup file even if had no errors on backup might be getting corrupted going through Google drive.

Lastly if the backup .zip file appears ok and you have Windows 10 on the old computer, I would personally download the latest version 8.1 of Emclient from the release history page (as per @Gary last message link above) and install that on the old computer which will update Emclient and then do another backup with the 8.1 ver. Might have been a glitch with the V7.x EMC backup program in that version.

No error messages on export. Was hoping to save the $30 on upgrading since the old version works fine for my wife’s needs, but will if necessary. I don’t see why a sideways backup/restore would be a problem. Haven’t tried a thumb drive xfr yet, but that seems a long shot…pretty sure that Google Drive would keep the file intact.

FYI, a clean install worked this time. I have no idea why. After the corrupted database error, I uninstalled eM Client completely, downloaded the same exact version as was installed on the old computer, checked the backup path, and dropped the backup zip file in that folder.

Then I ran the Restore function, and boom, it worked instantly.

Thanks for the help!

3 Likes